Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Connie Drye
Casting On

Found Yarn Sale/Want to Convert to Yarn in Pattern
I know there has to be a simple way to do this. I found some bulky yarn online on sale. The yarn needle size is Size 10 with 13 sts over 4" and 54.5 yards per skein.
My vest pattern however calls for Size 13 needle with a 2.5 sts per inch over 4". I need 400 yards for my vest. Is there a way to determine how much I need to order?
Thanks so much for any suggestions!
Connie Drye is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Compare the yarn gauge of the yarn in the pattern with yours. It may be the same. The gauge of yarn is more to categorize it than to define which needles to use.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Using yarn with a different gauge could very well affect the pattern size so keep that in mind, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
sideways
Ribbing the Cuff

If the pattern calls for a bulky (sounds like it does) then you might need about the same. It's hard to say because of your own tension, actual thickness of the yarn, needle size, etc. You may even decide that your chosen yarn looks better knitted at more or less stitches per inch than what a label or pattern suggests.

Also depends on the pattern stitch; a lacey pattern will use less yarn than a solid garter or stockinette. Your pattern and yarn label probably refer to gauge of a solid pattern, usually stockinette, even if the actual vest itself is knit in a more open pattern.

I do a lot of sewing, and my rule of thumb when in doubt of needed yardage is to buy 10-20% more than called for. Better to have some left over than run out and not be able to match it later. But I am still a newbie knitter, so don't know everything about yarn just yet.
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sideways For This Useful Post:
Connie Drye (02-29-2008)