Old 02-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
gatorjade
1st Leg of the Journey

Defend the Yarn Harlot!
Reading Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's blog entries is something I always excitely look forward to. She's brilliant and hilarious!

When I read her last two entries (yesterday's and today's), I was shocked to see that a few people had commented very negatively and immaturely on her Chablis socks (a very tedious pattern that took her a long time to finish). Can you believe the audacity of some people?

I commend her for addressing the negative comments so maturely. I would have had a tough time handling it the way she did! The Yarn Harlot deserves a round of applause for her hard work and willingness to share it publicly with other knitters!

Has anyone else read these entries?

OTN: Drawstring Chemise (IK, Spring '08 Issue)
gatorjade is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

I totally agree with you. She handled it with such class. What an eloquent lady.
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
- Albert Einstein
kayeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
kristinw
Turning the Heel

I did read. I didn't see the comments but the way she was talking about it, someone flat out said they were ugly. In case anyone didn't read it, she said it was like coming into someone's house and telling them their couch was ugly. Of course, the way she put it was much more eloquent. I totally heart her.

My knitting blog: The Knit of It

I'm kristin on
kristinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I enjoy her writing. I think she is witty and informative. However, having said that, I contacted her on Ravelry and, being that we live in the same town, perhaps ten minutes apart, I asked her if she would kindly autograph my copy of her book. I had just purchased it. She never bothered to respond to my post at all! She didn't send a message saying she was too busy. She just ignored me totally. I still enjoy reading her blog, but I was dissappointed that she would not acknowledge a devoted fan.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
I posted a comment today. I'm always amazed at the things people say. I shouldn't be, but I try to find the best in everyone and this kind of thing is just sad.

The.Knitter...do you have any idea how often she probably gets that request or any request for that matter? From what I've read she is often overwhelmed. If you are that close maybe you can go to the knit night she goes to and I'm sure she would do it there. She really does seem like a nice person.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (02-07-2008)
Old 02-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I don't believe she advertises where she goes for knit night. I'd love to find a knit night in this city! I have no idea where she goes, and once rejected, was not about to try and find out.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
kristinw
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
I enjoy her writing. I think she is witty and informative. However, having said that, I contacted her on Ravelry and, being that we live in the same town, perhaps ten minutes apart, I asked her if she would kindly autograph my copy of her book. I had just purchased it. She never bothered to respond to my post at all! She didn't send a message saying she was too busy. She just ignored me totally. I still enjoy reading her blog, but I was dissappointed that she would not acknowledge a devoted fan.
I'm pretty sure she has her PMs set to off. I know they made it so people could turn it off partly because of the "famous" knitters getting hundreds of them. You figure they have over 70,000 members at this point. Could you imagine being her and getting a PM every time some one friended you? I'm sure she wasn't just being rude.

My knitting blog: The Knit of It

I'm kristin on
kristinw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kristinw For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (02-07-2008)
Old 02-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
I don't believe she advertises where she goes for knit night. I'd love to find a knit night in this city! I have no idea where she goes, and once rejected, was not about to try and find out.
Well, I guess I don't see it as a rejection. Anyhoo..she says in her blog that she goes to Lettuce Knit. She said she was there last night so I guess she goes on Wed.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (02-07-2008)
Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by kayeknit View Post
I totally agree with you. She handled it with such class. What an eloquent lady.
I agree!
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
losnana
Working the Gusset

In Knits End, which I listen to all the time in the car, she says that one should always try to find something positive to say about another's knitting, even if only"MY, that looks like a lot of work." Or "What a personal work of art" or something similar to that. My Nana always taught me that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.!