Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #5111
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
about the nostepinne I hadn't ever heard on it either, but I know you can buy them for about 1/3 the price of a Royal ball winder, I have one of those & love it. Dad bought it for me a couple years ago, but they were $35 and now at my LYS they're $45! inflation I guess. Anyway the nostepinne is to roll your (freshly spun yarn) into a center pull ball...of course it would work with any yarn, just a thought.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #5112
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Gina: The start of your sweater looks pretty, nice colour. The socks look great too. Where actually is Little Knits? I don't see any address on their site. Are they not a regular store?

Christine: Your hair looks great. Mu husband always liked long hair too, but after a certain age, short is the way to go. So much easier to handle too.

Lisa: Hi and thanks for asking about my son. He is doing okay. I am here for 2 more weeks.

Julie: All this talk of spinning etc has me totally lost. It just amazes me how you find the time for all these things.

I was in a different Michaels yesterday and found a yar I hadn't seen before. It is Collage by Red Heart. Looks the same as Marble. I bought one with a coupon just to try.

Happy Knitting to all
Old 07-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #5113
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Sue, enjoy your time with your son.
As far as my time...I spin very little...hopefully to become more & I knit when I can, though my 'want to knit' list is longer than the hours in a day.
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
sue in canada (07-27-2008)
Old 07-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #5114
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Sue, LittleKnits is in West Seattle (over the bridge) in a house. It's only open to the public on Thursdays and Saturdays 11-5, I think. Email her and let her know if you'd like to come on other days and to double check the time. She has a HUGE selection of sock and other yarns....at least compared with any yarn store around here!
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
sue in canada (07-27-2008)
Old 07-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #5115
BobbiKnits
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, I was going to wait until I was done with the dying, but since you insist...

Also, a cute little party favor treasure chest I made for my nephew's pirate themed b-day party today! I wish I'd gotten pictures of the signs we made...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	yarn1.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	49307  Click image for larger version

Name:	harleys bday4.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	49308  

OTN: Bold & Bulky mini cardigan, rectangle tunic

My Blog
Old 07-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #5116
Jackie Lim
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Lim
Hi
Morning,

It's Monday. I m going to knit this http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leaf-t-shirt
the pattern calls for - Debbie Bliss Cathay Weight DK/8ply (11 wpi) Yardage 109 yd (100m)
The gauge is 5 sts per inch in stockinette

I do not have Cathay, so going to use this Cotton 4 Ply Bendigo Woollen Mills Weight Fingering / 4 ply (14 wpi)
My gauge is 8sts per 1" stockinette st with a 3.25mm/US3 AT cir ndl.

Does it work ? any advise, thanks.

Welcome to my blog

FOs - In my blog
Old 07-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #5117
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
Jess: do you ship via UPS? Purolator? Pie Express?
Peach pie....... *sigh*!!!
My pie probably wouldn't survive UPS. It's very melty and soft and with a flaky crust. (sorry couldn't resist). My daddy said its the best pie he's ever had.

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Christine, Peach pie is easy to make. You can cheat a little and buy the Pillsbury Pie crust that comes in a box.

Peach Pie

Pastry for 9 lattice-top pie or one box Pillsbury ready-to-use pie crust (two crusts)

c. sugar
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour or tapioca (I use tapioca)

tsp. cinnamon
dash salt
5 c. sliced fresh peaches (I used about 8 C) (I peeled mine with a potato peeler and then just sliced them off the pit. You could used canned, too)

2 tbsp. butter or margarine

Line 9 pie plate with pastry. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add to peaches; mix lightly. Fill shell. Dot with butter. (Dash with extra spice, if desired.) Adjust lattice crust; crimp edges. Bake in 400o 40-50 minutes or until done. (I put it on a pizza pan covered with foil to catch any drips and put it on a lower shelf in the oven.) Serve warm with cream or ice cream.

