Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #1911
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
The.Knitter they appear to be either 12 or 16 inch needles. It depends on how big around the ribbing is. I have seen 12 inch needles by Addi, HiyaHiya and Balene. The advantage that I have seen is there is not a need for Magic Looping. You just keep knitting in circles. Therefore, there is not chance ladders as you ML or switch needles if you are using two circular needles. I have had problems with trying cable stitches on them but I am new to knitting and have problems with just about every thing.

The main thing I like about 12 inch needles (Balene's are really 11 inch) is that you do not lose time doing the ML or switching needles with 2 circular needles. All your time is in making stitches.

You can find the HiyaHiya needles at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hiyahiya-12-Circ...742.m153.l1262

they are nickel plated with a nylon cable and are a little cheaper than the Addi. Your YLS should be able to get the 12 Addi if the carry Addi.

Last edited by cacunn : 03-20-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: add ebay listing
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (03-20-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #1912
silegose
Knitting the Flap

Allison... Sorry I forgot you earlier... I LOVE the yellow.. It makes the purple POP. I Love the pattern also. Not sure that is something I want to tackle right now... the cable was enough learning for a few days.

FO: simple cable

http://silegose.blogspot.com/

Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #1913
silegose
Knitting the Flap

Well here they are. The sockamania socks. I do need to redo one of them. After trying it on today one was a little to small. I think I need to add another round of the cables pattern. I just dont get it. It seems like I always have one just a little OFF...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	simple cable sockamania.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	47507  

FO: simple cable

http://silegose.blogspot.com/

Old 03-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #1914
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
tangle~ can't wait to see the pictures!!

Tami~ Yay for spinning...mom is learning and loves it so far... now you know why I didn't try to hard to find my right gauge for those socks

Carla~ How exciting!! I'll have to bring this up to dh lol. I love the new throw it's so pretty...how much yarn did you use with it? I finished the Hemlock it's on my blog

Silegose~aww that's good...I had a lot done with my teeth growing up...I had this thing cemented to the top of my roof...and mom would turn the key every morning and night...I would have a space one day...no space next day...and then a face mask at night...then of course braces came...now what you wanted to go through at 13 .... YAY for finished socks, they are very pretty!! aww that stinks one is to small though...

Spring is here, goodbye winter!! I also had robins outside yesterday

I like the hiya dpns they are nice to work with...I like that they are 5"...I have wondered how the cabled ones hold up and the join...the CW shawl is getting very heavy and I'm afraid the needle will break like it did on the Hemlock...they make a long cable for a great price...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
fibrenut (03-20-2008), silegose (03-20-2008)
Old 03-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #1915
alleusion
Turning the Heel

So many posts to go through, I don't think I'm going to get them all. Silegose, I love those socks, they're beautiful.

Allison, the colours are great....would you over dye after knitting, or frog it our and redo it if you don't like the yellow?

As for me....I'm contracting like a fiend this morning, and OMFG it hurts! Just started timing them so I don't know how far apart they are, but I don't think it will be much longer. I've been losing my plug since last night. I'm on the verge of calling DH to come get me, but I don't want to go to the hospital in early early labor only to be sent home.

My back hurts....slashpout

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

The Following User Says Thank You to alleusion For This Useful Post:
silegose (03-20-2008)
Old 03-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #1916
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
How exciting! Hang in there sweetie!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Old 03-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #1917
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
I hope the little one comes quickly so you can get to hugging instead of lugging.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #1918
tangle2007
Ribbing the Cuff

How exciting!! The baby may arrive on the first day of spring

And I'm tangle2007 on Ravelry, too!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #1919
SteveDallas
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to SteveDallas Send a message via Yahoo to SteveDallas
Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
Great sock Steve. It looks really nice. You are a much more brave knitter than I. I have not had the nerve to branch out into anything other than plain socks so far. I am looking for the perfect sock to break that trend though.
Just jump in!!! It's just knitting. If it's something you're worried about because you've never done it before, just do some swatching with some cheap yarn. Or find some other pattern. (I got over my cable reservations with the "Learn To Cable" scarf that Lion has on their web site.) Then you can put it to good use on a "real" sock pattern!
Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
WOO HOO, I finally got my ravelry invite! I have entered a couple of projects, but that's it so far. I don't have a flikr account, so I guess I better set that up so I can add photos to my projects.
There's nothing wrong with flickr... but if (like me) you already have another web site where you keep all your photos and you don't feel like adding a second.. you can email the Ravelry folks and ask them to enable the alternate picture loading for your account. It'll import the photo from whatever URL you put in.

Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
Here's a progress picture of my simply cables.
Ooo... I really want to try the two socks at once business... but I've really disliked metal needles when I've tried them. And nobody makes the 40" circulars in a wood. (Though KnitPicks has sort of hinted they're working on it.)

There's only one good thing about having strep throat.. I got to knit more than I would have normally!! Onward....
The.Knitter (03-20-2008)
Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #1920
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Steve: I've done patterns and lace and cables galour but not on socks. I am still in the "learning stage" with those. One day soon I will try something fancy with the socks. Thanks!

Silegose: love the socks. That colour is fantastic.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
silegose (03-20-2008)
Closed Thread