Old 02-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
oneyarn
Ribbing the Cuff

Great pictures of your start. Like the way you have everything set up for using the same yarn. (I haven't decided if I am going to be as brave as you and not use 2 different yarns.)
Looking forward to "watching" you knit on. I will be casting on this afternoon.

oneskein is all you need to knit happy
oneyarn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
I would most definitely like to try, but I probably won't be able to cast on for them for a couple of weeks or so. I'll check up on your progress to see how it goes and maybe get ideas. I'm confused as to how the decreases will work...

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

I read over the article, several times, and my poor little brain just can't seem to grasp this technique. I will be watching this KAL with great interest and will hopefully learn something. I'll be cheering you on!

lactosefree - I'm curious about your name. Are you lactose intolerant? About 6 months ago I found out I am severly lactose intolerant, and it has been such a hard adjustment. I need a mentor!

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for all your encouragment everyone!

McKnitty - Yep, I am severly lactose intolerant and have been for all my adult life. The secret lies in the lactase enzyme. Lactaid is the brand-name that is most common. Places like Walgreens, Target, etc have their own generic brands. Just make sure that you read the box and it says 9000 FCC Lactase Units per pill. I buy mine at Costco since I've found it to be the least expensive. It's 180 pills for $15. It's Kirkland brand and it's called Fast Acting Lactase. You swallow one with the first bite of food and you're good to go. One pill usually last me one meal.

A truely lactose intolerant person (vs. someone who is allergic to milk, or would get better by building up the enzyme) is when the body doesn't or can't produce the enzyme to break down the milk sugar found in dairy. This happens in when the food hits your small intestines. The pill that you swallow with your meal provides your body the enzyme that you would have secreted if you weren't intolerent.

I have adopted the phrase 'hmm... is this lactaid worthy?' when I eat food. It can get costly but the box from Costco lasts me about 2 months. I carry a supply of lactaid with me wherever I go. My friend once said to me that I carry lactaid like a man carries condoms. Hilarious.

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lactosefree For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (02-06-2008)
Old 02-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

I don't mean to take away from the awesome 2-socks-on-dpns' KAL, but I want to say 'thanks lactosefree'. I only know two people who are LI, and they both have a very light case of it. Unfortunately I have tried the Lactaid pills without any luck, so I've completely given up all dairy. I really miss pizza and lasagna!

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

McKnitty - Don't give up! Are you sure the pills you took were the 9000 FCC's of Lactase Enzyme? The other one are not high enough in dosage for me... especially the chewable ones and the ones where they make you take 2 at a time. I am severly intolerant to the point where I can't even have a pat of butter on my bread and the pills work. I have also come to absolutely love soy milk and alternative vegan items. Living in the SF bay area there are tons of choices for me in terms of non dairy foods. Amy's is a company that makes organic foods and there is a fantastic frozen lasagna (individual sized serving) made with soy cheese. I'd be happy to talk to you about all this if you want to PM me.

Sock update - I have successfully moved my cast on stitches onto 4 dpns and have knit all the way around once. Now i'm onto purling the next round. I think I'm going to attempt a k2p2 leg for the sock after these first two 'test' rounds. Will post pictures tonight when I get home from work.

The Following User Says Thank You to lactosefree For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (02-07-2008)
Old 02-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #17
oneyarn
Ribbing the Cuff

Well I wasn't brave. I ended up casting on with 2 different colors of yarn for my test socks. Also maybe it's cheating, but I am doing little socks to get the technique down.
Got my k1,p1 rib done and a couple of plain knit rows finished. It's really sort of fun to knit this way. But I admit it might be easier to go with bigger socks.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 socks.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	46720  

oneskein is all you need to knit happy
oneyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:40 AM   #18
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Oneyarn - your sock looks fabulous!

I just got home from dinner and so far I have an inch or so knit in k2p2 ribbing, but I've decided to unravel and start over.

When I followed the directions from the article I didn't realize that the # of cast on stitches was for learning and I wouldn't end up with a 'real' pair that would actually fit! I should have realized when there wasn't a gauge or foot measurements!

So I'm going to figure out the gauge for the yarn I'm using and recast-on with the appropriate number of stitches.

-----

Update:

I've figured out the gauge for my yarn and have determined the number of cast on stitches required. I hope to be done with my cast-on and first few rows tonight.

Last edited by lactosefree : 02-07-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #19
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

I have recast on with the appropriate stitches for my gauge for adult sized socks and this is what I have done so far.

I have come to realize though that knitting socks this way turns out much looser. The article actually suggests knitting with smaller sized needles just for this very reason, but of course I didn't really read that carefully until just now.

Oneyarn - how are you holding your working yarn? I'm attempting to hold both yarns with one hand, but it's not going as smoothly as I would like. I tried to hold one in my right and the other in my left but am finding that a bit awkward.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #20
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

i tried to co but its hard....ahhh!
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote