Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran/Luxury Tweed
The labels on the Donegal Aran Tweed and Donegal Luxury Tweed yarns say Machine Wash/Dry Flat.

When I did a search, some sites are saying that although the label says machine wash it is actually hand wash.

I've been thinking about buying a ball of it and trying it out, but thought I'd see if anyone's had previous experience with either of these yarns. Has anyone machine washed a swatch or finished project made from either of these yarns?

Thanks!
Susan
lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi Lactosefree!

If you wash the knitted item in a machine, the agitation can cause it to felt, or at the least, it will pill due to the softness of it!

Ack!

No, the words "machine wash" must be a typo. I just got back from my LYS, and saw DB Donegal Luxury Tweed on display, and her labels didn't even have the yardage written! This yarn must have been a RUSH to get out the door!

You will definitely need to hand wash in cold (or cool) water using a fine sweater wash, squeeze out excess water, press pieces (or seamed sweater) between thick terry towels that have no fabric softener added, then lay the sweater or knitted item flat to dry.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
lactosefree (02-16-2008)
Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Art Lady,

Thanks for the info! I've been doing some searches online and unfortunately it doesn't seem to be getting the best reviews in terms of sweater wearability.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanks for the update about this yarn!

I ordered 20 skeins of it yesterday, from WEBS. I want to make a Central Park Hoodie (for me) using color 09/denim.

Where did you read the review? Knitters Forum?

I read up on the yarn over at Ravelry...a gal had made herself some sweaters using it...and she said she loved it.

Perhaps she hasn't had time to assess the sweater over several months.

I'll bet the problem comes with some pilling. Soft yarns will pill for a while. I have a Malabrigo bed jacket (I'm wearing it right now as a matter of fact) and I am having to pick off pills. It's annoying, but that is the price ya pay for super softness!

I'd still like to read the reviews regarding the DB Donegal Luxury Tweed if you can remember where the info is located!

Thanks again!

Artlady at Rav
Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You might be able to machine wash in that you can put it into the machine and just let it sit for several minutes, spin dry, and rinse the same way - no agitation.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
lactosefree (02-18-2008)
Old 02-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Where did you read the review? Knitters Forum?

I'd still like to read the reviews regarding the DB Donegal Luxury Tweed if you can remember where the info is located!
Hi Art Lady!

You know, now that you said that I re-did my search and I think I made a mistake!

I thought that the Debbie Bliss Aran Tweed was the same as the Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed. All the reviews that I read were about the regular 'ol Aran Tweed - not the Donegal tweed.

I hope you love your 20 skeins of Luxury Tweed! You'll have to let me know how it wears after you make your CPH.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post

You will definitely need to hand wash in cold (or cool) water using a fine sweater wash, squeeze out excess water, press pieces (or seamed sweater) between thick terry towels that have no fabric softener added, then lay the sweater or knitted item flat to dry.
Why no fabric softener? Do fabric sheets count as fabric softener?

knit2btied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Wooly type yarns are really a type of hair. Some people say to wash with mild shampoo and hair conditioner.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Oh, I forget to specifically mention the rinse. Yes, I also rinse my knitted garments.

I use UNICORN FIBER WASH & RINSE and believe me, it is the nicest product I have ever used on my fine knits. It is especially designed for knits that are made from animal sources, like wool, alpaca, cashmere, quviut, angora, etc. and the blends thereof. I also use it on my cotton knits. And, a little goes a lonnnng ways. I bought the 16 oz bottles, and it delivered very quickly.

It is soooo mild, yet thorough. I found their "ad" in the "Wild Fibers" magazine published by Linda Cortwright.

Here is a copy/paste from their website:

Unicorn Fibre Wash is designed to optimize cleaning
while protecting the fibre cuticle.

Restores luster and softness to cashmere, alpaca, bison,qiviut, merino wool, mohair, cotton, and other natural fibres.

Removes all contaminants and embedded dirt in raw fibre yet is gentle enough to pamper everyday wear and finest delicate knitwear.

Eliminates odors and is non-yellowing.

Fibre-shielding formula reduces the “itch factor.”

Contains no phosphates, enzymes, fillers, bleaching or stripping agents.

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
lactosefree (02-18-2008)
Old 02-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I think, in addition to Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed, there is also a Debbie Bliss Donegal Tweed (without the "Luxury" which adds angora or something)!

Thanks for the updates! I am not so worried about my yarn now!
Because it is on the way! I am so excited about it!

I feel rather badly about this: I saw it (and fell in love with it) at my LYS. Didn't buy it cuz I had to go home and rummage my patterns first. In the meantime, I just had to see how much WEBS (www.yarn.com) was charging.

Wouldn't ya know it? Whereas my LYS was charging $9.50 per skein, WEBS was charging $6.71 per skein after that 25% discount you get for ordering over a certain dollar amount.

I feel bad...guilty...but it was such a HUGE difference for the 20 skeins!
Sixty five dollars difference!

NOTE: I did but all of my Louisa Harding "Grace" for BORGHILD Viking Knits Cardigan and matching cami/tank from my LYS. Twenty five skeins later...and at $10.95 per skein, you do the math. I can't bear to!

I felt guilt that day, too! What am I gonna do with myself??

Artlady at Rav