Old 01-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
arctic_mosquito
Casting On

Yarn quality for babies
I thought of knitting some baby outfits and accessories . Personally, i like 100% wool since it is most natural. 100% cotton works for me as well. But how do babies react to 100% wool, as it can itch? Is it a bad idea for hats and gloves and socks? How about clothes?
What kind of yarn is usually used for baby knitting?
arctic_mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by arctic_mosquito View Post
I thought of knitting some baby outfits and accessories . Personally, i like 100% wool since it is most natural. 100% cotton works for me as well. But how do babies react to 100% wool, as it can itch? Is it a bad idea for hats and gloves and socks? How about clothes?
What kind of yarn is usually used for baby knitting?
This is just me, but personally I always use acrylic. I've never had anyone complain that it bothered the baby (I've found even Red Heart Super Saver softens up very nicely after washing and I always wash and dry the items before gifting them), it tends to wear very well, and the ease of washing/drying is a huge plus IMHO. No hand washing or drying flat, etc.; and it tends to be more stain resistant than wool or cotton.
The parents I know want the easiest-care items they can get, and in my book, acrylics fit the bill nicely.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
arctic_mosquito
Casting On

Thanks! I never thought of the washing part
Wool is a hassle to wash.
arctic_mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
alleusion
Turning the Heel

Acrylic is good for babies until you know whether or not they're allergic to wool. There are wools out there that are not itchy, slightly more expensive, but non itchy.

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
hainangel2000
1st Leg of the Journey

Simply soft
Wendy's peter pan yarns
Debbie Bliss her soft baby yarns
there are many if you visit somewhere other then a yarn shop you can find many!
Craft Forum: http://haincraftforum.org
Bereavement Forum: http://haincomfortforum.org
My Home: http://rockypointschool-homestead.blogspot.com/
hainangel2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

It depends on what you're making, where the baby lives, and the people you're giving it to.

Personally I prefer natural fibers for baby, so I would prefer wool or cotton over acrylic any day. For a baby in a cold winter area, wool is ideal since it keeps them warm at the same time as it breathes. Acrylics don't breathe, which can lead to overheating. Use superwash if you're concerned about washing. Knitpicks has some lovely soft superwash wools and they're pretty cheap, too.

Most manmade fibers also do not absorb, so anything that might get wet, from drool, leaky diaper, spit-up, should be an absorbent fiber, which would be pretty much your natural fibers, wool, cotton, even linen. I've never tried corn, soy or bamboo fibers, but I'd imagine they'd be more absorbent than acrylic.

If you're going to use a fiber like cotton, be sure you allow for shrinkage. Alternately wash it before knitting it up. It makes it a bit harder to work with, but you don't have to worry about as much shrinkage.

And any natural fiber other than regular wool or organic cotton needs to be washed several times before being put on a baby. It takes several washes for the sizing to be removed and the yarn to get to it's naturally soft state.
cristeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Suziblues
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Suziblues
My daughter and daughter-in-law just had babies and they both said they liked the soft yarn, but not too fuzzy.
I guess the fuzz comes off and sticks all over the baby. My daugher was also concerned about the baby breathing in the fuzz! (first kid).
You get what you need."
M. Jagger
Suziblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Another issue that I've read about is that acrylic items can be dangerous for items the baby will sleep in as it melts if exposed to flame, whereas wool is naturally flame retardant. Make sure that anything acrylic that you knit for the baby is only used when they child is supervised.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
mom2rachjust (01-30-2008)
Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #9
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
depending on the garment, there's also 100% organic WW cotton out there too... bought some this past weekend at Joann's.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
babsnelson
1st Leg of the Journey

The best baby gifts I ever received were a baby blanket and cardigan knit and crocheted by my aunt. Both were done in an acrylic - the blanket in Red Heart and the cardigan is unknown (but I'd guess Red Heart again.) They washed beautifully and maintained their shape. I have them stored away in a box for when my babies have their own babies *sob* .

OTN - Another Market Bag, Patons Must Have Cardigan, Monkey Socks

Next up - Summer sweater for me, Socks for Sis, and anything else I decide I can't live without!

FO's for 2008: Branching out Scarf, 2 pair Fuzzy Feet, Market bags - lots!, felted purse, yarn holder, Little Cables hat for Nate, Bell-lace Socks, Baby Cardigan and booties, 3 pair of mittens

My Blog

babsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote