Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #631
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
First off I've found this, it's a heel # chart for turing different types of heels!

Jenny I have the same problem, wide feet but mine are an 8 1/2 to 9 shoe size (US)-but the ball of my foot is 9" around too. I found that at 8spi 72 is too big, and at 9spi 64 is too small...for the simply love socks I made, I co 64 sts @ 8spi on size 2 needles and it worked fine, probably because it was a lace pattern, if I do cables or something I'll probably have to do 68 sts. I've heard that you are to measure your foot and multiply that number by your spi gauge swatch (always knit in the round b/c most knit tighter in the round than back and forth) & then subtract 10%. So at 8spi and a 9" foot, 9x8=72-10%=64.8 so I go anywhere around there, 64-66 or 68 for cables. hope that helps And then if you're going toe up, you start the heel 2" before you need it to be (if short row) or 4" if using a gusset and heelflap. Or if you're going top down, stop 2" before you need the end of the toe. works well both ways-just remember 2".

Silegose: I haven't made those socks yet, those were just some I found on google, but I want to.

& dh's heel is turned! time to pu gusset sts
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
alleusion (02-20-2008), knitgal (02-20-2008), Lisa1216 (02-21-2008), siameezerlady (02-20-2008), silegose (02-20-2008), The.Knitter (02-20-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #632
siameezerlady
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi again, Everybody!

Well, it will still be a few hours before DH gets his legs in the door, so I can have him model his socks for you, but wanted to say something to:
Abbily: Such BEAUTIFUL first socks - you have to promise not to laugh at mine My question that I mentioned in an earlier post was this: I did Silver's Sock class, and just tried a lace pattern from an old knitting book, but I think it meant for me to use flat knitting for the pattern, and I was knitting in the round for the main part of the foot. Do most patterns that use patterning in the foot have you work like the piece was flat and do purl and knit both? Do I make sense? I love the Monkey socks (I forgot who posted the link today, but thank you again), and want to try them next. I see Julie is doing No-purl Monkey socks, but they have a pattern! This is so new to me! AND, your baby sweater patterns are precious! I would second the blue and green color choices for a boy.

Fibrenut: Such an awesome video - I loved the family sounds in the background, too. I made it a favorite. I hope to try it soon!

Silegose: I was reading it as "sill(y) Go(o)se right from the get-go, but then again, I'm often dyslexic Nice to know I was getting it correctly for a change... I love your new yarn and stitch markers! Very impressed, here. I added the Cat Bordhi videos to my favorites as well - thanks for linking them on your post.

Gina: How is your hand doing? I had knit what I guess is the English style before this year, when I got arthritis in my hands and knees. I switched over to Continental (well, sort-of Continental, anyway) with this first pair of socks and after fussing with the purling for a bit, am now pretty comfortable with it. Doesn't hurt as much. Your silver hand splint is interesting - does it seem to help still? BTW, I used a worsted weight for my socks and he is looking foward to wearing them in his Sorrell boots.

Dustinac: I love the Easter-themed sock blockers, AND the green striped sock in the picture with them! And you are "down" to enough yarn for 30 (THIRTY?) pairs of socks? You sound like me with material (and now yarn, hoo boy).

Julie: Where is the pattern for those No purl Monkey socks located please? I love, love, love the color you're using! Your new yarn from Cherry Tree Hill is beautiful as well, esp. the mostly gold/orangeish one on the right!

Hi to everyone else - I sure wish I knew how to open a separate window on my Mac so I could make sure I didn't overlook anyone - I'm still learning about this stuff
Sorry for the long post- I had to catch up with you all and now go make dinner. Then when he gets home, it's sock picture taking time!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to siameezerlady For This Useful Post:
Abbily (02-21-2008), dustinac (02-21-2008), jberry16 (02-20-2008)
Old 02-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #633
jberry16
Instepping Out

Siameezerlady: I'm not yet doing the no purl monkeys that was just a pic I found on google. As for the pattern you follow the regular pattern for the monkeys on knitty.com and where it says to purl you just knit-thats all there is to it. I do want to do them though. Cant wait to see your dh's socks.

anyone here have an ipod? what's your fav thing to do with it? audio books, movies, tv shows, podcasts or music?
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
siameezerlady (02-20-2008)
Old 02-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #634
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
That was great advice from jberry about sizing your socks !
I wouldn't move up to a bigger size needle, as you don't want your knitted 'fabric' to be too 'loosey-goosey'.........socks should have a fairly closed fabric....atleast on the stockinetter portion.

