Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I tried to read this book because I liked The Queen's Fool, but I couldn't get past the first chapter. It was too much information - Just get to the story already!!! Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for such a book. I will watch the movie, but I still want to give the book another try since my mom loved it. Maybe I'll take her to the movie....
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
I haven't read the book. Is it based off true history, or is it 100% fictional? Does anyone know??

I love Scarlet Johanssen. Did you see her in "The Girl with The Pearl Earring"? I watch it over and over. Just because of her.

I will go see this new movie, "The Other Boleyn Girl".

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
campbellmom549
Knitting the Flap

I loved The Other Boleyn Girl! Such a fabulous book. I'm really excited to see the movie. ArtLady, PG does take some liberties with the story (after all, not everything is historically documented), but all the major points and 100% historical from what I could find out when I looked into it. And Lindsey, I LOVED Elizabeth, too!

OTN: Sheldon the Turtle, Mom's Cashmere Gloves, Silver Bells Scarf, Globe Trotter Socks

FO Gallery
Mommy Moments
Photography by Liz

campbellmom549
campbellmom549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
CTbarb
Ribbing the Cuff

I love the book! I love all of Philippa Gregory's books. I would like to see the movie, but I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD.
CTbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
AnnArrogance
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin View Post
Were these the Wideacre stories?? They were disturbing; I am forcing my way through the last one just to finish the series.
One of them was "The Wise Woman," and it was MESSED UP. I can't remember for the life of me what the other one was... I sold them both to Half-Price Books when I finished with it, which I NEVER do. I'm a book hoarder. But I love her Tudor books, and I think I'll definitely stick with those.

AnnArrogance

OTN: Arm-Warmers (still--major SSS!), Henry Scarf for DH, Socks for DH
March FO: Feral Fair Isles Dog Sweaters, 2 pairs of socks, Koolhaas Hat
Queue: 2 Feral Fair Isles Dog Sweaters, Ice Queen, Palindrome Hat, Sweet Dreams Throw, more socks, Fitzmaurice Sweater, Hardy Sweater
AnnArrogance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 PM   #16
AnnArrogance
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
I haven't heard of this one! Sounds interesting though, I may have to read the book (er..once I finish the 2 I have going now...lol).

On another note, however, anyone who likes the historical books should read Alison Weir's "Innocent Traitor" the story of the Lady Jane Grey. It's a wonderful book that is more fact than fiction despite it being labeled a fiction book.
Demonica, I haven't read that one yet, but I'm a big fan of Alison Weir's nonfiction historical work (I used her books on Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII as some of my secondary sources for a recent research paper). Thanks for the tip! I've always been interested in Lady Jane Grey, so I'll definitely check that out--there aren't that many sources out there about her!

AnnArrogance

Queue: 2 Feral Fair Isles Dog Sweaters, Ice Queen, Palindrome Hat, Sweet Dreams Throw, more socks, Fitzmaurice Sweater, Hardy Sweater
Old 02-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #17
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by AnnArrogance View Post
One of them was "The Wise Woman," and it was MESSED UP. I can't remember for the life of me what the other one was... I sold them both to Half-Price Books when I finished with it, which I NEVER do. I'm a book hoarder. But I love her Tudor books, and I think I'll definitely stick with those.
Hmmm, I haven't read the Wise Woman. It has been a while - Wasn't Meridon part of the Wideacre series? I didn't think those were disturbing..... just very imaginative, lol. Acutally,Wideacre / Meridon was a bit strange, what with the inbreeding, if I am recalling the correct books.

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #18
jade1994
Casting On

BEST BOOK EVER i love this book its soo good! if u like historical fiction go run to the bookstore and read it. i could not put it down. but then again i ='m like that with almost every book i read!
hehe
Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #19
AnnArrogance
Ribbing the Cuff

So I saw the movie tonight... it was kind of a disappointment. The costumes were STUNNING, but they took out pretty much everything that made the book so enjoyable for me. They also changed the plot DRASTICALLY. Really, the only similarities were the title and characters. I don't want to give any spoilers, though. It was just OK. If you haven't read the book, you'll probably enjoy it a lot more than I did, but for fans of the book who, like me, have read it several times, it's probably going to leave you feeling a little disappointed.

*Sigh.* I really wanted this movie to be great! Natalie Portman was good, Scarlett Johannsen was just OK, and Eric Bana was virtually a nonentity. I don't know-- I wouldn't say "don't see it," but just don't go in expecting the same experience you'd get from the book.

AnnArrogance

Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #20
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
I heard that when a book is developed into a movie, A LOT can change. I think they call the movie thing a "screen play"...or something like that. Whoever writes the movie, dialogue, plot, etc. is the screen writer. He/she is given all the credit for the movie.
It can just be a "shadow cast on the walk" of the original book.
The original book is just the outline by which the screen play is written. Some books never can be translated into a screenplay, and when they do, it is considered quite a feat. I think the original authors have to 'approve' or 'write off on' the screenplay. Some will, some won't; some do, some don't.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote