Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
nanefy
Casting On

Decreasing in Pattern
Hi,

I am fairly new to knitting, however can do most things. I have this pattern for a V-Neck baby cardigan. I am knitting the Left Front of the cardigan and I am the stage where I have to start decreasing on the RS front edge (basically the right hand side of the RS to start the V-Neck). I know how to decrease (P2TOG), however I dont know how to do this and stay in pattern as the pattern is pretty complex (for me anyway). Here is the pattern:

1: K1 *K2, K2TOG, YFWD, K3, rep from * to last 4sts, K4
2: P1, YRN, P2TOG, P1, *P1, P2TOGTBL, YRN, P1, YRN, P2TOG, P1, rep from * to last st, P1
3: K1, *K2TOG, YFWD, K3, YFWD, S1, K1, PSSO, rep from * to last 4 sts, K2TOG, YFWD, K2
4: PURL
5: K1, *YFWD, S1, K1, PSSO, K5, rep from * to last 4 sts, YFWD, S1, K1, PSSO, K2
6: P1, P2TOGTBL, YRN, P1, *YRN, P2TOG, P2, P2TOGTBL, YRN, P1, rep from * to last st, P1
7: K1, *K2, YFWD, S1, K1, PSSO, K2TOG, YFWD, K1, rep from * to last 4 sts, K2, YFWD, S1, K1, PSSO
8: PURL

These 8 rows form the pattern.

Now basically, on this left side, I started with ribbing and then changed to larger needles and started the pattern (above 8 rows). I was to continue until this side measured 20cm which I have done. It then goes on to say:

SHAPE NECK

Work 37 rows dec 1 st at front edge in next and every foll 4th row (30sts). Cont without shaping until left from measures 34cm, ending with a ws row. Cast off.

Now, my problems are this:

1. If I have to dec in next row, is this the first row of the 37 rows Im working?

2. If so, what is the next row I decrease on (is it row 4 or row 5)?

3. Having the answer to the above two questions, how do I decrease in pattern? I wish the pattern would just give me the next 37 rows written out so I didnt have to figure it out myself.

For example, on row 6, say I had at this point decreased 2 stitches, what would be my first stitch. Because I would have assumed that decreasing 2 stitches would mean that I lose the first 2 stitches from each row which, for me, row 6 would look like this:

6: P1TBL, YRN, P1, *YRN, P2TOG, P2, P2TOGTBL, YRN, P1, rep from * to last st, P1

Is this correct??? Row 6 is not the only problem, I basically have no clue what do do if my decrease takes me in between a S1,K1,PSSO.

As you can see this pattern is driving me up the wall. I have already ripped out the decrease section about 6 times!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Cheers,

Jo.

Last edited by nanefy : 02-24-2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
nanefy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I'd decrease on the first of the 37 rows. If you count this as row 1, then decrease on rows 5, 9, 13, 17, etc.

As for the pattern itself. . .

You're eliminating the first stitch in the sequence. Since the decreases are on odd-numbered rows, you'll always be working a k2tog at that edge to maintain the first knit stitch at the edge.

Here's where it gets tricky. There are 7 stitches in your repeats. If you put a marker at the beginning of the first repeat, then from that point you'll know you're on track for the non-decreased part of the row. Just start at the * after the marker.

As for the decreases, it's very hard to write out each direction. A chart is much easier to follow decreases.

I'd k2tog at the beginning of each decrease row since there is a stockinette stitch edge at the beginning and end of every row.

After that, your best bet is to look at the knitting and see if you're in the right place. One stitch will be eliminated from the 7 stitch repeat each decrease.

On row 5, you'd just eliminate the first yfwd rather than knitting 2 together.

It looks like you're only decreasing on rows 1 and 5, so this should get your started. Always purl the last stitch on the ws row. You'll be starting the ws rows on the edge away from the decreases, so just keep working them until you run out of stitches.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
nanefy (02-25-2008)