Old 02-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
baby_kittles
Casting On

PLEASE HELP!!!
hello all knitters,

ok, so i have done a little knitting but that was a long time ago. i want to get back into it so i decided to search for a project to do...my problem is that i don't want to use the same yarn that is recommended in the knitting pattern...i've looked at several others but the stitches never match!!! please help!!!

recommended: 18 sts + 24 r = 4 in. (10cm) worsted weight

if say i use a 18st + 26 r = 4 in. (10cm) worsted weight

what kind of difference would you say it makes? same needle...

utterly grateful,
baby_kittles

ps. I LOVE THIS FORUM! ALL KNITTERS ROCK!!!
baby_kittles is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
miss_molly
1st Leg of the Journey

I'd say that having the 18sts correct using the same needles is the important part. It isn't as crucial to have the correct row count as the tension states, as most patterns tell you to knit for a certain number of inches, not a certain number of rows.
miss_molly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miss_molly For This Useful Post:
baby_kittles (02-15-2008)
Old 02-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

it would meen that an item you are kntting would potentially have more length to it, infact it would have another 2 rows per 4 inches worth of length to it.

it is not a huge amount but should be taken into consideration, as the effect of this can vary depending on what you are knitting.

for example a pattern may call for some sort of shaping after 48 rows (or 8 inches using the recomended yarn), if you did it in the different yarn, you would have to start the shaping after 52 rows to make sure it was still hapenig in the same place length wise (8 inches).
this is important with things like sweaters and garments which need to fit, but may also have a bearing on things like cable or lace patterns, as the spread of the pattern may be altered. in this case i would suggest doing a test swatch of the chart to see how it looks.
things like hats or less fitted hings, or things which are given in measurement alone would not be affected as much.

hope that makes some sense.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tarrentella For This Useful Post:
baby_kittles (02-15-2008)
Old 02-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Most patterns have you knit to a particular length, rather than so many rows. If a pattern does say to knit 30 rows, you'd need to figure that out in the pattern gauge (5" in this case) and knit for 5" in your gauge. If it's just a matter of a few rows, it won't matter a lot.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote