Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #6021
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Dustina- Welcome back! Glad you had fun with your mom.

Sue- Wasn't it an awful day? Are you going to the KW Knitter's Fair?

Lieke- Happy Belated Birthday! What did you name your gerbils?

Gina- Glad you had fun at the BBQ. What are you knitting?

Julie- Have fun at the BBQ for your DH!

The bridal shower was fun and it made me want to get married just for the gifts!!! Holy cow they got SO many things, and of course all from William Sonoma and Pottery Barn. I guess when those are the places you register people have no choice. It all seemed a little much to me, and I didn't realise until recently that I had to buy a shower gift AND a wedding gift.
To top it off, it's Josh's brother who is getting married, and the bachelor party is in Vegas. So we have to spend money we don't have to get him to Vegas, including new clothes, a dinner that will cost $200 a person, a fancy hotel, $100 cover at a club....not to mention the flight.

I feel like I'm always complaining about this wedding, but it's going to end up costing us thousands of dollars in gifts, clothes (Josh's tux rental as a groomsman is $175 and I haven't found a dress yet), the Vegas trip, and also the hotel for two days at the wedding and lost wages from me not working for 3 days!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
dustinac (09-07-2008), jberry16 (09-08-2008), Lieke (09-08-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #6022
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Knitgal~ I hate when they register at fancy places and then expect everyone to buy from there...if you guys can't gift them with that (and I couldn't either) then I wouldn't stretch yourselves. I've been known to show up with a basket with hand knit dishrags, some cute kitchen towels, some other little odds and ends for the kitchen and have it go over good...My family doesn't get into that stuff but the other side does...I just get what I can and the rest will just have to do ...as for the other that's a hard one...maybe he could get by with clothes he has...I know this might sound mean but if I had a sister who did that I'd prolly tell her ok then you pay for some of this trip...you wanted it in Vegas then you help get me there ...it will all work out just remeber to stay true to yourselves in this madness...don't put yourself in a bind for them

Sue~I can't wait to see the hats ...I hadn't heard of that yarn, wal-mart here carries Bernat but not much at all.

Jackie~Those are too cute

Lynn~If you don't find any you like at the library search amazon for some titles and then take it to the them...they may be able to find it for you in a different library. I've done this a few times (getting ready to take a list on mitten books this Wed)

Lieke~Happy Belated Birthday!! I seen them on your blog and they are too cute

Christine & Chris~

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
knitgal (09-07-2008), Lieke (09-08-2008)
Old 09-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #6023
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

Dustina, I love the pic! Is that purple I see?

Jackie Lim, my mom used to knit clothes for her Barbies when she was little. I wish she would pick it up again - then I would actually have someone to knit with. We all know knitting is like riding a bike. You never forget how!

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Violet For This Useful Post:
dustinac (09-07-2008)
Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #6024
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Lady Violet View Post
Dustina, I love the pic! Is that purple I see?
Yep, it was a pair of purple socks that I working on for the Yarnsmackdown Olympics...they turned out really pretty and then I mailed them to my victim...I really wanted to keep that purple for myself...but I own soooo much purple it's not funny...

QOTD: What color of yarn do you buy too much of?

Mine is Purple and blue...I see it and can't resist but I need to buy other colors and more solids!!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #6025
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Originally Posted by Karina View Post
Gina - as far as I know we do not have shortening here in the UK. can you use butter or margarine in the cookies.
Here's what I found out about shortening in the UK:
"Many people in the UK are confused by the term "Shortening" and don't think it is available in the UK. In fact, in the UK shortening is available under brand names such as Cookeen, Trex, White Flora, etc."
You COULD use butter or margarine, but it changes the texture a little.

Originally Posted by Lieke View Post
Hi all,

Life is just crazy around here. Had my birthday last friday and the house is still quite a mess. (had 2 birthays, yesterday and today). I hardly had time to knit. Positive thing, last thursday, I finished the introduction of my masterpaper. I've handed it in and now I'm waiting to find out if it's good enough.

I didn't get any knittingrelated gifts, but I did get 2 gerbils from steven. They are totally cute and it's the best present I could ever get.

Did try to catch up with the KAL, but don't have time enough to read everything. Saw some great FO's. Now I have to go, my dryer just beeped (which means it's ready and wants attention)

Hope to be around soon!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope it was FABULOUS! Congratulations on getting your master paper intro done, too!

Originally Posted by knitgal View Post

Gina- Glad you had fun at the BBQ. What are you knitting?

I feel like I'm always complaining about this wedding, but it's going to end up costing us thousands of dollars in gifts, clothes (Josh's tux rental as a groomsman is $175 and I haven't found a dress yet), the Vegas trip, and also the hotel for two days at the wedding and lost wages from me not working for 3 days!
I'm still working on the bamboo top #2 and my Drops cardigan. And I rescue DH when he messes up on the socks he's working on!

I feel for you with the wedding expenses! I would NEVER expect people to pay that kind of money! RIDICULOUS!!!

Dustina, GREAT pic of you knitting! Glad you had a good time on vaca!

Jackie, cute Barbie clothes! I got started sewing by making Barbie clothes. Hopefully, it will get your daughter into knitting more!

QOTD:Blue! But I love blues and look good in them, so it can't be too much, right?!?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
dustinac (09-08-2008), Karina (09-08-2008), knitgal (09-08-2008), Lieke (09-08-2008)
Old 09-08-2008, 06:21 AM   #6026
Karina
Working the Gusset

Leike Happy birthday, have to check out your blog to see the gerbils.

Gina Thanks for that, yes I have no idea what shortening means. I do have Trex in my fridge though so looks like Im all set.

Dustina Glad you and family had a great time at your mum's.

Ann I feel for you. Since it is family its not like you can deside to not go. Hope it works out OK for you.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #6027
Lieke
Working the Gusset

Jackie, those barbieclothes look great!

The gerbils don't have names yet, still thinking about it.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #6028
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Good Morning Socksters!!

Gina~Thank you, my mouth is turned funny 'cause I was telling mom "did you take it yet"

Karina~Thank you!

Lieke~How about Elvis and Pricillia (although that's my name for anything coupled) or Fred & Ginger....

Well today is going to be speng unpacking, cleaning, and doing laundry. I prolly should throw the grass in there too since it decided to grow while we were gone ...

Knitting wise I need to finish up Roo's mittens and then if I get a quiet moment start the CW border. I need to start some socks for Sept too but not sure which to do first.

I hope you all have a great day of knitting!!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #6029
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Dang, I keep trying to get through all the pages I have to catch up on, but they keep growing... So I'll do a reply up through page 601 and then get back to reading.

Jess, sorry about the sock frogging- but better now than later. I really enjoy wines, and trying new ones. I think the best way to find good new wines is to make friends with someone who is already into wines, and let them choose for a while. Or, go to restaurants with good wine lists and choose something that sounds good. Just try new things until you find things you like. It's a journey- your tastes develop the more things you try.

Chris, I LOVE the pics, you are one good looking KIPK'er! I'm not sure I can afford to overnight a pie, but I could certainly 2-day some cookies if you're interested!

Julie, good luck with your classes! Sorry the first one was so hard- I bet once you get back in the 'swing' of school it will get easier. I hope Caitlin is feeling better!

Lady Vi, your red spinning is lovely, and the roving is gorgeous! Is the WM as wonderful as you thought it would be?

Christine, the dress is absolutely stunning!

Lynn, great job on your first socks!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (09-08-2008), Lady Violet (09-08-2008), The.Knitter (09-08-2008)
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #6030
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
OK, one more reply... what is up with the board today? I guess they're doing updates or something.

Dustina, that's a great photo of you! I'm glad you guys had a good time. I had to laugh at your 'Fred & Ginger' suggestion. We recently got a cordless phone with 2 handsets, and you can 'name' the handsets for some reason... I named them Fred & Ginger.

Lynn, I can't wait to see what socks you knit next! There are tons of good sock books out there, and also tons of free patterns on the web.

Jackie, wow, barbie clothes! that's some tiny knitting!

Ann, I know it's Josh's brother, but you shouldn't feel obligated to buy presents for both shower and wedding, plus all the other expenses you're being expected to bear! I think you should consider Josh's participation in all the events as present enough and leave it at that! Also, if you do want to bring a present, registering at stores is just to give people suggestions for gifts, you are in no way obligated to shop from the registry.

Lieke, Happy Birthday! Congrats on getting your master paper intro submitted!

Whew! Ok, not much news from me. I started Emily's ruffled pants, finally got past the ruffle and the first stripe... then put them aside to start a cardie for her. I hope to make her more than one, but I started with an easy Lion Brand pattern. So far I have the bottom and part of the two sleeves. It's knit from the bottom up, pausing at the armholes to knit the sleeves, then somehow joined and finished from the sleeves up. I'm going to have to check my gauge again, because at this point the bottom part before the sleeves looks way too short!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
dustinac (09-08-2008), jberry16 (09-08-2008), knitgal (09-08-2008), Lieke (09-09-2008)
Closed Thread