Old 01-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
boo1
Turning the Heel

I really wish I liked inexpensive yarn.....
but I basically hate it. I hate 100% acrylic to the point that I can't do prayer shawls because they need to be washable, so I'm giving all of my crochet yarn (read: acrylic) to someone at my LYS for her shawl ministry. I haven't found a yarn yet that has acrylic in it that I don't hate. I'm even disliking the inexpensive cotton yarns.

Why do I always have champagne taste and a beer pocketbook?

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
kimmypooh
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to kimmypooh
I don't like the way most of it feels as well.But for me almost all of the time if I want to knit, I will use it. I am on SSI and my DH is going to school so there just isint money for me to be as picky at all . Sometimes we have to do with what we can get or not do at all. (at least in my case) When I want to knit with something nicer I have to save up and use coupons at Michaels or Joann's, I really can never afford to go to LYS and get the really nice stuff. So I guess its a choice of doing what you can with what you can afford, or not doing all the things you want, going into debt (not a good idea), or not doing it at all. Thats what I had to decide. I understand your situation, but not everybody can be a yarn snob, even if they really want to. Also I found some fairly inexpensive wool (I think it was lion fisherman's It cames in a big skein and I used coupons so that it was about $4) that can be dyed (using koolaid, wiltons, or food coloring, and I did find some actual wool dye for not to much online) at Joann's, thats what I am going to do for a bag I want to make that has to be felted. Maybe you could do that. Just my thoughts on the subject. Also sometimes they have good deals on Ebay, just watch the shipping cost or it can make it more expensive that it would be in the first place. I hope you find a solution!
Next UP: My first real socks
Next UP: Baby Surprise Jacket- if I can figure out what size of yarn to use

kimmypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Sunny_Singer
Knitting the Flap

I have knitted with red heart super saver and similar acrylic yarns for years, mostly because it was all I could find and more than likely even if natural fibers were available, all I could afford.

Receiving natural fiber yarns in a swap or from an odd gift are more like treats than the norm.

I discovered that I am really getting picky about finding perfect patterns for them - for I don't want to waste the yarn trying something too hard or with too many new techniques at once. I also want something I know I will wear or use - not something that will end up folded up in a drawer forgotten.

I am one of the unlucky ones: I cannot view videos

OTN:

blanket for a man, scarf, poncho, 1 rug, baby blanket, finger puppet

2008 FO:

finger puppets: cat (2), dog, pig, frog, butterfly, bunny
Sunny_Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
candicane
Working the Gusset

I also dislike acrylic yarns. Nor to I buy acrylic or polyester clothing (except for fleece).

What weight yarn do you use for prayer shawls? I am sure we can help you find some great deals online with fibers that you will like more.

candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
At Hobby Lobby a couple days ago I discovered Lion Brand 100% wool called Lion Wool for under $5.00 a skein...

knit2btied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
boo1
Turning the Heel

This is my number one hobby so I'm splurging.
The bills get paid and I'm not paying interest on my yarn purchases, so it's not that. I just wish sheep were more plentiful or something!

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
mrsberts
Casting On

Patons Classic Merino can often be found for less than $5.00, and is a joy to work with. I'd also recommend hitting every clearance and sale you can, and haunting Knit Picks.
mrsberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Karina
Working the Gusset

I think sometimes people can be a bit obsessed about brand names, and maybe miss out on a good thing because its not the in thing.

I don't like some of the acrylic yarns that I have found in this country but since doing the oddball baby blankets I have found out and bought some Lion Brand Micro spun which I am quite impressed with and would use again for myself.
My kids suffer from allergies and sensitive skins and usually I buy cotton Like Rowan Hand knit which is lovely to knit with and the new Bamboo yarn is beautifully soft love it a lot.
I did last week buy a knitting magazine with a lovely poncho for a child that used Noro Iro yarn and since hearing a lot about how brilliant etc Noro is I went ahead and bought 50 worth of wool over the Internet as I have no real yarn shops where I live. I have to say if I had felt the yarn first I would never have bought it. It looks nice but feels like sandpaper pretty much hate it.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

I dislike acrylics too. I'd recommend checking out Knitpicks for good cheap yarns. Their "Bare" line of wools have double-sized (100g) hanks for $3.50, with free shipping over $50. The superwash is more expensive of course. But their yarns are just lovely and I can't find a better price anywhere, even with sales. The cheapest I've found Paton's for locally is $4 on sale. Even their cottons are cheaper than buying Peaches & Cream locally for me.

And the bonus to buying your wools undyed is that you can choose your own colors.
cristeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
Newbie2Knitting
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Newbie2Knitting
It depends on who I'm knitting for as to whether I use natural fibers or not. Right now I'm knitting a felted backpack for my DD so that obviously is wool. I'm also working on sweaters for my 3 y/o boys for next fall. Knowing how they are, I'm doing that in Lion Brand (Vanna's Choice) acrylic. I need it to be durable, washable, and cheap so I won't if they do something to it. A woman my mom works with is due w/her 2nd baby in a couple of months. She's seen my knitting and wants me to do something for the baby but I'm also quite sure she won't care for it well. She'll also get something in acrylic. Anything for me - bring on the good stuff!

I'm KnittedSister on Ravelry - come visit with me!
Newbie2Knitting is offline   Reply With Quote