See that? I made it big, because I always DO THAT. I always hit the r when I finish typing stockinette........I did it AGAIN, and backspaced it away ! I ALWAYS DO THAT ! ! !

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
Old 02-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #635
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
[quote=siameezerlady;1066838]Hi again, Everybody!

My question that I mentioned in an earlier post was this: I did Silver's Sock class, and just tried a lace pattern from an old knitting book, but I think it meant for me to use flat knitting for the pattern, and I was knitting in the round for the main part of the foot. Do most patterns that use patterning in the foot have you work like the piece was flat and do purl and knit both? Do I make sense?

I think I understand what you're asking. .............when you read a chart for flat knitting, you know that you purl the stitches on the second row, even though the symbol is for a knit stitch. But, NO, on socks they're written for in the round, and if the stitch appears on the chart as a knit stitch, it is a knit stitch, no matter which round it's on. If it's a purl, it'll look like a purl on the chart !

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to ...dotty... For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #636
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhh, I finally finished the last 7' scarf my DD asked for three weeks before Christmas. I've never been so bored with anything in my life, but they are all finally finished and I will deliver this last one on Monday. It is my grandson's 8th birthday Monday and we are invited to his birthday supper.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	FO - DD's 7' Scarf Small.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	46997  

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #637
siameezerlady
Ribbing the Cuff

Oh, okay - you did understand my question Dotty. Thanks - I was just trying to use the wrong sort of instructions for knitting in the round, then.
That is good to know. It did come out sort of interesting, tho, so I decided to keep it, rather than frog it. And Dotty, I just began looking at everyone's photo sites, and your socks rock! My favorites, although it's hard to choose, are the ones you use as your photo here. Great colors
I'm off to take a few pics of my pitiful yarn stash. At least dinner is finally in the oven!
The Following User Says Thank You to siameezerlady For This Useful Post:
...dotty... (02-20-2008)
Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #638
jberry16
Instepping Out

I still have to make dinner.

Siameezerlady: I feel so bad for not answering your ? I totally forgot-I plead 3 kids. The way I've always used flat patterns in socks is I follow row one the way it's written and then row 2 where you would purl the knit sts from row 1 I knit those, any that are purled on row 1 would remain purled- I think...are you totally confused? Glad you think it looks good as is :tink: is no fun. Glad Dotty answered your ?, if you have a specific pattern to convert just type the pattern as it's written here and we'll help as much as possible and asap.
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #639
silegose
Knitting the Flap

Good evening all....

Well just a little bit of time on here before idol starts for our region.

I cheated tonight! We had subway..

Well the beads I thought I picked up for my sock are to small.. So I have changed and am going to try the monkey sock...

FO: simple cable

http://silegose.blogspot.com/

Old 02-20-2008, 08:33 PM   #640
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Oh, so much I want to say, but can't type too much today!

So, to those who posted pretties: WOW!!! Such talent! Socks, blockers, markers and VIDEOS! WOW!!

Dustina, I know this sounds really weird, but rub Vicks Vaporub on your FEET. Wear socks. Rub it on twice a day and your cough won't bother you. I promise it works!!!!

We went to Celtic Women on Sunday. It was WONDERFUL! We were WAAAAYYY far away, so bring binoculars. The percussionists were SO fascinating to watch. BRING BINOCULARS if you're not up front!

So about Continental knitting: I've tried to learn before, but can't get the gauge right. I'm thinking I should try again, but I"m not sure it's worth the effort since my LH is worse than my RH: Arthritis in both thumbs, index finger and pinkie of left hand. Do y'all think it's worth learning for me, or will it just make that hand worse?
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
dustinac (02-21-2008)
Closed Thread