Old 01-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
What baby stuff are you knitting??
Hello...

I have a baby arriving in June that I must knit for...Don't know the sex yet, and I could do virtually anything for any size, as there is lots of time...

I have two large balls of bernat somethingerother (baby weight - one ball is yellow and green, the other is blue and pink)

What are you working on..? What is your favorite project babywise? And is it better to knit one project, or a whole bunch of little ones...like diaper covers and bibs??

I am no mom...I am not sure what things are best for new moms (she is a first time mother)

Let me know what you think!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm working on a full layette, personally. I already have a cardigan, bonnet, and bib finished, still have booties and blanket to go.

I'm also working on diaper covers. But if she's not planning on cloth diapering, they're really not necessary.

I also have a sleep sack, another soaker and another sweater OTN.
cristeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Sleep sack could be interesting...That can sort of be used anywhere right??

Old 01-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
alleusion
Turning the Heel

I've got a snuggle (kind of an all in one) OTN, but am almost out of yarn for it, so need to hold until I go shopping. I just finished a pair of booties, and I have a bib that just needs the border around the outside before it's done.

I also have a soaker that needs weaving in of ends and another soaker on hold (again ran out of yarn) on crochet hooks.

I have plans to make more soakers / diaper covers, as well as a full set of booties as soon as I get the pattern book I need from my storage unti (soon I hope). I've got just over 8 weeks to get this done...then knitting will take a back seat to diapering, nursing, and sleeping

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Crycket View Post
Sleep sack could be interesting...That can sort of be used anywhere right??
Absolutely.

Out of wool, it can work as a night-time cover for cloth diapers, but it can also make blankets obsolete. For an area with cold winters, you can even add a hood and it can become an all-day sack as well.

You can make them like a really long sweater, or like a really long tank top. Just be sure to allow room for their legs to move around. You can close the bottom or not as you prefer, and you can even put a slit in it to allow a seat belt buckle between the legs. There are all sorts of options.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Absolutely.

Out of wool, it can work as a night-time cover for cloth diapers, but it can also make blankets obsolete. For an area with cold winters, you can even add a hood and it can become an all-day sack as well.

You can make them like a really long sweater, or like a really long tank top. Just be sure to allow room for their legs to move around. You can close the bottom or not as you prefer, and you can even put a slit in it to allow a seat belt buckle between the legs. There are all sorts of options.
Yeah...It is a summer baby...I suppose a light one would make a really great stroller bundle too...

Old 01-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
alleusion
Turning the Heel

Something else to think about...a sleep sack makes it really easy for the parent to change the diaper at night without having to half strip the baby. If you're going to go this route, I would suggest a pattern with a zipper or some type of drawstring closure at the bottom.

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
okay the idea of the sleep sack kind of scares me but i would have to see one i think to get the horrible imagery out of my head... especially one with draw strings. *fret*

(it's odd that i fret like that and i have no kids of my own or any planned in the future....lol)
aaaaaaaaanyway.... right now i have a baby blanket on the needles. i really hate doing them because they are fairly boring but this one is okay for right now. I basically took the danica scarf pattern and widened it so that it is 90 stitches wide. so it will look cute when it is done i think. i have also done the pinwheel afghan and it is really a good thing that the baby is so cute because i would probably hate her after having done that pattern. that one reeeeeeeally made me want to poke my eyes out!

I have also done diaper covers for all my friends' babies (since i have started knitting anyway) and baby hats, mittens, and socks. I hate making adult socks but baby socks are just so darn cute and quick how can you resist really?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by brendajos View Post
okay the idea of the sleep sack kind of scares me but i would have to see one i think to get the horrible imagery out of my head... especially one with draw strings. *fret*
Imagery?

The one I'm making will look just like a tank dress that's several inches too long. But I'm not going to bother closing the bottom, either.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
actually.... i just bought a book of baby sock patterns using either ww yarn or baby yarn... i downloaded some hat patterns but i like to make socks to go with the hats and sometimes i'll add a baby afghan (either knit or crochet... i have a friend that works with the Port Jervis project linus so i like to put sets together and then deliver them to her when i see her every other month).