Old 03-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #51
Mike
Working the Gusset

We're a talkative bunch aren't we?

I'm only an inch away from starting the heel flap (or short row if I decide to do that method). Too bad I don't like shorter socks.

So far I've only knitted them together the one time. But I did purl a knit when I changed to my KP DPNs, that was easy to fix on the outside sock but really hard to get the crochet hook into the inside sock.

My sister was over today and I showed her. She asked if it was a sock and I said, "No, two socks" and pulled the inner one out.
She didn't know I was describing one sock inside the other over the phone. She was amazed and then confused.
I showed her some stitching, "K inside sock, K outside sock" and it didn't help her confusion.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #52
Mike
Working the Gusset

I got the heel flap and turn done.
I should either get the gusset done tonight or tomorrow.

It's amazing how fast it goes when you actually sit down and work on it.
It may seem to take a while but at least when I'm done I'll be done with the PAIR.

No real problem decreasing. I'd slip one, drop one, either slip the other over (for 2tog) or knit it over (for SKP), pick up the dropped stitch, slip the 2 back over and knit them or pass the stitch over the knitted stitch then decrease the second 2.

Getting my hand up in there to check if I've knitted them together is beginning to be a problem.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	flap.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	47550  Click image for larger version

Name:	turn.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	47551  

YouTube channel
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
lorna (03-16-2012)
Old 03-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #53
Mike
Working the Gusset

Now that I'm around the heel I can try them on for fit.
They're a bit too tight which makes them a lot thinner than I wanted and stretches open some holes around the flap. They're a lot shorter than I wanted.
That's pretty bad since I extended the men's sock pattern leg I was working with by 2"-4" and added 4 stitches.

I guess the pattern was sized for guys with extremely thin feet who wanted ankle socks. I shouldn't be too hard on the pattern writer, they'd probably would've fit me perfectly as written, WHEN I WAS TWELVE!
(Sorry, just venting about the lack of men's sock patterns actually fitted for a man's foot in a style men wear.)

They'll probably work for suit socks but I'll have to dye them.

YouTube channel
Old 03-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #54
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Mike! Your socks look fabulous!

My plan was to knit at least 5 inches of the leg in ribbing before moving onto the foot, but now that I see yours with the heel being turned I'm even more antsy to get a move on. Perhaps I should reconsider and start the foot pretty soon.... What a bummer about the pattern. I hope it works out.

I keep trying to pick my socks back up to get a move on it, but it seems something always gets in the way. I'm currently trying very hard to finish a lace scarf I'm knitting for a friend's birthday that already passed. I grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to finish it.

For some reason any projects that are just for me always end up being pushed aside, but I really do need to start devoting a little bit of time every day to knit for myself.

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:51 AM   #55
Mike
Working the Gusset

I'm sure they'll make good suit socks and be warmer than my other suit socks, everyone always seems to die in winter.
Blocking should get them to ease up a bit.
Good thing is I know I need more like 56 stitches next time, bad thing is I probably need at least 4 more inches on the leg. I'd better start those as soon as these are done if I want them done by winter.

Knitting and crochet is a meditation for me.
All of my crochet was for me because my sister has the market cornered on baby blankets.
I've found that knitting wasn't as relaxing, I think that was because once I managed to figure out hats I started a sweater for a great niece and when I do stuff for other people I put too much pressure on myself to finish. That gets me panicking, which was the whole reason I started crochet.
I think once I get the sweaters for my nieces done I won't be doing stuff for others for a while.

With my own stuff (as long as I'm not trying to beat the weather like starting a double knit wool hat at the end of Feb.) I can set it down when I get bored.
That's why I picked up the socks. I've got at least another skein to get the back of my sweater done (which was started because of a catastrophe with a sweater for another great nice), and there was only an inch to get to the heel flap. The socks won.

But now that I'm passed the gusset I'll probably slow down until I get near the toe. (In fact I put the socks down and picked the sweater back up tonight.)

This should get you even more antsy.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	2sock.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	47575  

YouTube channel
Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #56
Mike
Working the Gusset

I started another pair. This time black (and I'll probably put a couple of blue stripes in) with 60 stitches instead of 44.
They look large but the others looked right so hopefully they'll fit.
I figured if they large is better than small. I can use them as layers if they're large.

It's going much better this time, although 60 stitches starts every other needle with purl on the ribbing. That gets a bit confusing so I may switch to 4 needles to finish the ribbing.

Once I get the yarn puke cleaned up I'll have to finish the brown pair or make another small sock bag.

YouTube channel
Old 04-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #57
Mike
Working the Gusset

Finished.
There not as warm as I was hoping. Probably because even though I really stretched them for blocking they still stretch thin and open some holes.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	unblocked.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	47755  Click image for larger version

Name:	1st socks blocked.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	47756  

YouTube channel
Old 04-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #58
Mike
Working the Gusset

Started

These should take quite a while. Having to add at least 4" to the leg is going to bore me.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	newsock.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	47757  

YouTube channel
Old 04-04-2008, 03:16 AM   #59
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Oooh Mike! I'm so envious of your finished socks! They look terrific! I've completely abandoned ship on mine for now. I've actually put them to 'sleep' on my projects page on Ravelry! I completely understand what you mean by the boring 4" of leg. The leg is exactly where I am right now as they're sleeping in my stash.

I was going to pick up my socks again when I saw your heels turned, but my heart went pitter patter when I had the opportunity to do a KAL for the Central Park Hoodie since I've had the yarn to make my CPH in my stash for over a month.

I've also decided to knit my cousin an afghan as a wedding present. The 35 skeins of yarn came today and I'll need to get a move on that.

And to top it all off work is crazy busy right now and I feel like I barely have time to sit down and have some down-time for myself let alone knit.

I feel like I'm literally drowning in my knitting! But sort of in a good way I guess since I'm enjoying knitting my first sweater.

I look forward to seeing your progress on the new socks!

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #60
Mike
Working the Gusset

Once you get the rythm down the speed of it isn't that bad, especially on the stockinette.
When I actually sat down and did work on the socks and only the socks (for the foot) I was knocking off rows faster than I realized.

I just mentally can't get into nothing but "14 inches of round and round" with no end in sight.

I don't think there's any way I could do socks one at a time.

That afghan sounds like it would take me years. 20 super saver skein crochet afghans take me a year easy and I find I have more tolerance for repetition in crochet than in knitting.

YouTube channel