Old 02-19-2008, 12:33 AM   #11
marlajap
1st Leg of the Journey

Ginger - I am a newer knitter, but experienced with crochet and very adventurous in my crafting - I like a challenge. Sadly, I am, to date, a miserable failure at ladies sweaters. I've frogged one and given the yarn away, the unfinished back of another is being used as a ferret blanket (!), and I'm trying to get going on a sleeveless top for myself, but have frogged and started over at least 3 times now. I'm going to wind up having to buy an extra hank of that yarn, because the the first 20+ yards or so are getting all fuzzy and un-wound. I was trying to do a broken rib, and I just keep getting off rhythm and messing up the pattern stitch. Yeesh. I'm rather depressed about that, actually - I've knitted things for everyone around me, but nothing for myself...Sigh.
My first and only baby sweater, however, was an unqualified success. It came from the Bernat Naturals booklet, and is made from Bernat Soy. It's a sweet little pullover, pretty much all stockinette, raglan sleeves, very easy to do. It has an open neck, so no worries about it fitting over the head.

I wasn't smart enough to do the detailed notebook like Art Lady (wow - but I get interrupted so often when I'm knitting that I'd need a 2" 3-ring binder to get through the first knitted item!!), but I did measure everything meticulously, followed absolutely every instruction, and, after measuring, also matched up the front to the back before I started decreasing, to make sure I was in line. Same thing with the sleeves. It came out very well, if I do say so myself. I was so encouraged by it that I ventured back to attempting one for myself, which takes us right back to my miserable failure and requirement for another 20+ yard of yarn. In the long run, I think I will just keep looking for a pattern for DK-weight cotton in a stockinette stitch...if such an animal exists for a 46" bust!!
blogging at http://knitvspurl.wordpress.com
marlajap is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
gingergal4l8r
1st Leg of the Journey

We can be sweater supporters, I need to make a sweater to get over my fears.... lol

"Create memories worth repeating"

OTN:

Lace and Cable Afghan
Cropped Vest

gingergal4l8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Don't give up, try and think of these as learning experiences. I frogged 2 sweaters this winter that I had made in the past. They were wearable but didn't fit quite right. I now have that yarn to try again with all that I've learned since making them and I believe I will be much happier with the new ones I make.
I have a complaint with so many of the photos that show the finished sweater on a model. Not only am I not built like a model, a lot of times the photo does not show the sweater details and I end up unhappy with the shape of the sleeves (why show the model with the sleeves pushed up) or some other detail you can't see in the picture.
Best of luck on your next sweater.
gingergal4l8r (02-19-2008)
Old 02-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #14
gingergal4l8r
1st Leg of the Journey

I love that Central Park Hoodie, I think I would like to make that, have to get the pattern first.

There are so many to choose from..
But thanks for the encouraging words.

OTN:

Lace and Cable Afghan
Cropped Vest

Old 02-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Kryssie, check out the 1st sweater KAL in the KAL forum! We're all working on our first, so you'll be in good company. I've been knitting just about a year, and I'm working on a cabled sweater... verrrrry slow going.... but it's coming along. Of course I haven't done any shaping yet at all! Aside from the cables, this seems to be a pretty easy 'first sweater' pattern because it's not fitted, so there's really almost no shaping at all.

Good luck, I know you can do it! Just be patient with yourself, and make sure you have another project OTN to switch to when you get frustrated.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #16
PurlyGyrl
Working the Gusset

You can do it! I first started with a baby sweater. Not as much yarn to work with and I was able to finish it quickly and since it was a baby sweater, much quicker to frog too!

I'm PurlyGyrl on Ravelry, too!
I just don't know how to do that button thing
My favorite blue eyed guy
PurlyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #17
gingergal4l8r
1st Leg of the Journey

I have made a baby sweater, my nephew is scared now of me if I show him something I have made..... hahhaaa

OTN:

Lace and Cable Afghan
Cropped Vest

Old 02-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
ddincolo
Ribbing the Cuff

forget the chicken!
forget the chicken..........go for the duck or puppy! give it a try again.......we all make that ugly sweater once in awhile. i always ask the kid (or mom) the colors they like, style and even if the kid (my grandson)is older to come with me to pick out the yarn....they then have a sense of 'interest' in the sweater.
babies are wonderful to knit for....sweaters are easy, colors are great.....every newborn likes a white, pink, blue or yellow sweater---just keep it simple and your sweaters will be loved!

happy sweatering!
diann
ddincolo is offline   Reply With Quote