View Poll Results: What type of knitter are you?
English Style 34 49.28%
Continental Style 26 37.68%
Other (please explain) 10 14.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #21
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
Originally Posted by GinnyG View Post
I think there, at time, seems to be a bit of "snobbery" attached to continental knitting. Now please don't jump all over me because I don't mean here. But I have had, on several occasions, someone come up to me whilst I was knitting, peer over my should and say " I knit CONTINENTAL" as if it were the end all be all and sign of a true knitter. I even had someone say to me to too long ago that they were a "real" knitter because they didn't "throw" their yarn.

I knit because I enjoy it, not for speed or to see how many items I can crank out. While I find the Yarn Harlot's speed impressive I also think it would be tiring and not so much fun.

Knitting style should be a matter of personal preference not a competition. I would someday like to learn COntinental but only so I can say "I tried it" but for now I am a happy ENGLISH knitter!
Well said

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #22
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
Originally Posted by GinnyG View Post
I think there, at time, seems to be a bit of "snobbery" attached to continental knitting. Now please don't jump all over me because I don't mean here. But I have had, on several occasions, someone come up to me whilst I was knitting, peer over my should and say " I knit CONTINENTAL" as if it were the end all be all and sign of a true knitter. I even had someone say to me to too long ago that they were a "real" knitter because they didn't "throw" their yarn.

I knit because I enjoy it, not for speed or to see how many items I can crank out. While I find the Yarn Harlot's speed impressive I also think it would be tiring and not so much fun.

Knitting style should be a matter of personal preference not a competition. I would someday like to learn COntinental but only so I can say "I tried it" but for now I am a happy ENGLISH knitter!
I'm sure not ALL continental knitters are this way - but I've run into this as well. When I used to knit at 2 different yarn shops, I got comments that basically added up to me not being either a serious knitter or a good knitter because I throw. I LOVE to throw.

Bottom line: It's ALL good if we knit!!! It wouldn't matter if someone knitted with their toes to me. Knitters are like the yarns they knit with: Some are thin. Some are chunky. Some are fuzzy. Some are scratchy. Some are flashy. And some are subdued. But in the end they are all yummy!

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #23
of troy
Turning the Heel

first, Thank you for acknowledging there are other styles of knitting besides European. (and for the record both english and continental are European styles)

I knit combo. my purl stitches are wrapped 'differently' (the long way (clockwise) not the short way (over the top) (conterclockwise)

this results in my stitches (on rows after a purl stitch) being mounted with FRONT (leading edge of stitch) in back.

I can knit european (that is i can (and sometimes do!) purl so that my purl stitch is mounted with leading edge in front of work.

i can also purl in the norwegian style (but that style results in a standard leading edge in front stitch)

and i can (and occationally practice doing!) work purls stitches with my thumb (portugues/mid eastern/greek style)

i also knit backwards (aka true left handed)that is work stitches from RIGHT NEEDLE onto the LEFT (vs standard work stitches from LEFT NEEDLE on the the Right handed on)

What i don't do well (aver some 45 years of knitting !) is work with the yarn held in my right hand.

all my knitting is done with yarn held by left hand.

but i don't think any of this matters!
what matter is can a knitter knit?

when they want to make a stocking knit stitch, (knit flat, knit in round, worked in double knitting!) can they do it?

when they want to work a twisted stitch (on work done flat, or in the round or in double knitting) can they?

I can.

i can knit. my knitting is conventional looking --even when the process i use to work the stitches isn't!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #24
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I knit Continental style. I tried English when I was first learning to knit b/c that was how I was shown. However, I've been a crocheter most of my life and even though I'm left handed, my Mom showed me how to knit right handed so I do. I hold the yarn in my left hand to crochet and when I tried it for knitting it just seemed so much more natural for me. As long as you find what's comfortable for you, what does it matter?

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #25
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Another Combined Continental knitter here.

It's the way Grammy taught me 40 years ago. When I picked up needles again a few years ago, trying to relearn from books, I was confoozled with the purl.

Last January I finally figured out Grammy's purl and I've been happily knitting ever since!

I want to learn English to make carrying two yarns easier to knit.

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #26
KnittingNinja
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to KnittingNinja
English knitter over here I learned from a little kit that I got for Christmas when I was... umm... 11, I think. That kit happened to teach English, and since I'm right handed I didn't really question it. I saw Continental and was quite impressed, and I tried it once, but I never really stuck to it. I guess English just feels more natural to me.

In Progress: Pair o' socks, mixing and matching left over sock yarn.
Up Next: Crazy scarf for my sister is Seattle
KnittingNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #27
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I was knitting in combined style for 20 years and only when i discovered this site i understood there are other knitting styles. I switched to regular Continental now, because it's easier with the patterns for me (don't need to switch the decreases).
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote