Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #521
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Madness? Sounds like a normal knitter's day to me, minus the donuts of course! Sounds like you are not lazy at all. You just need to finish up a few things and then you'll sit there saying ... "now what should I knit next?"

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #522
silegose
Knitting the Flap

Dustina... I love the book of kids hats. I just might need to run to the LYS today. I also printed up the formula on how to make a hat. That is a great thing to have!! hmmm just looked out the window getting pretty dark out there. IF going I better get it going we have some Tstorms and snow coming at some point.

Also, can any of you explain what a selvage st is. I was looking it up in my readers digest knitters handbook. But dont totally understand what they mean.
I know im such a pain... but I do like to try new things and the cardigan I am going to attempt is windowpane pattern stitch and they call for that. http://www.royalyarns.com/ptrn/NAS/NAS-NADC/
Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #523
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
The.Knitter, I LOVE those socks !
I understand not being happy, though, if they're not YOU !
The first time I spent $20.00 for a skein of merino wool to make a pair of socks, I was in shock at what I had done ! There's no way I'd pay more than $4.00 for a pair of socks normally, so this has been an experience to get used to. I've found lots of good buys on yarn since then, but when I don't, I tell myself that I am paying for the 'entertainment', not the socks themselves !

fibrenut, could you send me a half-dozen chocolate covered evil rings, pleeeeeze !!!!!!!!! You're my hero ! DONUTS ! ! !
And that many projects would drive me out of my skull, although it does sound alot like my quilting-mania days !
If I drop a knitting project at the seam-sewing part, I just may not come back to it at all.............that's why I go seamless as much as possible !

Julie, you've got another pair of socks ! ! ! And the fit on these looks really good this time ! So pretty ! Ya know, if you can make the kids' socks in gender-friendly colors, you can just keep passing them down.as they outgrow them.........

Hi, Dustina.......glad you got some sunshine at some point......we're getting a few minutes of it right now, but it sounded so cool to hear the rain on the new roof last night as I went to sleep. It did enter my mind that there might be some leaks to be discovered from the new roofing, but NO SURPRISES ! Yay !

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ...dotty... For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (02-18-2008), The.Knitter (02-17-2008)
Old 02-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #524
Lieke
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post

Well that sucks that they don't have more kinds of yarn-
Glad to hear you may have someone to trade with you, good luck.
*grin*

guess who that someone is

Old 02-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #525
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
Hiya silegose,
selvedge or selvege are edge stitches used sort of as a seam allowance when you are sewing your parts together. It also acts as a buffer for the pattern stitches and shaping. (most is usually done just inside the selvedge stitches ). It also helps to keep your edges nice n smooth.

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
The Following User Says Thank You to fibrenut For This Useful Post:
silegose (02-17-2008)
Old 02-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #526
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
I hope someone is on who can help me ASAP!

I'm switching colors for the heels and am not sure when to switch. With short-row heel, you slip and wrap the last stitch, so it (the last stitch) is the wrong color! Should I knit a row in the pink (color 2) FIRST and then purl back?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #527
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
Oh, I wish I had found this earlier.........sorry you had to wait. I'm not sure if I can be of any help, as I usually wing it, and it's been awhile.

Number one, put in that lifeline right now........before you try it any way. Number 2, this is what I was saying, the reason I wasn't totally pleased with my Alex heel. I think I did like you said, and the slipped stitch was the wrong color. I'd try it a couple of ways, expecting to have to do it again if I didn't like the looks of it, but I know that every round/row that you get is a prize, with your hands the way they are. So, I was thinking that I would do the wrap thing, while I still have the sock's yarn color going, and then do the first actual row of the Sherman method with the new color.........I don't think that your suggestion would work, because you don't want your contrasting heel color to go all the way around the instep.

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to ...dotty... For This Useful Post:
G J (02-17-2008)
Old 02-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #528
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I`ve decided not to carry on and make the second `mexican coloured` sock. I have traded the three left over skiens (and the sock for her to frog) of Fixation to Lieke for some Schoeller and Stahl Summer Dream Sockina cotton in a beautiful red colourway (0005), for MY socks, and a skien of Schoeller Esslinger in red and white for a pair of ankle sox. I am told these are both nice soft cotton yarns. I can hardly wait to receive the yarn now so I can make myself a pair of socks for ME!!! While I am waiting I will finish up my DD`s scarf and the Teddy All-In-One.

I think I will call my new socks My Netherland Socks (lol). I am very excited now to start knitting my new socks!!!

Half an hour later: OK so I fibbed. My arm is just about falling off. It sure comes out a LOT faster than it goes in, that is for sure! I just sat here and the mexican coloured sock. I will send Lieke four full skeins of Fixation. I know I would not wear this colour so why bother keeping it when she will use it.....

Half an hour later: There, the box is all made up and ready to go in the mail on Wednesday.

Lieke there are four skeins of Cascade Fixation in there for you. One does not have the wrapper on it because it is the one I frogged to get you enough for two pairs of socks. I will send you the confirmation number on Wednesday when it goes into the mail. Thanks once again for doing this for me so that I can have my favourite colour as my first pair of hand knit socks!!!

I love being a KH member. The people here are so kind and good! It warms my heart (and it is going to warm my feet too)!!!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

Last edited by The.Knitter : 02-17-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #529
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Thanks, Dotty!

Since I hadn't heard from anyone and had to get that heel done, I did a short-row heel with double-wraps. It turned out great! I'll take pics when I get them both done and have gone up a little on the ankle.

I'll have to save the Sherman Heel for another pair!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #530
silegose
Knitting the Flap

Well I think I am going to start working on another pair of sox's and the DD's hat. I will take my yarn and book to the LYS and get some help. I am up for all kinds of challenges but this brain must be stuck in the sock knitting mode. LOL..
Closed Thread