Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
photolady

Scary Gator
Here's something we have in Florida, lurking in ponds and marshes:

I am always astounded by 3 things visitors to Florida seem to do every year:
1. swim where a gator is nearby, and VISIBLE
2. get sunburned
(we have sunblock here with a factor of like, a million. Actually, it's about a 50 spf)
3. swim in the ocean, with a cut, or while having their period.
Sharks are attracted to that, ya know.
Inevitably, a few tourists get bitten by sharks every summer.
I don't venture into the ocean deeper than my knees, and, only if I can see what's around me.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I'm from NY and I can't agree with you more. My friends and family get a kick out of me and how I'm always saying "That's not a way I'm ever going to die" to the stupid human tricks you hear all the time. Everything you mentioned - not a way I'm going to die.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Banrion
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by photolady View Post
Here's something we have in Florida, lurking in ponds and marshes:

I am always astounded by 3 things visitors to Florida seem to do every year:
1. swim where a gator is nearby, and VISIBLE
2. get sunburned
(we have sunblock here with a factor of like, a million. Actually, it's about a 50 spf)

3. swim in the ocean, with a cut, or while having their period.
Sharks are attracted to that, ya know.
Inevitably, a few tourists get bitten by sharks every summer.
I don't venture into the ocean deeper than my knees, and, only if I can see what's around me.
In defense of the eternally pale, I am sure that if I ever set foot in Florida I would have a sunburn. I wear SPF 75!! sunscreen up here if I am planning on being outside for more than 10 minutes,and I still have to reapply that every 90 mins to prevent burns.
Banrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
scout52
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Banrion View Post
In defense of the eternally pale, I am sure that if I ever set foot in Florida I would have a sunburn. I wear SPF 75!! sunscreen up here if I am planning on being outside for more than 10 minutes,and I still have to reapply that every 90 mins to prevent burns.
My poor boyfriend is the same way until he gets his first tan at least. no matter how much I slather him with the highest SPF, on the hour, every hour. and I get the sport kind, so he doesn't sweat it off or it won't come of in the water, he still burns. but at least he only burns the first time out in the sun. after that burn he gets reaaaaally dark (which makes his green eyes look like light bulbs) and then he no longer burns if he keeps sunblock on and keeps some tan going. but if he doesn't keep going out in the sun and allows himself to get all pale again then he burns again no matter how diligent we are with the sunblock.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Neutrogena makes a 70 sunscreen, it's nice, not greasy and unscented. I've had skin cancer since 1992 so I can't get burned. This stuff is great.
I'll add one more thing to the list: People who walk their dogs near a body of fresh water here. Duh, gators just think you are offering them an appetizer. We had some moron get his dog eaten today here. His comment was "well I saw the gator sunning itself on the bank and on the asphalt nearby, I walk my dog here every day." Anyway, now the gator gets to be someone's new shoes because of that idiot. The stupidity of some human beings never ceases to amaze me.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
photolady

Originally Posted by Sunshine's Mom View Post
I'm from NY and I can't agree with you more. My friends and family get a kick out of me and how I'm always saying "That's not a way I'm ever going to die" to the stupid human tricks you hear all the time. Everything you mentioned - not a way I'm going to die.
You sound like a smart person. Not like some of these bubbas we have around here.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
photolady

Originally Posted by stitchwitch View Post
Neutrogena makes a 70 sunscreen, it's nice, not greasy and unscented. I've had skin cancer since 1992 so I can't get burned. This stuff is great.
I'll add one more thing to the list: People who walk their dogs near a body of fresh water here. Duh, gators just think you are offering them an appetizer. We had some moron get his dog eaten today here. His comment was "well I saw the gator sunning itself on the bank and on the asphalt nearby, I walk my dog here every day." Anyway, now the gator gets to be someone's new shoes because of that idiot. The stupidity of some human beings never ceases to amaze me.
Sorry about your skin cancer. My dad, and now my older brother, get those little "things", that have to be cut out.
You know, I was JUST thinking about how people let little Fido run around near the pond, where gators could be.
I don't much care about whether a gator is killed or not, they ARE brainless eating machines, when hungry, but, yeah, it makes me angry when an animal is killed because of a careless human.
I get angry when a person just starts hacking away at a snake, no matter if it's poisionous or not. They cut up black racers, green snakes, whatever. Ridiculous.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
photolady

I've lived in Florida almost all my life, was born here.
I never would sit for an hour in the sun, during the summer.
Good grief! The sun here is so much hotter, and intense.
The key is to be in the sun for short periods of time. Watch the weathermen, or look at the sunburn time they mention: sometimes it takes only 10 minutes in the sun to be burned.
On those days, I try to not be outside at all.
The beach can wait.

Originally Posted by scout52 View Post
My poor boyfriend is the same way until he gets his first tan at least. no matter how much I slather him with the highest SPF, on the hour, every hour. and I get the sport kind, so he doesn't sweat it off or it won't come of in the water, he still burns. but at least he only burns the first time out in the sun. after that burn he gets reaaaaally dark (which makes his green eyes look like light bulbs) and then he no longer burns if he keeps sunblock on and keeps some tan going. but if he doesn't keep going out in the sun and allows himself to get all pale again then he burns again no matter how diligent we are with the sunblock.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
photolady

Originally Posted by Banrion View Post
In defense of the eternally pale, I am sure that if I ever set foot in Florida I would have a sunburn.
If you come to Florida in the summertime, which is from April to September, worst months being June, July, and August, only go out for 15 minutes at the most.
AT THE MOST.
Then, you won't burn.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
scout52
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by photolady View Post
I've lived in Florida almost all my life, was born here.
I never would sit for an hour in the sun, during the summer.
Good grief! The sun here is so much hotter, and intense.
The key is to be in the sun for short periods of time. Watch the weathermen, or look at the sunburn time they mention: sometimes it takes only 10 minutes in the sun to be burned.
On those days, I try to not be outside at all.
The beach can wait.
He gets sunburned when we snowboard (on his face), he'll get sunburned when we bike ride, or go rollerblading, or go hiking. this is not like we are sunbathing. It just him being OUTSIDE. We like to exercise outside when we get the chance. And yes we do not go when the sun is the hottest. That just his skin type. We are always doing an activity when he has gotten burned. we have actually never been to the beach when he has been burned. We won't go to the beach if he is pale. why ask for a burn?
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote