Old 02-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
Ilove2knit
Ribbing the Cuff

I want to join, too! I finished my Tempting sweater recently, and I'm in the middle of another top; hopefully I'll finish it soon. I haven't participated in a KAL before. What type of yarn would you recommend? I used acrylic for Tempting, and wish I hadn't; it's kinda sweaty and itchy. I have a lot of recycled cotton, but it might be too thin. Since I got it from sweaters, I'm not sure what weight it is. I have some worsted(I think) cashmere...would that work? Is cashmere good for summer-time? Tempting 2 is such a cute top; I want to make a good yarn choice so I can wear it! Summers are very hot and humid where I live.
In the planning stages: tank tops for my dds, and another lacy one for me, sandals for my baby dd, skirt with a lace border

I'm "momto3girls" on Ravelry.
Ilove2knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Cashmere is Reaally Warm, so I wouldn't recommend it for a warm weather sweater. Maybe you could double the cotton (if you have enough) and see how that works.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #13
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Hmmm... this looks like something my daughter might like. Let me run it past her and I may join you.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
Samsam
Knitting the Flap

ohh I really like this pattern!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #15
Indygirl

I would like to join in and make one for my daughter. I think I'm a little busty to make this for me. I have a bag of 10 balls of Debbie Bliss merino aran. It says on the band it is 50g. Do you think that is enough yarn. My daughter is a very small person. Also would that kind of yarn be to warm for the spring?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilove2knit View Post
What type of yarn would you recommend? .....I want to make a good yarn choice so I can wear it! Summers are very hot and humid where I live.
Hi Love!

Well, the model sweater is knit out of Rowan's "Calmer"...a cotton blend with a bit of stretchiness to it. I noticed that one of my favorite Ebay yarn shops has some Calmer on sale!!! Wheee! In a light limey green called SOUR, and in a peachy color called TANGERINE!
SOUR
TANGERINE
Somebody better go over and grab up that SOUR. There are only 10 sk left and it is eatin' at me somethin' fierce! I love the color!!!

"Calmer" is typically about $10-$12 per skein! But Yarnbow is offering these two for just $6.25 per skein! A real savings! She is a good Ebayer, BTW. I have purchased from her numerous times.

Whatever YARN you decide on, the yarn label has to say the gauge of the yarn is 18-20 st per 4" in st. st.

If you have "unknown" yarn in your Stash, and want to FIND OUT what the weight is, just cast on 22 stitches with a US8 needle, and work st st back and forth for about 4".

Then measure the width of the middle 20 st. If it measures 4", you have an aran weight that will work for Tempting II.

And you probably know how to change needle sizes up or down to re-swatch if your swatch was too wide or too narrow for those middle 20st, right?

Some yarns can be tweaked by needle size to conform to the gauge required by the pattern. But, you can't go up in size too far to make a lightweight yarn work. The st st would be loosey-goosey and hole-y looking.

Conversely, if you go down in needle size for a bulky-ish yarn, the st st will look too thick, and feel like a placemat. That doesn't work either.

No, you can only tweak a yarn and its gauge a needle size or two up or down.

I have been having gauge issues lately. Trying to find a pattern for a yarn I have my heart set on...and to make things even more interesting, the yarn is variegated, and thereby limiting my pattern choices even more!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
knit2btied (02-26-2008)
Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Indygirl View Post
I would like to join in and make one for my daughter. I think I'm a little busty to make this for me. I have a bag of 10 balls of Debbie Bliss merino aran. It says on the band it is 50g. Do you think that is enough yarn. My daughter is a very small person. Also would that kind of yarn be to warm for the spring?
Hi Indy!

The ballband should also say how many yards is contained in that 50g. of DB merino aran. If not, go to the Yarndex and find out.

The model sweater is using "Calmer", which has 177 yds. per skein. If you needed, for example, 4 skeins for your daughter's size...that would be 708 yds total in any yarn.

Lemme see, I'll check with the Yarndex. Yup, it has 86 yds per skein. So you have in your possession 860 yds. Probably more than enough to make a Tempting II for your DD!

Welcome to Tempting II KAL, Indygirl!!

www.yarndex.com is a site that will tell you all the stats about almost any yarn! It is so way cool!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Indygirl (02-26-2008)
Old 02-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #18
Indygirl

Thanks Artlady, I saved that yarndex site. I might go looking around online to try to find this "calmer" that the pattern calls for. I can always use this yummy 'debbie bliss' another time.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #19
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by lelvsdgs View Post
Hmmm... this looks like something my daughter might like. Let me run it past her and I may join you.
It would be wonderful to have you, lelvsdgs! Get back to us!

Artlady at Rav
Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #20
Indygirl

Look what I just found. I think it will look great on my D.D. and I love the color.

Last edited by Indygirl : 02-27-2008 at 05:18 AM.