Old 02-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
booskibabe
Knitting the Flap

LYS Etiquette
I just discovered that I have a LYS near my dentist's office. I plan on stopping at this LYS after my appointment with the dentist this week, but I have a question.
Is it ok or polite to sit and knit in a LYS without buying anything or using their yarn? I have no yarn budget right now so I won't be able to buy anything, but if there's a nice place to knit I'd like to work on my current WIP. Would that be rude? I just don't want to offend anyone, and I have extrememely limited experience with LYS. (After 2+ years knitting, finally went to my first LYS yesterday. Sad, I know.)
TIA

Gauge - challenged knitter
Knitting is my therapy
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I'm not sure of the correct answer but my gut instinct would be that they are in business to make money. Perhaps you should visit the place, get to know the people there, and see how it goes.

I don't think I would just walk in for the first time, not buy anything, and just sit down to start knitting. But that's just my opinion.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
booskibabe (02-17-2008)
Old 02-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
boo1
Turning the Heel

Hmm. Well, it really depends on the LYS as to how >>>
comfortable you would be. I'm pretty sure that the one I go to wouldn't mind because she would probably assume that you will buy at some point and that you might talk about the store/word of mouth..

Why don't you call and speak to the owner? I would ask if they have a Stitch & Bitch or coffee night and take it from there-you might feel more comfortable that way. I know at the SnB I went to last, most everyone brought their own stuff. Some bought, some didn't, and no one seemed to care.

Good luck! I know I love to go sit at mine and knit. Yes, I do drop $ in there, but sometimes I just knit.

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boo1 For This Useful Post:
booskibabe (02-17-2008)
Old 02-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
I don't think you would offend anyone and since they are in business to make money it's in their best interests to make you feel welcome because you might buy something.

I can't afford many of the yarns in my LYS, but by making me feel welcome I have bought some yarns there. Most LYS do have less expensive yarns as well like Encore. I try to buy a few things occasionally and it makes me feel more comfortable sitting at the social knitting nights.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
booskibabe (02-17-2008)
Old 02-17-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
silegose
Knitting the Flap

IMO... If you are using quality yarn like what the LYS would be selling they are not going to say to much. Also, if you tell them you just found out about there store and that you would like to come in and work on some of your projects and check out their store. They would be more then happy to have you snk (sit n knit) helps make the store look busy for other customers.
silegose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silegose For This Useful Post:
booskibabe (02-17-2008)
Old 02-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

The experience with mine is that a couple of times a week, she has open knitting, in other words, no charge, it isn't a class, just an unofficial stitch 'n' bitch session. To think that every single person would buy something every single time would be nuts!-- but I would guess that every single person has purchased something from her at some point or another, and most of us take classes occasionally. But some don't, and as boo1 said, no one seems to care. As the others have said, it makes the store look busy and popular and you'll probably talk about the store to other people, and maybe even occasionally spend some money there. And you're not costing the shop a single dime by sitting there, knitting! So the owner would be crazy to give you a hard time, and I would go and just knit and introduce yourself and enjoy! If it eases your conscience, then maybe stop at a bakery first and bring some cookies-- believe me, no one is going to resent you being there for that .
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
booskibabe (02-17-2008)
Old 02-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
booskibabe
Knitting the Flap

Thanks so much for your help!

Silegose - Unfortunately I'm not using "quality yarn", just Bernat Softee Chunky. As long as the ball band is off who will know, right?

After hearing your replies, I think I will go and check it out and maybe snk. It's not like I would never buy something from there, just not right now. LYS fascinate me, I love the ambience of all that yarn. And I will definately ask if they have knitting nights.
Thanks again for your help.

Gauge - challenged knitter
Knitting is my therapy
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
bambi
Working the Gusset

Do check it out! I stopped in a LYS also after a dentist appt to ask a question and they were so lovely and welcoming! The store owner answered my question and invited me to sit and knit and go get lunch and come back! Loved that!

I have wanted so badly to go back for their knit in sessions but I don't have lots of time right now. I am planning on going back to buy some needles. Their yarn selection looked a bit pricey for me for now, especially since I am still learning.

The next "mommy's day out" I will head there.

Bambi
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 AM   #9
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
You should go. Great way to meet some other knitters, and who knows, they may have some less pricey yarn you'll want to use at a later date.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:17 AM   #10
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I would go to check it out but wouldn't go indefinately without buying something. I am sure the owner doesn't expect you to make a purchase every time but I do think it would be inappropriate to knit there long term without becoming a customer.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote