Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #9921
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Is your yarn killing you?!?
Not at the moment, but the knitting is.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #9922
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Julie, your post about Katie made me chuckle. I feel for your sis. We moved to Texas over 20 years ago and didn't know a soul! I've done that a few times.

QOTD: Get INVOLVED in a church. Do volunteer work, teach Sunday school, go to Bible study groups, craft group or whatever. Help out with VBS or other programs that need volunteers. And don't be shy! Let people know you're new in town. If she's a knitter-even a beginner, she may be able to find a group nearby on Ravelry.

Carey, YAY for Emily's donation to Locks of Love! She'll be SO cute when she gets her hair cut, too!

Dustina, I feel for Roo. I take really good care of my teeth, but still get cavities. DH has NEVER had a cavity and rarely flosses, etc.! My family has genetically soft/bad teeth. His has great teeth. Oh well. As for the flies, I'd put fly strips up, but I wouldn't use sprays or pesticides if you want to stay organic.

Rosalie, me too! I have to do less knitting today or I won't be ABLE to knit for awhile!

Hi to those MIA! We miss you!
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (06-09-2009)
Old 06-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #9923
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
QOTD - She needs to realize that she has to make the effort. There is no way the people in town will know she is new and knows know one unless she speaks up. Then check the paper for groups that may have similar interests, does she have a hobby or interests that can use to find people with similar interests.

As a last resort she could make up posters with her picture and staple them to telephone poles through out town (mainly the good sections of town) "New to the area looking for a friend!"

The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (06-09-2009)
Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #9924
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Hi,

Wow, looks like I missed a lot. Been busy visiting my boyfriend and going to theme parks and whatnot. Yesterday was a bad day, spent most of it in bed feeling very ill. I then spent most of this afternoon packing. With graduation round the corner we are all moving out of the house we have been renting, the cleansing started over the weekend and continues into next week.

There are four of us living in this house and only two of us to clean tomorrow. One of the others did the garden, which was a monster job (we haven't touched the garden in two years out of protest since there was no lawnmower and it was not our responsibility to get one!), we are therefore letting her off cleaning.

The other housemate spent today waiting at home for the internet man and is off to visit family tomorrow. We have therefore delegated her the worst job - the kitchen and the cupboard under the stairs (we are all a bit spider phobic so we feel this is punishment enough). We have warned her about the kitchen but since she did not ring me back I have not warned her about the cupboard.

Are we mean?

I'll try to check in more once the cleaning and results and everything is over. I get my degree classification on the 18th and I'm really starting to worry now.

Am I the only one who gets more worried about results day than about the actual exams?

All the socks (and other knitting) I've seen look fab! I'm sorry but I can't remember who knit what. We'll put it down to the illness from yesterday causing my brain to be on a go slow.

The Following User Says Thank You to rachejm For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (06-09-2009)
Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #9925
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
We can close on the house!

Ok so this afternoon it was looking iffy...the insurance company said no, they wouldn't insure the house 'cause it had a moldy roof...the appraiser said so...our Realtor said no it dosen't...so she went and climbed up taking pictures of the roof and sent them to the insurance company...they called back and said that isn't the right house...she said umm yes it is...they said no it's not...so she asked for the addy and they had been given the wrong address and info on the house...once they got the right info they passed it...and the bank people said good for us...and they gave us the ok to close on the house

Fingers crossed we close by Friday (hopefully by Thursday)...although our lender is trying hard to get tomorrow night but our Realtor told us not to get our hopes up

ohh I was going to post cow pictures they are on JD's computer...I'll be back

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
Old 06-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #9926
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Here are our cows, the barncat that lives with the cows, and the kittens...The cat just rubs against the cows like they are other cats
Attached Images:

Old 06-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #9927
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
congratulations Dustina!!!!
That's awesome! Glad they figured out it was the wrong address! As for the wd40 on the cows, I'd read that too; but not sure I'd want that on their faces either, it's greasy and would attract the dirt. Grandma did talk to her sis & she said that they use vaseline only when they get bad bites that turn to sores. And that they didn't use it much on their cows mostly on the dogs ears (cause of fly bites). She said having cows means having flies & that their faces are always covered, that's just part of being a cow. "that's why I'd never wanna be a cow!" she said earlier. I love Grandma, she's almost 80 and will tell it like it is reguardless.
ETA: those cows are so pretty & those kittens, awe.

THanks for all the help for my sis. She's going to a 'new wives meeting' tomorrow on the base (he's in the airforce) and hopefully she'll meet some new people there that she'd like to hang out with. She's not a knitter (yet) but I sent her the how to stuff this morning. And she doesnt' have internet access except by her hubbys blackberry phone. So she kept his phone today and he has hers.

Last edited by jberry16 : 06-09-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: posted at same time as Dustina.
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
dustinac (06-09-2009)
Old 06-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #9928
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Hi everyone! Just a quick post here....

Dustina- on the house closing!! I asked my DH and our neighbors that have had cows and they said that farm and tractor stores sell kits that are treated material strips that hang down from the barn doors. As the cows pass through to go in and out, they rub against these strips and the chemical on them rubs onto their faces and bodies and help keep the flies off them. Maybe check around for a farm type store (we have Central Tractor stores here). I'm sure they could help you out.

Hi to everyone. Will try to be back soon to catch up with you all!

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa1216 For This Useful Post:
dustinac (06-10-2009)
Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #9929
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Rache, nice to read your post again. Have fun cleaning. Ugh. Glad you don't have to do it all yourself!

Dustina, I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! Your first house and you get cows and kittens to go with it! YAY!!! Be sure you check that the right address is on all the documents when you go to closing! You may want to read up on how to care for cows. Are they milkers?

Lisa, nice to see you posting, too! You must be running again, from your avatar info! Hope you're doing well and no shin splints!

Tomorrow we get ready for our trip. Ugh. I hate packing and I have SO much other stuff to do as well. It will be busy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
dustinac (06-10-2009), rachejm (06-10-2009)
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #9930
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Good Morning Socksters!

Rachejm~I hope you guys get everything sorted and cleaned quickly...good luck on result day, I'm sure you did fine

Gina~I hope you guys have a wonderful trip! Nah they don't have "gutters" as Roo says . The owners now have been great on telling us what to do for them, they just don't mind the flies since they are cows...I just thought having them in your eyes would be miserable

Lisa~Ohh I'll tell JD he said something like that but he thought you had to build it for them to walk through...I'll let him know we could put it on the barn

Julie~That's good, I'm sure that will help her meet the other wives

Hi Chris, Carey, Sue, Christine, Ann, Karina, Carla, Dotty, Lieke, Jackie, Emily, Mare, Steve, Lady Vi, everyone!

Nothing much happening here today but hoping to hear a time and date for the closing. I have to take the kids to VBS in a bit and then run out for a plain shirt for Roo. They will be painting them tomorrow. Then I need to do laundry, dishes, and start on the grass. I also gotta remember to take the Stocking patterns down to the LYS so they can start handing them out to folks. I'm waiting for JD to look over my last sheet of information for them...then hopefully I can knit

Yesterday while our Realtor was up on the roof taking pictures we went to the local pool over there in hopes that Isaiah could start meeting kids from there. They had a blast...we were there for almost 5hrs so I got nothing finished...but that did wear them out and they went right off to sleep last night. Even though this house will have a pool we are going to do that through the summer so he can make friends, and Roo too...

Okey dokey I gotta run and get them moving...hope you guys have a great day of knitting

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
cacunn (06-10-2009), jberry16 (06-10-2009), knitgal (06-10-2009), rachejm (06-10-2009)
Closed Thread