Old 02-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
How many hours a day do you get to knit?
When my hands work, I have the time to knit two to three hours a day. How do you carve out time during your day? Those of you who work, have young families, and manage to knit a lot are just amazing.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
About 2-3 unless we're doing marathon catch-up-on-tv-shows- we-missed-on-dvd-watching, then it's a few more. Weekends, it's more like 5 hours. I work, but don't have younguns anymore.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
I have a 2.5yr old so I can knit while she sits and plays with her toys or reads her books. She still does quiet time in the afternoons for a few hours. I say I average 3-4 hrs a day. I can't handle knitting for long periods of time or if I do knit for a long period I tend to switch my projects around.
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I've recently started taking my showers at night instead of in the morning, and I like to let my hair dry for a bit before I go to bed. For the last couple of weeks I've taken to knitting or scrapbooking during that hour.

Before that, I used to knit in the car when I was waiting for DH. If we happened to be out and about during the kids' naptime, if they were sleeping in the car, then I could knit while DH would run into the store for whatever it was we were there to get. When the baby was younger, I spent a lot of time knitting in the car, but now that she is older, not so much.

Other than that, all of my knitting is in public while waiting for one thing or another. I just have too many other things to do at home, including an afghan that I am crocheting but is too big to take around with me.

I've read some posts where people are self-conscious about knitting where other people could watch them, but between reading lots of Agatha Christie/Miss Marple stories when I was a kid and the crocheting I used to do whenever I was at some get-together with the in-laws, it doesn't bother me to have people watch what I'm doing, even when I frog!

To answer the original question , about an hour a day.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Darcia
1st Leg of the Journey

If I could, I would knitt all day long. But I knit about 1-2hours each evening while my dh watches his hockey.
Darcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
figaro
Working the Gusset

I try to knit at night after the kids have gone to bed and depending on when I go to bed, maybe 1-3 hours a night. That is not uninteruppted knitting though, getting up to herd the kids back into bed or convincing the 2 yo that she needs to go to sleep tends to cut back on my time. I do get to knit more on the weekends unless we go somewhere, I get dizzy knitting in the car. I do knit waiting for the kids to go to/get out of school, that is about 12-20 each morning and afternoon.

I guess I knit more than I thought! I just wish I knit faster and made less mistakes and had more fo's !

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Robinknits
1st Leg of the Journey

I knit at least 1-2 hours a day while watching tv in the evening. I homeschool my kids so I sometimes get some knitting in while watching them do their school work. Twice a week they have band and I get in a couple of hours while waiting for them (One is in beginning and one in advanced band, so we are there for a while.) I'm amazed by friends (who knit) who say they don't have time to knit. You find time for the things you love to do!

Robinmb on Ravelry
Robinknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
erikalee
Ribbing the Cuff

Hmm, I'm not sure really. I knit off and on all day, I guess. Sitting in front of the TV, no matter what time it is, or what's on, I'm knitting. And I take my knitting with me everywhere if it's a small enough project (I've really only done small ones so far).

I do have 2 young kids, one 7yo daughter and one 3yo son. They occupy themselves and each other a lot, though.

I guess if you break it down, it's anywhere from 0-5 hours a day.
FO: 2 stockinette stitch scarves with fringe; 1 pair of legwarmers; 4 2-inch wide bracelets seamed with 3-needle bo; 1 flower-shaped dishcloth using DPNs!!; a green dishcloth for ME; From the 2008 Knitting Calendar: Jan 21 "Halfa", Jan 3 "Cabled Baby Hat"!!

OTN: "The Ugly Scarf"; another flower dishcloth; more dishcloths for myself;

In Line: "The Ugly Poncho"

erikalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
scout52
Working the Gusset

It depends on what time I get home from work. i eat dinner. play a little with my cats and then i start knitting while watching tv and talking to my bf until i go to bed. so if i get home between 2-4 hrs a day. on the weekends i get to knit more if we aren't doing anything.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
Median knitting time 0.5 hrs/day. Some days it's 0 hrs and others 1-2 hrs. It just depends.

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote