View Poll Results: What type of knitter are you?
English Style 34 49.28%
Continental Style 26 37.68%
Other (please explain) 10 14.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
I voted English style. My version is more like the Yarn Harlot (Irish Cottage) but the fingers in my right hand are not as straight as hers. My right hand does not leave the needle. I didn't realize there were so may styles of knitting.
sue in canada is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
I voted other, I'm a combined knitter. But when i show someone else how to knit I show them the um, i dunno which is which, the one wher the yarn is in the left hand.

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
bethany
Turning the Heel

primarily english, though working a blanket in continental right now...I just can't get the tension right when holding the yarn...

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #14
HollyP
Working the Gusset

I knit primarily English but I do know how to knit continental. I did knit an entire sweater Conti but I decided I really prefer English. The purling alway feels very awkward when I am knitting continentally.
When I have taught people to knit I have taught both ways. My lefty friend loves continental.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #15
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I voted continental- I am only working on my 2nd project now & it's the 1st one with purls- I am slowly getting the hang of it. It's hard to see if my tension is OK w/ the purling because I am working w/ Homespun and it's wibbly!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #16
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
My lefty friend loves continental
Yep, there it is, lefties like me like Continental. When I learned it, it was called "pick knitting" or "picking".

My goal is to learn the Irish Country style, but I'm trying to figure out how to modify that to my left hand, seems I'm almost there now.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #17
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
I learned to knit English method, but tried my hand at continental method. I prefer English method. I'd love to try to perfect the Yarn Harlot's method. Continental is nice and I am sure is faster than I knit currently, but I love throwing.

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #18
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
I use a little of both. That's just the way that I learned from my mother who learned from her grandmother. It works for me so I haven't tried to change it.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #19
Pjusken
Ribbing the Cuff

I had never seen or heard of the English style until I came here and saw it. I've been trying to learn the method but it's going horribly.
Pjusken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #20
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I think there, at time, seems to be a bit of "snobbery" attached to continental knitting. Now please don't jump all over me because I don't mean here. But I have had, on several occasions, someone come up to me whilst I was knitting, peer over my should and say " I knit CONTINENTAL" as if it were the end all be all and sign of a true knitter. I even had someone say to me to too long ago that they were a "real" knitter because they didn't "throw" their yarn.

I knit because I enjoy it, not for speed or to see how many items I can crank out. While I find the Yarn Harlot's speed impressive I also think it would be tiring and not so much fun.

Knitting style should be a matter of personal preference not a competition. I would someday like to learn COntinental but only so I can say "I tried it" but for now I am a happy ENGLISH knitter!
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote