Old 02-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Vixalin
Casting On

Machine yarns for Hand Knitting???
I have seen several advertisements for machine yarns saying fine/fingering and worsted weights. It has lead me to wonder if they can in fact be used as hand knitting yarns. Thing is that in men's any way I don't ever recall of seeing a pattern for fingering yarn.
Any thoughts here?
ty Vixalin
Vixalin is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
candicane
Working the Gusset

A bit confused as to what you are asking. Do you want a pattern for a men's sweater in fingering weight yarn? If so, you could do a top-down raglan in any gauge at any size, just need to do a little math.

Or, are you looking for superwash wool in worsted weight? This also exists and there are many patterns for worsted weight.

Usually machine knitting yarns are oiled and need serious washing. There is some info on colourmart.com about washing machine knitting yarns to be used for hand knitting.

Hope I have helped.

Candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I bought locally some worsted weight remainders from a mill and used it to knit socks for hubby for work socks. Candice mentioned the only site I've checked out online and they do talk about working with the mill ends.