Old 02-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
photolady

Sodium Woes
Is the greed for money, in the food industry, a factor in high blood pressure in Americans?
I think so.
Years and years of eating high sodium content is bad for your body.

So MUCH food has high
sodium content. Makes me think that the food industry is trying to kill us all. High sodium content is
bad for you. That doesn't occur naturally. So, I'm back to cooking raw foods, foods in their
natural state, and not adding anything.

Try to keep your sodium intake down to 2,300 milligrams a day, and see how hard that can
get to be. Read labels! Count it all up. For a huge shocker, look at the sodium content on
frozen tv dinners.
From another website:
Sodium content is another concern. Frozen meals that aren’t identified as reduced-sodium or heart-healthy often contain from 700 to 1,800 milligrams (mg) of sodium. That makes it challenging for people to stay below the daily maximum of 2,300 mg recommended for the general population.

Such levels make it almost impossible for people who are more “salt sensitive” (those with high blood pressure, African-Americans and middle-aged and older adults) to stay below their recommended limit of 1,500 mg per day.

If you know of any frozen tv dinners LOW in sodium, TELL ME!!!

I MUST monitor my sodium intake, or I'm in trouble.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Darcia
1st Leg of the Journey

I am starting to think the only way you can control the amount of salt in your food is prepare and freeze dinners for yourself.
Darcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I too have sodium concerns. The sodium causes water retention and I am on a diuretic for the ears. I have to make my own food and freeze it. Anything pre-made is subject to large doses of sodium. Sorry I can't be of more help to you!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
sinistral_needler
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to sinistral_needler
Processed foods are the enemy! Which means that the best food for you to eat is probably home-made. *Almost* anything that comes in a box or a can should be considered BAD and should be subsequently avoided.

When I think of all the chemicals the boxed dinners have, it scares me.

"Do whatever {Jesus} tells you to." ~ John 2:5
OTN: Nashua simple ribbed scarf, Seeded Cable Cardigan for Mom, washcloths, Rainy Day Scarf
OTH: baby bobble afghan, shells afghan
sinistral_needler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Dustina will tell you that one of the biggest things I will rail against in the world is sodium added to my food. I don't have issues that preclude me from injesting sodium but I reeeeeeeally hate that it is added to just about everything we consume.

Just about anything in the frozen food aisle (pre-prepared food) is going to be loaded down with sodium. The plain frozen vegetables are usually okay though so a good way to get away from the canned veggies that are swimming in salt water. The thing to really look at, as far as I am concerned though, is your meat. You wouldn't think you should have to check your label for ingredients but you really do. There shouldn't be anything on the ingredients label besides "meat." However, a lot of meats have some sort of salt laden "broth" added to make it juicier, or whatever. The meat, of course, is going to have sodium in it naturally... you need to look at the label to see if it is added or not.

It is amazing what food really tastes like when the extra added cwap is taken out of it!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
cristeen
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by sinistral_needler View Post
Processed foods are the enemy! Which means that the best food for you to eat is probably home-made. *Almost* anything that comes in a box or a can should be considered BAD and should be subsequently avoided.
Yup!

I cook everything from scratch here. Because it's not just sodium, it's MSG, HFCS, white flour, aspartame, corn starch, modified food starch, hydrogenated oils, etc... none of those things were ever intended to be food. They cannot be found in nature, they have to be manufactured.
cristeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by photolady View Post
If you know of any frozen tv dinners LOW in sodium, TELL ME!!!

I MUST monitor my sodium intake, or I'm in trouble.
There is no way to eat a diet which contains processed foods and keep it low sodium. Canned, boex or frozen all processed foods are high in sodium

If you need to monitor your sodium intake STAY AWAY FROM TV dinner!
As already stated, prepare your food fresh.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
I eat very few processed foods in part because of the sodium. I have high blood pressure and for awhile I kept my sodium down to about 1000 mg a day. It was hard, but I did find out that in my case it didn't affect my BP. I am not as militant about it now, but I still don't eat many processed foods or frozen dinners. DH doesn't add salt to anything he cooks so that helps some, too.

I am planning on getting a slow cooker and making my own frozen meals for those nights when you want something fast.

ETA: There are quite a few low sodium/salt free products now so it's worth a try to see if you can stand them if you must eat processed foods. Most are just fine, but the bread... blech! Not worth it!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by brendajos View Post
Dustina will tell you that one of the biggest things I will rail against in the world is sodium added to my food. I don't have issues that preclude me from injesting sodium but I reeeeeeeally hate that it is added to just about everything we consume.
Yes, I can and she has me thinking about what I fix/buy for my family.

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
photolady (02-10-2008)
Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Jan, try upping your potassium intake for your BP. Sodium and potassium work together to regulate body fluids (including BP) and you may be deficient in pot., not an excess of sodium.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote