Old 02-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Wannabe_Pro
Casting On

casting on in middle of project?
There's 2 things that confuse me, first of all, I've just finished the thumb gusset, and now it's saying I must knit right through it... don't I cast some stitches on in order to make a hole for the thumb? and secondly, how can I knit 12 - 24 stitches... either number is not to the end of the mitten, it would stop before reaching the end

K12 sts; remove markers and place the 9 sts on stitch holder or strand of yarn - check; k12 24 sts. Cont in St st until piece measures approx 5 inches from beg ??. End on a WS row, placing a marker between two center sts

any help or suggestions?
this is my first mitten
Wannabe_Pro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

The instructions mean to knit the remaining 12 stitches of your mitten and you will have worked 24 stitches total minus the 9 stitches for the thumb.

When you go onto the next round or row you will by pass those 9 stitches you have on the holder forming the hole for the mitten wearer's thumb.
Katrina

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Wannabe_Pro
Casting On

So do I cast on an addition 9 stitches to get around to make a hole for the thumb?
Wannabe_Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

No, you do not need to cast on an additional nine stitches. Depending on your pattern you should either complete the knitting of the body of the mitten (if you are knitting in the round you will simply tug a little bit when skipping over the thumb stitches) or if you are knitting the mittens flat the pattern will either instruct you to knit and sew up the thumb and then complete the two sides of the mitten separately or vice versa.

The Gifted Mittens by Kate Gilbert have an excellent picture of what a flat mitten might look like while working on the thumb and letting the palm/hand portions of the mittens hang out.
Katrina

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote