Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
durabledora
Casting On

Gauge not coming out right!
Hi all,

I'm starting the Skully sweater from Stitch 'N Bitch, and I'm having gauge problems. I've solved the rowing out issue (I just need to tug on my purl stitches), but now my gauge is all funky! It's supposed to be 13 st and 20 rows= 4 inches stockinette on 10.5 needles.

I knit up another swatch on #11 needles (after frogging a good 6 inches because I mismeasured my gauge the first time) and it's 15st and 20 rows= 4 inches. Is there such a thing as a skinny knitter? It seems like my row gauge is just fine, but the stitch gauge isn't. I don't like the way the yarn looks on #13 needles, so going up one more size isn't really an option. (I'm using Brown Sheep Co. Lamb's Pride Bulky) Can you guys help me figure out how to make that gauge work? All I need is a way to make it 22" across and then I'll just knit till it says to stop. Are there any decrease changes I'll have to make for the armholes as well? I'm sure once I get to the sleeves you'll be hearing about this again.... but for now I'll go with how to make the darn thing fit!

Thanks!

Dorothy in Omaha
durabledora is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
If you're getting 15 stitches per 4 inches, that's about 3.85 stitches per inch. To get 22 inches across, you should cast on 85 stitches.

If there is a size that has you cast on 85, follow the pattern for that. Otherwise, just work with the 85 for now.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
durabledora
Casting On

There's no pattern for 85 stitches. The XL calls for CO 81, and I'm a medium. I've read on Craftster that this sweater actually ends up being really baggy... and I like it a little more fitted. Maybe I should just knit a little bit, see what the measurement is and do the math from there? Or knit for the one size larger (although that may cause problems with the yarn supply.... I only bought 6 skeins of yarn and the next size up calls for 7)? Ugh... who would have thought math would actually be useful one day???
Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Try using the pattern for the XL, but work the length for the medium. You might be able to come out with enough yarn.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
durabledora
Casting On

Ok. If it comes down to it, I can always delete the skulls and make them stripes instead. That would make me sad, though. :( I really like the skulls.

Thanks for the help! As always, you ladies are fantastic.