Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #211
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
Girls ! There's no way I can reply to all of these posts , but WOW ! You're all going great,,,,,full speed ahead ! ! !

On the subject of MagicLoop and ladders, I haven't gotten any ladders since I switched, and I don't twist either. I just pull that first couple of stitches really tight to the cable, and since the cable is smaller than the needle itself, it seems to overcompensate and things even out as I go.

Julie, congrats on the bag attempts........pm me if you want my measurements.........I don't want to sell one to someone who can make one themselves ! I'm all for promoting the efforts of any handi-crafter !
Carla, I have an idea for a child's lap quilt that I want to make, but as it lay in the floor for 3 days, and the cat and dog decided I was providing a play mat for them, I've picked it up. I just can't seem to get motivated on it. It's either too cold to work in here, or so danged beautiful outside that the last thing I want to be doing is stay inside and sew. Yesterday was 80 something degrees and we're expecting snow today.....

Thursday night is my next long appointment wait, so I'll get to work on the 'bleeding hearts' then.......

Oh, and Dustina, I tried swatching for that shawl I want to do !!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, this yarn is LITERALLY THREAD . It's just what the pattern calls for and I know it would/will be beautiful, but I could never have imagined any yarn being so fine. I need to order the KnitPicks needle to do it with, the Addis just aren't pointy enough ! I really want to order SOMETHING anyway,.........ya ever get that urge?

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/

Last edited by ...dotty... : 02-05-2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: left something out

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #212
alleusion
Turning the Heel

Jule - I"ll try that one. I like the hat that goes with it. In fact, I can do both with yarn I have in my stash. Thanks for sharing!

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

Old 02-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #213
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I'm half way done the second sock. I am half finished knitting the flap. This is the easy part because half of the stitches are slipped on the knit row. It goes very quickly. I had no trouble turning the heel last time because I have done that on the hood of Teddy-All-In-One many times.

My in-laws 62nd wedding anniversary is on Saturday. My DH (bless him, he's my enabler) has asked that the socks be finished so he can wear them to the party and show his mother his first pair of hand knit socks. He is so proud of these socks, I can`t believe he asked me to finish them so he could wear them to show them off! I will have no trouble meeting my deadline. MIL is still seriously ill so we are making a really big deal out of their anniversary this year. Can you imagine being married to someone for 62 years and both of you living to tell about it...

Now, if only I could get the sock yarn I want for me, I'd be set! Perhaps I will have to go to the hibernation bin and finish something that's waiting on me while I search for "the perfect" sock yarn for me. So I might have to leave this KAL in a few days, but not for long! I have the feeling every time I get bored with what I am knitting I will have my "Merry" (the bag Silver made for me) stocked and ready for knitting another pair of sox.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

Old 02-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #214
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
So I might have to leave this KAL in a few days, but not for long! I have the feeling every time I get bored with what I am knitting I will have my "Merry" (the bag Silver made for me) stocked and ready for knitting another pair of sox.
No need to leave the KAL! Hang out while you're knitting other stuff! I couldn't knit at all for awhile and this wonderful group wouldn't let me go!
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (02-05-2008)
Old 02-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #215
tangle2007
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
Tangle, can I get that pattern for my DGD (if there's a link or it's a free pattern)? She would love sox made by Gramma. I might even try some for my DGS too if the pattern is for his size too.
The pattern was from "Socks for the Family" by Michele Wyman. It is basically one pattern with four options for ribbing, and four options for leg stitch patterns, and it tells you how to scale the pattern up and down from toddler to men's sizes. My LYS recommended it for a beginner, and I think it was great for me. I think I can make an infinite variety of socks from this booklet.

Alleusion, I think your socks are adorable!! I ended up with laddering when I tried seeded rib ribbing (that's what my pattern called it, anyway), but not when I switched to regular 2x2 ribbing--I don't know why, since I think I was pulling just as tightly with both.

And I'm tangle2007 on Ravelry, too!
The Following User Says Thank You to tangle2007 For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (02-05-2008)
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #216
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
well I completed the toe on my sockamania sock and then 10 rows of the pattern, and realized that somewhere inbetween I had droped a yo st & couldn't figure out how to frog back to that point, so I froged back to the end of the toe increases-grrrrr. Ok so maybe I'll get to work on it tomorrow.

Hey this is OT but I'm trying to get Caitlin to fall asleep on her own, not going very well. She'll cry for ever and then I go an pick her up and put her on my left shoulder (she doesn't like the right one) and she's out instantly...any ideas? She wont take a binki and when she's mad she wont suck on her fists either. Also at night I have to nurse her to sleep-something else I'd like to end. I would ultimately like to nurse her and then put her in bed and have her doze off on her own. It was easier with the other two b/c they had their own rooms, but she's sleeping in our room now and then will share with her sister. I used to let the other two cry it out, but I can't do that with her b/c she'd wake her sister up, or if she's in our room crying then we cant go to sleep...any words of wisdom? thanks mommies
Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #217
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Good Morning Socksters!!

