Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #231
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
The.Knitter, we are not sorry she asked ! We are one big family here and we all have our real troubles and our real joys. You are to be admired, and yes, hugged...... .......for withstanding all of the trials in your life.

Dustina, I write down every step of my Sherman heel, since mine is never over the same amount of stitches as the original.
I make a little chart on paper that says (say I'm doing the heel on 32 stitches)

----------K------------------------------------ P-------
--30------ 28----- 26 ----------------29----- 27----- 25
---1----- --2 -------3 -----------------1 -------2 ------3
and, so on.

The top number is how many I knitted or purled (after slipping the first one) across, and the bottom number is how many stitches were left before the marker or the end of the needle.

Then when I get the heel or toe as narrow as I want it, I start the purl row where you purl two fewer stitches than were knit on the previous row. So my next chart looks like this........say I knitted 12 stitches on the previous row...
-----------P ------------------------------------K--------
--10----- 12----- 14 ----------------------11 -----13 -----15
---8 -------7 ------6 -----------------------8 ------7 -------6

The top number being the number of stitches I purled or knitted (after slipping the first stitch) and the bottom number being the number of stitches left after doing the encroachments. When there is only one stitch left after knitting the encroachment, you start back around the entire sock, knitting the wrap with the stitch on the two instep stitches that you wrapped.

(Hope these numbers stay in line like I typed them !)

Okay the numbers were screwed up, so I added the dashes !

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ...dotty... For This Useful Post:
dustinac (02-06-2008), The.Knitter (02-06-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #232
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Thank you dotty!! I'm off to try it

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #233
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by ...dotty... View Post
The.Knitter, we are not sorry she asked ! We are one big family here and we all have our real troubles and our real joys. You are to be admired, and yes, hugged...... .......for withstanding all of the trials in your life.
Thanks so much! I hope your situation works so that you can keep your internet. To some of us, it is a lifeline to the outside world.

Thanks for including me in the family. It is so nice to have someone who, although they may not understand completely, supports me and makes me feel good about me!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
...dotty... (02-06-2008)
Old 02-07-2008, 06:43 AM   #234
Lieke
Working the Gusset

Tangle, your sock looks really great!

alleusion, I think your first sock looks great and I don't see any mistakes. As for the ladder with ML, I've got the same problem. I try to ignore it and since I really liked my socks being finished at the same time, I'm doing a new ML-pair. I'll post here when I've got the answer to the ladders. I already tried the suggestion of Dotty, but it doesn't seem to work.

As for my socks, they are coming along nicely. I've made up my own pattern so I can't give you an idea of what I'm knitting with the yarn. I'll try to post pics soon. I'm really happy with my handdyed yarn, it was really worth all the effort of untangling.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #235
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
I'm here! Was out most of the day yesterday-dh was home then and today, yesterday was a vacation day. (when he's home he hogs the computer) Didn't get any knitting done. Today I need to work on making a pattern to cover the seat on my father in laws scooter seat, though I only want to knit.

Dotty: I understand, we pay $50 for internet too & I think that sucks, but we don't have a land line phone so we can't get it any cheaper. Try netzero or peoplepc or even walmart has their own access that I believe is based off aol and is only 15.00...there's lots out there that don't cost $50. & I'd really hate to see you go, you'd have to give us your phone # so we could stay in contact-mail is too slow. What I don't understand it the explination of the heel above, royally confused me-esp. the dashes and then when I read you put dashes to keep the numbers where they were I was still confused. I was blond as a child. I'm hoping to go to the fabric store today and look at fabric-the fabric for a sock bag shouldn't cost much, really only need 1/3 yard of each color-esp since most are 45" wide. I'm excited to try it (again). People don't understand when they see my socks in a Crown Royal bag-think I'm some drunk-then they see me with 3 kids under age 4 and I never have to explain. lol, jk.

Lieke: can't wait to see the socks.

The.Knitter: Dh said you should move here to New Mexico, the weather doesn't change as drastically as often. Glad you shared with us, my Great-Grandmother suffered a little from this. Though I was too young to know just how much it affected her & she had 6 kids (well 8 but two died before they were 1). The internet is my access to the 'world'.

Jenny, how is ms Emily doing? How are you after shoveling all that snow?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #236
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Good Morning Socksters!!

I am/was a blonde too... which is why I frogged that heel last night more times than I can remeber...and it was all cause of crazy mistakes...not slipping one...getting my count off... forgetting what I was doing ...I think I'm at the narrow part now and can start going the other way...

I agree, The.knitter about the internet...having all family in another state...being a SAHM...being shy and not very social...the internet has helped me and I have made some wonderful friends...

Lieke~ Glad your socks are coming along nicely!!

Julie~ we used to go through that but now dh has us hooked up with 2 computers so we don't... although I hear are you on the knitting site? your slowing me down ...

