Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
mwhite
Instepping Out

Long Crochet Hooks
My mother used to crochet all the time. She gave me some old tools and I wonder what the long crochet hooks are used for. Hairpin Lace? I have a couple of them and really have no use for them in my knitting, I don't think and will gladly share them with someone who can use them. Please let me know and thanks in advance. Mary
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
My mother used to crochet all the time. She gave me some old tools and I wonder what the long crochet hooks are used for. Hairpin Lace? I have a couple of them and really have no use for them in my knitting, I don't think and will gladly share them with someone who can use them. Please let me know and thanks in advance. Mary
They are probably used for "Afghan Stitch" crochet...Look up "Afghan Stitch" and you'll see why the needle is soo long..

Last edited by cheley : 02-12-2008 at 11:37 AM.
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
mwhite (02-12-2008)
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Stonington
Mary
I learned how to crochet using a long hook - they are so much more comfortable to use (for me). It is very hard to use a regular hook after using a long one. I had one size lol.. used it for everything because at the time I could not find any in stores. Your Mum is so sweet to share her tools with you.
anne
On the Hook:

Shawl
Reading:
"Echo in Bone" by Dianna Gabaldon
Listening in the Car:
"Though Not Dead: Kate Shugak Series Book 18" byDana Stabenow
Stonington is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonington For This Useful Post:
mwhite (02-12-2008)
Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
They are probably used for "Afghan Stitch" crochet...Look up "Afghan Stich" and you'll see why the needle is soo long..

I'll check this out... I love to make afghans, may have to just keep them. She taught me how to crochet so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
cheley
Working the Gusset

I'll check this out... I love to make afghans, may have to just keep them. She taught me how to crochet so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the info!
That's the name of the stitch "Afghan" and I am thinking "tunisian stitch" too....do the needles have a stopper on the end? If they do, that's what the needle is used for, you carry on the stitches across the needles (kinda like knitting)therefore they (the needles is longer).But google "afghan or tunisian stitch" and see whatcha get...It is a "nice and fun" way to needlecraft..
mwhite (02-12-2008)
Old 02-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
That's the name of the stitch "Afghan" and I am thinking "tunisian stitch" too....do the needles have a stopper on the end? If they do, that's what the needle is used for, you carry on the stitches across the needles (kinda like knitting)therefore they (the needles is longer).But google "afghan or tunisian stitch" and see whatcha get...It is a "nice and fun" way to needlecraft..
Now, that's kinda neat....looks like sort of a cross between knit and weaving when you get done. I also have a wooden, double ended crochet hook as well. One end is worn and doesn't have the hook anymore but I imagine it was used for the same purpose? The aluminum single end hooks do not have stoppers, or maybe they do, they have a cap at one end like a knitting needle. I'll have to try this, the tutorials on the "Stitchdiva" site are good. Thanks, again, Cheley!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
cheley
Working the Gusset

Now, that's kinda neat....looks like sort of a cross between knit and weaving when you get done. I also have a wooden, double ended crochet hook as well. One end is worn and doesn't have the hook anymore but I imagine it was used for the same purpose? The aluminum single end hooks do not have stoppers, or maybe they do, they have a cap at one end like a knitting needle. I'll have to try this, the tutorials on the "Stitchdiva" site are good. Thanks, again, Cheley!
Glad I could help!!! Check this site out:
http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com...an_crochet.php
have fun!!
mwhite (02-12-2008)
Old 02-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
My mom used to crochet all the time and I remember the long hooks in her bag o'tools. I don't ever recall her using the hook though.
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote