Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #5131
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
ooooooooo an any sock kal camp @ a cabin, boy that sounds like a BLAST wonder if we could all get together for that maybe next year? whatchyall think?

ETA or maybe a hotel, centrally located?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #5132
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Amphibian Knitting - We frog with the best of them.

Peach pie sounds good especially if you take some extra peaches, peel. slice into wedges and put into zip-lock bags. Sprinkle with some sugar and place in the refrigerator over night. When the sugar has pull out some of the juice and made a syrup place in the freezer until frozen solid. Make about 5-6 cups worth.

After a day or two in the freezer take out your blender. Into the blender add one cup of rum, fill 1/2 the blender with the frozen peach/syrup mix and blend. Add additional rum and ice to taste. Repeat as long as you have frozen peach/syrup mix and can stand up long enough to blend a new batch.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-28-2008), jess_hawk (07-28-2008)
Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #5133
jberry16
Instepping Out

those are super cute Chris!
& that drink sounds really sweet.
And for a super easy, no fail crust for your pies, here's Grandma's Mommy's recipe...

"NO-FAIL" PIE or COBBLER CRUST

1 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. Crisco, butter flavor
1/4 c. cold water (may need
a Tbsp. or 2 more)
Combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in Crisco
till mixture is "crumbly". Stir in water.
Makes 2 pie crusts or 2 cobbler "tops".
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (07-28-2008)
Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #5134
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Hi Jess, I use a pizza pan covered in foil. Just toss the foil after the pie has cooled or when it's gone! My MIL has a pan with a hole in the middle MADE for this. The pie sits on a raised lip and there is a raised lip around the outside of the pan, too, to keep any drips on it. But you have to clean it, so I like the foil thing better!
The problem with this is when you get so much bubble over that the foil gets thoroughly stuck in 1/4 inch of sugar goo, which solidifies as it cools - I spent about half an hour cleaning one of these when I'd made two pies, and I was almost in tears when Benn came home and did the second one for me... Benn's the best.

Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
OK so here's some spindle candy...I got my Golding spindle today & I think the 'peanuts' used for paking weigh more than the spindle itself. .6 oz is tiny!
Then since we're a photo happy bunch, I have to share with you the sunset pic I got the other day, just the clouds...
doesn't it look like cotton candy?
Wonder if you could spin it on your new spindle. The clouds, not cotton candy - the candy would be fun (who wouldn't want gloves spun of pure sugar!? - and OMG think what you could do using this for a wedding candy) but too sticky for such a nice spindle!
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Peach pie sounds good especially if you take some extra peaches, peel. slice into wedges and put into zip-lock bags. Sprinkle with some sugar and place in the refrigerator over night. When the sugar has pull out some of the juice and made a syrup place in the freezer until frozen solid. Make about 5-6 cups worth.

After a day or two in the freezer take out your blender. Into the blender add one cup of rum, fill 1/2 the blender with the frozen peach/syrup mix and blend. Add additional rum and ice to taste. Repeat as long as you have frozen peach/syrup mix and can stand up long enough to blend a new batch.

OMG Rum **gag**. I've never had anything with rum in it that I liked. Being able to taste it without gagging is about as far as I go. however... the peach/syrup mix by itself... with water or a little sprite or something for bubbles... hmmm...

I think I've decided how I want to do my socks. WIP pics should be coming soon!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-29-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 AM   #5135
Jackie Lim
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Lim
hi
Morning,

It's Tuesday

Dustina - Another holiday a great way to relax What is yur secret, tell me quick , how do u finish the socks so fast

Chris - cute frogy and lovely socks to keep the little toes warm
Gina - I have that type of pan that has a hole in the centre, i use it to bake pandan cake. Thinking of baking (maby next week or next next week cos the GP certified that Jayne can go back to school next week, ) cos Pie n Pie N more pie is what is see these days..... drooling

Ann - Oh that is a very beautiful place to unwind and catch up with friends. Are u going to knit the Rusted Root (very pretty) ?

Julie - I was seaching thru my stash and found Sirdar Calico has the same gauge as the DB Cathay
Weight DK / 8 ply (11 wpi)

Yardage 172 yards (157 meters)

Unit weight 50 grams (1.76 ounces)

Gauge 22.0 = 4 inches

Needle size US 6 / 4.0 mm

My gauge is 6 st per inch for this Calico (quite close) however i prefer 100% cotton (Bendigo 4ply) due to the hot and humid weather here. My gauge for the Bendigo is 8st per inch. i used a 3.75mm for both gauge. My cable for 4mm is a bit bend on the edge near the join hence it always get stuck at the point.
I your new gadget. MyDH loves to have African Violet in the house, always buy small pot of them but the flowers will be gone in no time.... I love the idea of a knit get together, can i join ? I will plan and start saving for this occasion.

Welcome to my blog

FOs - In my blog
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackie Lim For This Useful Post:
dustinac (07-29-2008), knitgal (07-29-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 02:28 AM   #5136
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post

OMG Rum **gag**. I've never had anything with rum in it that I liked. Being able to taste it without gagging is about as far as I go. however... the peach/syrup mix by itself... with water or a little sprite or something for bubbles... hmmm...
Champagne for bubbles?

For the pie dripping could you use two of the disposable aluminum pans? One about an inch or so larger than the pie pan and the other smaller than the pie pan. place the smaller pan inside the larger place the pie on top of the smaller. This would make an arrangement similar to the pan with the hole in it, but be heavy enough to contain a lot of drips.

Even with aluminum foil in another pan I find the dripping can often get under the foil and make a mess.

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (07-30-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 06:49 AM   #5137
Jackie Lim
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Lim
hi
guess i have to put the Leaf T-Shirt on hold til i buy a 16" cir ndl, there is i can join the 125sts of Calico using a 24" cir ndl...

Welcome to my blog

FOs - In my blog
Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #5138
cacunn
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Jackie Lim View Post
guess i have to put the Leaf T-Shirt on hold til i buy a 16" cir ndl, there is i can join the 125sts of Calico using a 24" cir ndl...

Jackie could you use two 24" circular needles or magic loop like a sock? I admit I need to go back to look at the pattern and will do so later in the morning.

Where there is a will there is a way, thats why you have to watch your poor relatives.

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
Jackie Lim (07-29-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #5139
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Good Morning Socksters!!

Christine~ on Sunday I did end up in bed...but that was 'cause JD didn't give me a choice

Chris~cute socks and I love the frog! Yard work is good for the soul

Bobbi~ no secret to tell...the fun part of a pattern is finding the right yarn to show it off

jess_hawk~When we were first married JD got me a cookbook (cause I had no idea how to cook/bake)...and I would do it all from scratch, but now it's frozen or cookie dough...I do still make our dinner rolls and dad's pineapple upside down cake from scratch though and Chilli soup...and Chilli for hot dogs... I do more than what I though

Ann~oohhh how pretty, I would love to go there and knit!! The S.O.S. was for the summer of socks kal, I'm not sure if after it's done if you can get the pattern or not ...join the olympics be crazy with me and Jackie

Julie~ very pretty!

Gina~ I finally ran out yesterday and got something I could take without JD being here (the other stuff makes me loopy and tired) it helped some...woke up this morning with no headache just feels like I have swimmer's ear today

Jackie~I think if you use the other it will be to big...I would prolly use the dk and go up a needle or down for the 5sts (although some say a st off doesn't matter, but I'm not for sure would be afraid it did)...I would also knit the shirt on 2 circs if you have another 24"... I'm not very fast those S.o.S socks took a month

I got my Sockamania sock yarn yesterday, it's very pretty and soft...but the pattern was missing . Mom says the pattern is very pretty she also got hers. I talked her into joing the olympics with me and Team WV

As far as Sydney is going I'm on the cuff if I have a chance I could prolly finish it up today...

Mom also told me she got in an order yesterday of some KP blanks so we can dye some yarn when I'm in she spoils my knitting habit...

I hope you all have a great day of knitting

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-29-2008), jess_hawk (07-30-2008), knitgal (07-29-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #5140
jberry16
Instepping Out

Jackie Of course you can join our knit gathering, or whatever we'll call it! I think you have the farthest to come now since Jess is back from Aus. I agree with Dustina...save your money for the Knit picks options nickle set so that you always have the 'right' size needles. I love my set, love it.

Dustina your spoiled! (course I love my spindle, so I guess so am I )

Well I picked up the sts on my CPH for the collar last night and got about 6-8 rows done (I think, wasn't counting b/c I wann go prolly 6")

For y'all and your peach pies, or other pies, that get your ovens all icky & sticky...did you ever think that maybe they're too full? If you like them over flowing w/fruit maybe buy a disposable cake pan, you know the cheapo allumunm 9x13 and set the pie plate in that? I'm more of a cake person, not much for pie (dont throw stuff) so I'm not experienced on it like y'all are, but it's just an idea. I like Grandma's pumpkin pie & Brian loves her pecan pie.
My fav pie recipe, really isn't a traditional pie with traditional crust, but here's the recipe
Strawberry Pie
9 inch Graham Cracker Pie Shell
Approx. 3 cups sliced strawberries
Arrange berries in pie shell.

GLAZE
2 Tbsp. Corn Starch mixed with
1 c. sugar.....then stir in:
1 c. water
Stir & cook till thick & clear. Remove from heat & stir in 1/4 c. Strawberry Jello (DRY).
COOL TO LUKE WARM. Pour over berries. Top w/Cool Whip if desired. I'm not much of a cool whip person either, Dh wonders what's wrong with me

Pumpkin Pie
Makes 1 pie.

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
Stir the following together:
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 c. milk (use all "condensed" or half "condensed" & half fresh....NOT Eagle Brand)
Sift the following together:
1 c. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. alspice
1/8 tsp. ginger (ground)
1/8 tsp. cloves (ground)
Stir spice mixture into pumpkin mixture. Pour into pie crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr.
Can't find my pecan pie recipe, if you want it I'll get it typed up in here... I'll go check my book.
Sorry Jess, but this is really good...
ANGELA'S RUM CAKE
Grease & flour a 12 inch Bundt pan

1/2 c. finely chopped pecans or walnuts
Sprinkle chopped nuts in bottom of Bundt pan.

Then combine the following ingredients:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 pkg. (3 3/4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. cold water
1/2 c. oil
1//2 c. dark rum
Beat the above ingredients about 3 minutes. Then pour mixture over nuts in Bundt pan.
Bake at 325 degrees (350 degrees for high altitude) for about 35 to 45 minutes....toothpick method for doneness. Remove from oven. Wait about 5 min., then pour glaze over cake, letting glaze run down the sides & center. Let set in pan about 15 or 20 min. to soak up glaze. Turn onto cake plate.

GLAZE
1/4 c. water
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter (DO NOT USE MARGARINE)
In medium size sauce pan melt butter; then add water & sugar to melted butter. Stirring constantly, bring to boil and let boil about 3 or 4 min. (BE SURE TO STIR CONSTANTLY OR IT WILL BOIL OVER). Then remove from heat and stir in 1/2 c. dark rum
Stir mixture till well mixed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
Jackie Lim (07-30-2008), jess_hawk (07-30-2008)
Closed Thread