I'm behind on my schedule today... I don't like when I get it all messed up lol...so I'm off now to get somethings caught up..hope you guys have a great day of knitting!!

oh mom went to a quilt shop on Sat and they had fabric with chickens knitting...so I checked at the Vac Shak yesterday and they have it ordered...mom is hoping for darker colors from them so she can come up with a cute quilt... I'll prolly buy some to add to my fabric stash that is just waiting for me to take some kinda class so I can use it... the closet in our room has shelves to the ceiling and it is stacked full of fabric... I tell dh well if we ever get to where we can't go out or leave our houses I can knit and try to sew us something to use

Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #237
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
Oh, Julie and Dustina........my explanation may have caused more confusion than help ! That's just what works for me.....put it out of your head if it doesn't work for you ! Be sure you haveCabezalana's explanation handy.......I use it more than the original Sherman Sock instructions.

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #238
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by ...dotty... View Post
Oh, Julie and Dustina........my explanation may have caused more confusion than help ! That's just what works for me.....put it out of your head if it doesn't work for you ! Be sure you haveCabezalana's explanation handy.......I use it more than the original Sherman Sock instructions.
Nope your post helped me a lot ...I made the chart and would check them off...it was basically me just not paying attention to what I was doing

Old 02-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #239
alleusion
Turning the Heel

Julie, thanks for asking! Ms. Emily is kicking away, happy as a clam where she belong (I never understood that...are clams reall as happy as they claim?). I had to shovel more snow this morning, until DH got downstairs and took over for me. I think I'm too anal about how the driveway gets shoveled. I prefer not to leave a thin layer of snow because when you drive or walk over it, it gets compacted into ice. I'm clumsy enough as it is, the last thing I need is to try and walk on ice. If you saw our driveway, you can tell where I stopped and DH took over.

I do however, have horrendous back pain...as well as pressure in the lower regions. I'm trying to get what exercise I can...walking with DH when he goes to the store for provisions, walking to get the mail, and such. So far, snow shoveling provides the most cardio workout...but makes the back hurt very much badly. I had a contraction this morning that could not be brushed off as a "fake" contraction or braxton hicks. It started low in my back and then low in my abdomen and finally, I could feel the belly tightening. It didn't last long and didn't come back, so I feel better now. I'm taking it easy today. Sitting on the couch knitting....in between going up and down the stairs with the laundry (hey I'm out of undies!).

I CO for the baby sock in DK weight last night. It's a tighter knit, but I like the way the yarn handles. It doesn't feel as delicate as the fingering weight. I can already tell it's going to be bigger. I'm using your pattern again, Julie, because it's the simplest and it looks great. My mom thinks the white sock I did is just adorable. I may have to break down and make it's match.

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #240
1to1
Turning the Heel

Hi Socksters,

Dotty, Praying that you find a way to stay connected. I know that it is hard for you to get out but do you have a library close by?

The.Knitter, my GMIL has Menieres Disease and it has really affected her too. Yup that is what they called it…tinnitus. I’m sure I had something else going on cause I hardly ever go to the doctor. I’m not good with dates but I know my medical records show it. But I will pay more attention to it the next time it happens and see what is going on.

Here’s another thing I worry about…I listen to my iPod all the time even fall asleep with the ear buds. Its either that or have the TV on & with the iPod I don’t wake anybody else up. Will this affect my hearing? And try to explain why I don’t like the radio on in my van. I guess will all have our little quirks.

Carey, are you on Ravelry? Just wanted to check out your twinkletoe slippers.

Jenny, It is so cool to see pictures from Ontario. Is that you shoveling? I did the same thing when I was past due with my son. He was due Christmas day and I was shoveling the drive and going on walks everything to get things started. He wasn't born until 1/2/94…hard to believe that was 14 years ago.

You need to check out these booties over the right on the patterns side. Dustina, I thought of you when I saw these mittens.

Lieke, can’t wait to see your new design.

Julie, just wait til your kids are on the computer. They really eat up my computer time. I want a laptop so bad.

Dustina, knitting and computer time take me away from my motherly duties. The other day I was knitting and thinking I really should make a meal…instead I waited for kids to get home and asked what they wanted. They had Kraft Mac & Cheese and hot dogs.
With the Carie Lynn bag, I will probably stay with her colors but I keep changing my mind about what yarn. Patons, (Wool Pak or Cascade Eco Wool will have to be ordered).

I worked on my Pom and the Hemlock and even banged out my Feb Dishcloth last night. Had my Wed nite knit together and it is always fun to see what everyone is working on. We even have a guy in our group…he always came with his wife so he decided to join us in knitting. DD12 even went but she did homework…she doesn’t have time for knitting these days. Its amazing how close we all are …just like here. I don’t know most of their last names or where they work but we are all united in our knitting/crocheting.

Sock on,
Carla

1to1
Closed Thread