Old 02-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #21
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,890 Times in 3,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Indygirl View Post
Thanks Artlady, I saved that yarndex site. I might go looking around online to try to find this "calmer" that the pattern calls for. I can always use this yummy 'debbie bliss' another time.
Check this LINK
There are lots of Rowan "Calmer" offerings on Ebay today. Keep scrolling down when you get there! And quite a few are half price!! WhooHooo!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #22
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Hi, ArtLady. I am looking with interest at the knit along you have going. You know I don't usually knit grown up things, but this top would look great on my youngest DD. I don't know if she would like it or if I could find yarn suitable. I would want it to be a summer top and so seems like the cotton blend would be in order.

I've been looking around on-line. And I found this at Elann. What do you think of it. Would it work? I don't want to make something that will be worn once and be trash after that, but looking at the Rowan..... my cheap-o-meter went off. LOL This other stuff is in mostly bright colors and I don't know if my DD would like any of them, or the top for that matter. But I may ask her. Have you ever used or seen this yarn used? I think the gauge could work. I think I would need to make the 36 or possibly the 32, so would need 8 balls of this Elann yarn. That would only be $18.00, which keeps my temperature down much better. lol

Merigold
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #23
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
....I've been looking around on-line. And I found this at Elann. What do you think of it. Would it work?....

Merigold
Yes, I do think it would work! "Calmer" is also a cotton/microfiber blend (75% Cotton/25% Microfiber) That's what gives it the stretchiness, and keeps the summer top close to the bod. The pattern says to knit it up to be a little snug. Like if your chest is 42"...knit the size for 40".

Thanks ever so much for the link! This may help others, too! I LOVE THE GOOD PRICE!!!

As I said, Calmer is on sale on Ebay. I posted the link but here it is again: CALMER

Your yarn at Elann is a better bargain though! The Calmer on sale would bring the cost of the top to at least $25 plus shipping.

Your Katia JET is only $18 for the size you need! WhoooHooo!

I'm gonna see if I can't post a link to that yarn in my signature. I might not have enough space allowed. I'd have to offload my Ravelry hot link, or my 2008 Year of the Stash hot link.

Welcome Merigold! We need you!

Artlady at Rav
Old 02-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #24
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

I called my DD and she looked at the pattern and liked it. She would prefer it minus the buckle, which is fine by me. She also looked at the colors of the Elann and liked three of them.

I don't know anything about using E-bay. It has always scared me. We don't have an account, but DD said she did. She may look at the yarn there. She is working Mon., Tue., Wed., nights (12 hour shifts) and has a little baby to take care of and was trying to take a nap when I called (but was still awake). Our son and his wife gave us a $25.00 gift certificate to spend on E-bay quite a few years ago. We haven't used it and don't even know how, or if we still can. So we're bad about E-bay and most things that involve money/technology. The more of either the worse we are. LOL

Merigold
Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #25
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

....She would prefer it minus the buckle, which is fine by me...

Merigold
I may skip the buckle, too. I might make the pieces (that would go into the buckle) longer and tie them in a cute square knot. That appeals to me more.

Yeah, Ebay scares lots of folks. I use PayPal, so my cc information is completely secure.

And, I use only a few of the highest rated Ebay Yarn Shops. Those shops with 100% customer Feedback Approval. Those Ebayers CARE ABOUT FEEDBACK. Nothin' could kill their business quicker than negative feedback.

I have never had even one bad experience with Ebay Yarn Shops, or any other shop for that matter. I bought a vintage print a couple weeks ago...a print of old timey knitters with their kids hangin' all over them. The vendor lives in England, and I got that print quicker than stuff from Elann!

But, as I said, I only buy from established SHOPS on Ebay. The ones that are in it for the long haul, as a business! Not the miscellaneous fly-by-night Ebayers.

I think your KATIA JET yarn will do wonderfully for Tempting II.
I would buy it myself if I didn't already have Stash yarn for it!

Artlady at Rav
Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #26
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

I went to look at E-bay and have a couple of questions. One of the sellers is called Rainbow and has 100% good feed back. She says the shipping is $3.50 but doesn't say how she handles multiple skeins. The one in England, Janette's Rare Yarns (or something with a J), had 99.9% good feedback. That is pretty high in my mind. She had some turquoise, which was one of the colors my DD likes of the Katia Jet. Rowan is a good name in my book because that man knitter who did all the fantastic color knitting used it. LOL It is also 75% cotton instead of the Katia Jet being 50%. The gal in England at least said how she handled multiple skeins. 1 was $4.00 and each after that was $1.00 more. Do you think the gal in Texas would want $3.50 per skein, or how do you find out?

Have you used or seen the Katia Jet?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #27
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I went to look at E-bay and have a couple of questions. One of the sellers is called Rainbow and has 100% good feed back. She says the shipping is $3.50 but doesn't say how she handles multiple skeins. The one in England, Janette's Rare Yarns (or something with a J), had 99.9% good feedback. That is pretty high in my mind. She had some turquoise, which was one of the colors my DD likes of the Katia Jet. Rowan is a good name in my book because that man knitter who did all the fantastic color knitting used it. LOL It is also 75% cotton instead of the Katia Jet being 50%. The gal in England at least said how she handled multiple skeins. 1 was $4.00 and each after that was $1.00 more. Do you think the gal in Texas would want $3.50 per skein, or how do you find out?

Have you used or seen the Katia Jet?
The Ebay lady in Texas is not Rainbow...it is Yarnbow! TeeHee! I have ordered from her many times. If you click on one of her yarns...and scroll waaaaaaaaaaaaay down...keep scrolling....keep scrolling....you will see where she states $3.50 for ball #1 and 60 cents for ea. add'l ball.

If you ever have questions in the future, look on the right hand side of the page of the yarn...and click ASK SELLER A QUESTION. When she gets your question, she will know what yarn you are asking about. She gets right back to you with answers! All good ebayers do!

I knit a full pullover with Calmer a couple years ago! I love it!
It breathes, and being slightly stretchy, it isn't restricting! Just enough stretch, like jeans with a little stretch. Dontcha just love 'em?

Artlady at Rav
Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #28
Ilove2knit
Ribbing the Cuff

On Joann.com I found some cotton/acrylic blend yarn. Would that work? The pattern says that 100% cotton doesn't work so well for Tempting 2, and I mostly have 100% cotton. Here's a link to the yarn I found.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd31109
In the planning stages: tank tops for my dds, and another lacy one for me, sandals for my baby dd, skirt with a lace border

I'm "momto3girls" on Ravelry.
Ilove2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #29
silegose
Knitting the Flap

artlady, well I dont have enough yarn of my KIM, so I went at the LYS and picked up some deb bliss pure cotton but I dont think it will work that well. I does not stretch very well.
I did do a gauge swatch and 20/ 25 rows. What do you think? Should I look for something else.
thanks

FO: simple cable

http://silegose.blogspot.com/

silegose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:22 AM   #30
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Ilove2knit View Post
On Joann.com I found some cotton/acrylic blend yarn. Would that work? ....
I looked at the gauge, and it seems to be spot on! I think you have a winner! Nice price, too!

The yardage per skein is almost identical to Calmer's yardage.

NOTE: they attached a disclaimer about their inconsistent dyelots.
So you might end up having to alternate every other row with a different skein if shading differences appear!

Artlady at Rav