Old 01-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
KnitWit1987
1st Leg of the Journey

Help me quit smoking
Hi everyone, I am 20 years old and have been smoking since I was 12 I want to quit so bad but I just can't. My fiance has never smoked and he hates it I already dont smoke in my house and have tried patches. Dont get me wrong I really want to quit but I enjoy smoking so much. Please give me any ideas you might have or methods that worked for you. Thanks!!
KnitWit1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnitWit1987 For This Useful Post:
mwhite (01-21-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
dancemom
Casting On

Hi knitwit, I feel your pain! I have been smoking since I was 15. I am now 41. I have tried many times to quit, and it is very hard. I wish I would have never ever picked up such a terrible habit. All I can say is you really have to want it bad enough or you won't do it. Patches work well and also, the Commit Lozenges too. Ha notice how I can tell you this , but have not quit myself! I will try soon again, hopefully we will both succeed!
dancemom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dancemom For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (01-22-2008), mwhite (01-21-2008)
Old 01-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
mwhite
Instepping Out

I understand both of you and am working on quitting myself. At 51, I've already begun feeling the physical effects.... COPD, signs of EMPHYSEMA and general loss of circulation and energy. These are the BIGGEST reasons for you to quit. I am currently taking a product called Chantix and it has curbed my smoking from 2 packs a day to less than 1/4 pack a day. Some days are easy, some are harder. This is a prescription drug, so you must see a physician first but it does work. This addiction will kill you and me. Uh, need I say more. I support you and hope you'll return the favor! Mary
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (01-22-2008)
Old 01-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
figaro
Working the Gusset

I started in high school and I can't remember how I quit but if I were you, make a appointment with your Dr. and start there. Also ask him/her if they know of a local support group, strength in numbers and all. If anything try to not smoke every other cig, it might be somewhere to start from. Maybe instead of having that after dinner smoke (that was a weakness for me), try getting up and walking around the block a couple of times until the urge is gone maybe? You might be able to replace the after dinner smoke habit with a after dinner walk habit.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress and just know that you will feel better when you are done with 'em!

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to figaro For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Jen17
Turning the Heel

Hi,
I know what you are going through, but I can tell you when you do stop, you will feel great! You will have much more energy, your clothes and hair will not smell, you won't have to think about when and when your next cigarette will be. No more standing out in the freezing cold! Your doctor will be happy, you will add years to your life. I don't know if you have kids, but if you do, they are young enough they won't remember you smoking and if you don't, you won't have to worry about quitting when you decide to get pregnant. You will be able to walk up the stairs with out feeling like your going to pass out. You can check off NO to any doctor forms, life insurance forms to the "do you smoke" questions! It feels great to do that
I can tell you all this good stuff because I quit smoking 5 years ago this past December 17, 2007 which happens to be the day my granddaughter was born (she will never know me as a smoker).
It is the best thing I have ever done for myself and yes it is hard as hell, but it beats the alternatives!!
This is how I quit...it may not work for everyone, but it did for me. I smoked for 25 years, not 24 not 26 exactly 25 long years.
In September of 07 I decided I was going to quit, I had never tried before and I was determined I was only going to have to do it once.
I picked December 17th as my quit day
I smoked my brains out until that day. I enjoyed every minute of it, because I didn't feel guilty because I knew I was going to quit.
On December 16 I smoked so much that even at midnight I had to have ONE more, so I did and then I slapped on the nicotine patch.
(o.k. one big mistake here and don't you make it! it wasn't funny at the time, but I'm looking back here...I had smoked so much that day, that by adding a patch I was on nicotine overload and spent my first quit day throwing up and shaking, but at least I didn't feel like smoking!)
The patch has three steps. After the first step (which I think each step was for 3 weeks) I did it again. I did the second step for the one time and I did the third step two times. So instead of using the patch for the usual 9 weeks, I did it for 15.
I sucked on Werther's butterscotch and yes I did gain weight, but that is because I didn't exercise. So I went to Weight Watchers 6 months after I quit and lost it.
Anyway this is a long enough letter. I am still not smoking and I can't believe it doesn't bother me...I never thought I would see the day and I can't believe it is 5 years.
It is not easy, it will probably be the hardest thing you ever do. That's why I started out by telling you all the good things first.
I wish you luck and will keep you in my thoughts

Jen
Jen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen17 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
greenwitchknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

I was a smoker in high school and now would never think to pick it up again... so the moral of this story is YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
Like all have said, it does take will power but you have to at least try.. you will surprise yourself. Cold turkey worked for me, just decide, within yourself, for yourself, that you just wont be a smoker!
I wish you all the luck in the world!!

see magic in the ordinary
GO GIANTS!!

Christine

January FO's: felted clogs, two felted coin purses
OTN: Double cable Poncho in Blue with Lambs Pride Bulky (I LOVE that yarn!!)
In the near future: Scrap doggie bed with all scraps in my stash! thanks to the idea from Knittingnat!
greenwitchknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greenwitchknitter For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (01-22-2008)
Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
mwhite
Instepping Out

Thank you, Jen and Christine, your support is greatly appreciated! Mary
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
mcginnhold
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to mcginnhold
Congratulations !
You are not alone. I have gone for 4 wks. now. I never would have thought for one moment that I would want to choose not to smoke because (unfashionable as this may sound) I really loved smoking. Some of the ways that I tried to stop was chewing gum , the regular type. Then went on to the nicotine patch which left me feeling sick and jittery. Nicorette was something I used and enjoyed but didn't find it helped me very much at which point I figured nothing would help and I would forget quitting . My physician suggested that I try Chantix and I "kinda" was enthusiastic and skeptical . As you can see from the beginning sentence it worked. I'm with ya sista' If I can do you can too...yes really .
for you too,
elise
mcginnhold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcginnhold For This Useful Post:
KnitWit1987 (01-22-2008)
Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
Jen17
Turning the Heel

in response to Mary's tx you
Mary, my heart goes out to you. I hope that the prescription continues to help you quit and that the other physical problems will be solved. Also, thank you for writing...hopefully "Knit" and other's will see what you are going through and will think more seriously about quitting before they start to have serious physical effects from it..
Jen
Old 01-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Jen17
Turning the Heel

For elise
YOU GO GIRL!
Keep up the good work!

Jen
The Following User Says Thank You to Jen17 For This Useful Post:
mcginnhold (01-22-2008)