Old 01-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
xknitknitx
Casting On

Thumb Gusset
I don't understand how to being the thumb gusset for a wrist warmer
this is an example:
Begin Thumb Gusset:
First Rnd: K1, inc one st by working (p1, k1) both in next st, inc one st by working (k1, p1) both in next st, work to end of rnd.
Next Rnd: k1, p1, k2, p1, work to end of rnd.
Next Rnd: k1, inc one st by working (p1, k1) both in next st, k2, inc one st by working (k1, p1) both in next st, work to end of rnd.
Continue increasing in this manner at thumb gusset until there are 16 sts of gusset, not including purl sts.
Next Rnd: K2, thread the 16 sts of the gusset onto a scrap piece of yarn and tie loosely (these sts will be worked later), work to end of rnd. Work even until entire piece measures 17". Change to #5 needles and work p2 k2 rib for 1". BO in rib.

Finishing the Gusset:
With #5 needles, divide the 16 sts between 3 needles and pull scrap yarn out.
Work one rnd even.
Work k2 p2 rib for ". BO in rib.

can someone tell me how to begin becuase i have a hard time figuring it out

Last edited by xknitknitx : 01-27-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Pleaseee helpppp =(
xknitknitx is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
if i'm reading this correctly, what this is having you do is increase so that the sts fall into the already estalblished k1, p1, k2, p1 pattern, but i'm speculating because the whole pattern is here, but you can see in Rnd 2, it begins with k1, p1, k2, p1, which is the increases you worked in the last round, (p1, k1) in the next stitch and then (k1, p1) in the next. i believe each increase row is being altered slightly in that manner just for aesthetic reasons so the increases aren't obvious right on top of each other. i'm not sure how many sts you're starting with since it just says "end of round" but you would do the increasing until you have 16 K sts, not counting the purls (not sure why not counting the Ps, not familiar with that part really)

at that point, where it says "thread the 16 sts of the gusset onto a scrap piece of yarn" take a yarn needle threaded with a short length of scrap yarn in a smooth yarn, different color, and just slip the 16 sts off of the left needle onto the yarn needle, and then make the loose tie to keep them secure.

at the "finishing the gusset" part, you will take the double points and slip the stitches on the waste yarn onto the 3 DPNs and remove the waste yarn and then begin working them. you will need to re-join the yarn here to do this.

i'm not sure if that is your question or if it's the increases you're having trouble with. if it's the increases, what you do on the K1, P1, is knit the stitch like normal, but leave it on the left needle, bring the yarn to the front, and purl the same stitch again, then drop the stitch off the left needle, and with the P1, K1, you purl it normally, leaving the stitch on the needle, then bring the yarn to the back and knit it, then dropping it off the left needle.

i'm not sure if i've answered your question. if i didn't, please let me know and i'll do my best! hope this helps!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

What you are doing is increasing in two places every second round (odd rounds increase, even rounds no increase).
What this gives you is a triangle basically, it's upside down, the tip is at the bottom of your thumb. You are doing two increases, not one: those increases get further apart every round. Those increases make a line each: those lines getting further apart as you go up the hand, are the two lines of the triangle! (It's not an equilateral triangle, it's a very pointy symmetrical upside-down triangle, like the bottom half of a diamond shape)

Just do exactly what the pattern says instead of thinking about it, if it's confusing you.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Tigerstripe
Casting On

Originally Posted by xknitknitx View Post
I don't understand how to being the thumb gusset for a wrist warmer
this is an example:
Begin Thumb Gusset:
First Rnd: K1, inc one st by working (p1, k1) both in next st, inc one st by working (k1, p1) both in next st, work to end of rnd.
Next Rnd: k1, p1, k2, p1, work to end of rnd.
Next Rnd: k1, inc one st by working (p1, k1) both in next st, k2, inc one st by working (k1, p1) both in next st, work to end of rnd.
Continue increasing in this manner at thumb gusset until there are 16 sts of gusset, not including purl sts.
Next Rnd: K2, thread the 16 sts of the gusset onto a scrap piece of yarn and tie loosely (these sts will be worked later), work to end of rnd. Work even until entire piece measures 17". Change to #5 needles and work p2 k2 rib for 1". BO in rib.

Finishing the Gusset:
With #5 needles, divide the 16 sts between 3 needles and pull scrap yarn out.
Work one rnd even.
Work k2 p2 rib for ". BO in rib.

can someone tell me how to begin becuase i have a hard time figuring it out

Hi, I'm a new member who just discovered this old post when I came up against the same problem. You probably resolved it ages ago, but I thought it was worthwhile giving a slightly more detailed reply for others who come up against this.

I believe you were following the the pattern for http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/mikado-gloves.html

As a relative beginner to knitting, I found the instructions for the thumb vague to say the least, although the design is a lovely one and it's worth perservering with.

Redwitch's reply gave the clue I needed to work it out, although it took a lot of frustrated head-scratching and ripping apart and re-knitting before I finally grasped exactly what she was saying a couple of hours later.

I found the thumb gusset to take 16 rounds and I've written down the first few rounds so you get the idea. I've written in bold the extra knit stitches so it's obvious how the triangle increases:

Follow instructions for first 3 rounds, then:
Rnd 4: K1, P1, K4, P1, work to end of round in pattern

Rnd 5: (odd number rounds are increase rounds) K1, make one inc by P1 K1 in nxt st, K4, make one inc by K1 P1 in next st, work to end of rnd

Rnd 6: K1, P1, K6, P1, work to end of rnd

Rnd 7: K1, make one inc by P1 K1 in nxt st, K6, make one inc by K1 P1 in next st, work to end of rnd

Rnd 8: K1, P1, K8, P1, work to end of rnd

Rnd 9: K1, make one inc by P1 K1 in nxt st, K8, make one inc by K1 P1 in next st, work to end of rnd

Rnd 10: K1, P1, K10, P1, work to end of rnd (for me this was also the cable round, so make sure you're ready for that!! I'm not even sure if I understood how many rounds the pattern repeat took so watch out for this on your own work)

Continue in this way until you get to round 16. The knit stitches on the even rounds go up by 2 each time. Hope this all makes sense and saves other novices time. I've just finished the left glove, now got to reverse the above for the right!!!

Nice to meet you all, I'll be back soon!

Elizabeth.
Tigerstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerstripe For This Useful Post:
cando (12-01-2009)