Julie~I bet you can get a bag to work out...I can't sew so there was no way I could...I've tried and can't get lines to stay straight or well get the machine to work like dotty and my mom can ...hope you get to work on the sock today... I had to frog my 2nd repeat...this is one that seems like I should be able to do it while everything is going on but I'm finding out I can't...

For sleeping well I tell ya my mom worked miracles with both of mine...she stayed a week with Isaiah and 2 with Roo...by the time she left I would feed at midnight they would then sleep till 4am...and then back up at 8am...Her plan: bath right before the midnight feeding, keep the calm after bath and midnight feeding done in the dark with only quiet voices, 4am feeding in the dark and no noise...after burped they went right back into their beds...with Isaiah he liked to listen to this bear that sounded like a momma's womb...roo hated the thing but loved to be swaddled in her blankets pretty good... it was my mom I think lol...

Carla~.I have used wool of the andes and patons...I think patons works better...what about a bulky weight like lamb's pride? I've used the worsted for felting and it did a great job too...

JamOknit~ YAY for cating on to the second sock...would love to see the hats you design too

Jenny~ I agree with the others..it doesn't look bad at all...I'm having trouble with the ladders on this sock I'm doing... I'm not sure why

Gina~ So sorry to read that you had to frog again!!

dotty~ I know...sock yarn will feel huge to you after making the shawl lol...I use the options with lace work and the points are really good... I know addis is making a lace needle now but at the charity knitting last month they felt my options and thought they were pointer

The.Knitter~ Gina is right once you join you can't leave

Yesterday it was so nice but it rained pretty much all day... we had Ice on Monday...hight 60/70s yesterday...nice this morning...snow tonight ...I want spring lol...

I reached the heel of the sockamania sock...I decided to try the sherman heel and I couldn't wrap myself around what to do at all last night...but I kept getting interrupted...so maybe today I can get Roo interested in something enough for me to give it another try

ever had a day that you just couldn't type? well today is my day so I hope this makes sense

You guys have a great day of knitting

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
Old 02-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #218
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Oh nooooooooooo, I've been kidnapped by KH KAL Sock Club! OMG whatever will I do. I guess it means I will have to sit here and knit socks for the rest of my life. What a horrible tragedy that is going to be!!! I ... WILL ... TRY ... HARD .... TO ... GET ... AWAY! Nope, can't do it, just don't have the strength!

Oh well, I guess the solution is to pick up this sock and keep on knitting. I am going to go through my stash today and see what I can find to make socks with. I don't think I have anything suitable, but who knows...

Anyways, we all have our ups and downs and yesterday was mine. I was not good for much other than to sit here and knit. I did no cleaning at all. I just sat here and knit. I did not move too fast. I hate it when my ears go crazy on me! On the plus side, I am finished the gusset and heading for the home stretch with sock #2 for DH's Valentine present.

And life goes on.....

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #219
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
Yes, oh yes, the.knitter.........the sock web draws you in, and then you're here for LIFE ! Sorry about the down day,........I know about those........glad you could just take it easy.
Tangle, that sock is gorgeous ! I think I'd still be wearing it.......love the colors, too !

Well, I may have found a way out of here. Internet costs $50.00 a month here, and all of the less expensive options have such complications and contracts ............yuk ! So, I may wait until the end of the month and see if Mike is approved for his disability payments. If not, it may be bye-bye outside world ! I don't mind tellin' you that that thought freaks me out JUST A LITTLE BIT ! You guys are my FAMILY !
Dustina, the last time I did a Sherman heel.........a week ago on this worsted sock, I went ahead and put the two stitches onto the needle, one at each end, that you are supposed to wrap (from the instep), and separated them with a marker between them and the heel stitches, before I started the knit and turn stuff from the heel procedure. Does that make sense to you? It made it much easier with less 'pull' on those two stitches, and reminded me to knit them with their wraps as a last step. I think I may have still picked up an extra stitch or twisted those stitches or something, to make it look good and solid. Truth is, I wound up taking that heel out, too, and doing a heel flap the third time I knitted that heel ( I had made the cuff too tall and was going to run out of yarn on the second sock).

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to ...dotty... For This Useful Post:
tangle2007 (02-06-2008)
Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #220
1to1
Turning the Heel

Hi Socksters,

The Pommaaotomus is almost to the heel. I'd like to get this finished before the 15th.

Dotty, one of these days I will try a small quilt just not ready to start that craft yet. To many things to knit and crochet first.

Julie, my DD12 had to have someone sleep with her until last year. So I don't have any good advice for you.

Dustina, my LYS doesn't carry Lamb's Pride and I really want to buy from her. I will probably end up using Patons Classic Wool...I really like how my clogs felted with this. Let me know how your heel goes...I don't think I've tried that before.

Allusion, I love your baby socks. Baby socks are so fun to knit.

Gina, don't you hate that frog pond?

The.Knitter, what do you mean about your ears going crazy? I've had trouble with ringing before. Or maybe I missed what you're talking about.

Tangle, now you're ready for two at once?

Sock on,
Carla

1to1
Closed Thread