Jess, I used Silver's Toe-up socks on two circs tutorial to do cabled socks. She gives good instructions on how to adjust your pattern.
Oh tsk tsk tsk. One does not cheat and use a store-bought pie crust when making peach pie . I use my great-grandma's recipe, or else (if I don't have any crisco or if somebody wants a "healthier" pie, which I think defeats the purpose) the one my grandma found that uses milk and canola oil. Great-Grandma's has flour, salt, crisco, and water, and sticks together much better. Can't remember the exact recipe off the top of my head, I'll find it later. Then, 5 cups ripe peaches (the ones I used for this pie were almost over-ripe, and they cooked up to melt in your mouth goodness), 3/4 cups flour, and 1 cup sugar and cinnamon mix. And, very important, cut stars in the top. (I know, I'm horribly evil, giving you all such descriptions of my lovely pie)
Thanks for the tips on the socks.
Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
Jess when you do your cable socks just co a few more than you would for plain ribbed socks, if you co 64 regularly then co 68 and it should fit fine. The cables will make the sock a bit more 'snug' so just co 2 or 4 more and go from there. have you checked knitting pattern central for cable sock patterns? here is the link for all the cabled socks on their site.
Thanks! I have been looking some on KPC - I couldn't get into Ravelry last time I tried, gotta look up my password. My computer is so slow, I get annoyed and give up after a bit. I want something with a kind of Celtic Cable down the top, I think.
Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
OK so my DH just LOVES long hair. I've been growing mine now for about five years approximately. It was half way down my back. It drove me nuts. The only thing I could do with it was throw it in a ponytail. If I washed it and let it hang down it went all fuzzy. I hated it! BUT DH LOVED IT!

Today I had an... ummmmm... well, a discussion with a pair of scissors (can I call it that or can I just say I fell asleep in the chair and the hairdresser had her way with me?). Can I come and live with any of you BEFORE DH gets home from work tonight?
Your haircut looks great! and I'm glad your DH liked it.
I had a (guy) friend once who loved girls having long hair, and went so far as to threaten to never talk to me again if I cut my hair short. It became a huge joke between all of my friends at the time - once in a while his girlfriend or I would get a trim and tell him that we cut our hair short, just to get him all upset. Both of us have since chopped it all off, and he survived the experience. I had my hair all the way down my back such that I literally had to braid it if I didn't want it to get tangled. I got it cut to about an inch below my ears. And then I dyed it red.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (07-27-2008)
Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #5118
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
Oh tsk tsk tsk. One does not cheat and use a store-bought pie crust when making peach pie
Oh, tsk tsk tsk away! I'm still cheating! I have hand/arm issues and if it's between making home-made pie crust and saving my hands for knitting, I'm choosing knitting!
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (07-28-2008)
Old 07-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #5119
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Jess you are one mean woman (melt in your mouth goodness, grrrrrr)! Now I really want peach pie. We just got back from a day at Rock Point Conservation Park which is on Lake Erie, but still in Canada. Boots loved it, I had a great time playing in the waves and DH enjoyed a visit with his son who is camping there by himself for two weeks (without a car). We went to get him some groceries and have a fun day out of the house (I wonder why?).

Thanks for the compliments on my hair. It feels SO much better now! I like it short. Yes Sue, it IS easier to take care of.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (07-28-2008)
Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #5120
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Good Morning Socksters!!

I played fast catch up this morning so if I missed anything just holler!

Christine~Cute Hair cut

Jackie~your BYOB looks great ...if you can get gauge then it would work without having to figure out to re-size...I'm not sure if you can get the gauge or not on a fingering weight

Bobbie~YAY for KP order and what a cute theme

Dotty~

Gina~ohhh that is going to be so pretty!! Mike!

Welcome to the KAL dharmagwen

Sue~I hadn't head of that yarn either...my local wal-mart (no other craft stores near me but the LYS) doesn't carry much in the newer yarns

Julie~That's one reason I'm not sure I want to start spinning...when will I fit it in??

Chris~

jess_hawk~I cheat on it all and just buy a frozen pie and then heat it in the oven

Hi everyone!!

This weekend I finished my S.O.S and one Sydney sock...I'm trying to get caught up before the olympics kick off so limiting my computer time...I also signed up for the olympics on ravelry and started a team for WV...then the rest of the weekend was spent trying to get rid of an ol' sinus headache...when I go back to the dr they are going to have to change my meds, I guess...my head felt like it weighed a ton and even my teeth hurt...hadn't had that in a long time...this morning I still feel like I was hit in front of the face with something...I go back to the dr in Aug so not to long to wait...

Also this Sunday I'll be going back to WV for a week...so trying to get ready for that too

Okey dokey I'm off to start Monday cleaning and then work more on the 2nd Sydney...I'm about ready to start the heel...I hope you all have a great day of knitting
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sydney.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	49311  Click image for larger version

Name:	SoS finished.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	49312  

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
G J (07-28-2008), jess_hawk (07-28-2008), The.Knitter (07-28-2008)
Closed Thread