Old 02-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

Woo! Lion Brand!
Hi all!

I know they're a cheap brand, but that was what I was looking for - in the UK we have a severe shortage of cheap yarn that isn't in baby colours - I want blacks, purples, bright blues etc. I'm allergic to wool and other animal fibres so needed *good* acrylics or other types of yarn. I had previously thought of importing lion brand yarn to see what it was like, but the customs charges I've been hit with before made me think twice - they're not worth paying for cheap yarn.

Then, thanks to the wonders of Ravelry, I found there's a UK online supplier and ordered a few samples - so today I got in the mail
-one ball of chunky Jiffy in Chilli (deep red colour), which I love - I'd been looking for a soft fuzzy mohair like yarn for ages.

- one ball of chenille thick and quick, in a gorgeous deep teal colour, but it's a little hard so I think I'll use it for something homebased rather than clothing

- one ball of deep blue glitterspun - another love - it's soft and nowhere near as scratchy as the UK equivalents, and it sparkles beautifully

- one ball of black Tiffany - I actually can't get over how soft it is, I just keep touching it. Unfortunately, it's an eyelash type yarn so not something I'd really wear, but I think I'm going to make a really touchy-feely cushion cover with it...

and my favourite! - one ball of purple microspun, oh god how I love this stuff. It's soft and smooshy and has a lovely sheen and I'm so impressed.

So, there we go - not luxury yarns by any means, but I'm on disability benefits so need decent cheap yarns. I'm very happy with my purchases :-)

Fi

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

yay! i'm holding a ball of purple microspun as i type.........it doesn't look like alot in the skeinish/ball.
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
Congratulations on your new find! Enjoy them!

knit2btied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Personally, I love Lion Brand yarn and use it for most of my projects. It's inexpensive, yes, but not cheap. I hope you enjoy using it. The cotton is also very nice for socks and dishcloths and summer sweaters. Their website has a lot of great patterns as well.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

Quote:
and my favourite! - one ball of purple microspun, oh god how I love this stuff. It's soft and smooshy and has a lovely sheen and I'm so impressed.
I used one skein of purple Microspun to knit an eye shade, attached a strip of black elastic, and I wear it every night to help me sleep. It's wonderfully soft and comfy on my face!

I learned to knit using Lion Brand yarns, and even though I have a lot of other "fancier" yarns in my stash now, I'll still grab LB Suede, Fettuccini, and Wool-Ease given a chance.

cristina61 on

** My poor neglected blog is here

RIP Gabby (9/12/2009) -- I miss you SO much. We'll never forget what a sweet girl you were!

cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
bookkid
Ribbing the Cuff

I love lionbrand! its got good yarns that aren't expensive and some are devilishly SOFT!

"...you don't learn from your mistakes, Riddle, do you?"
"You dare-"
"Yes, I dare"

"Of course it is happening inside you head, Harry, but why on Earth should that mean that it is not real?"
-Deathly Hallows

"Teddy Remus Lupin, a great wizard in the making"
bookkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Fi, you live in Scotland and there's no wool? Amazing how things change. I bought some lovely stuff from there in the 70's.

I am glad that you were able to get some fibers you can work with.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #8
DrKnitter
Casting On

Yea! Congrats on your find! I love Lion Brand as well. Sure, the more expensive stuff is fabulous, but Lion Brand is great for every day projects. And the diversity is great! Enjoy!!!

Also, ebay tends to have a great selction of lion brand yarn (as well as others) - check them out on www.lionbrand.com to get a better look before you bid though.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:53 AM   #9
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
Originally Posted by willowangel View Post
- one ball of black Tiffany - I actually can't get over how soft it is, I just keep touching it. Unfortunately, it's an eyelash type yarn so not something I'd really wear, but I think I'm going to make a really touchy-feely cushion cover with it...

Fi
That Tiffany yarn, it's actually quite stretchy and you get a lot of mileage out of that itty bitty little ball of yarn.

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:25 AM   #10
Karina
Working the Gusset

I have bought the microspun to use on the baby charity blankets and although acrylic yarn is not my favorite, I love the Lion Brand Microspun very nice and soft. I do also have in my possession on ball on purple. I will definitely use this for myself.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote