Old 03-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #81
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi Knitters!

I cast on for Tempting II. I just wanted to make a couple comments with regards to the casting on stage. Most of you probably don't need this reminder, but I'll post comments along the way for all levels of experience.

1) When casting on such a huge number of stitches, I use stitch markers to "mark" every 20 stitches. What a shame to cast on 201 or 199, when you need exactly 200. Just one stitch off and your K1/P1 ribbing will be off! At the stitch marker, where the two ends meet for the first time, a K1 with bump right into another K1. ACK!

2) After casting on the required number of stitches, you will be asked to join the ends to begin the "knitting in the round" process. With such a huge number of stitches crammed on your needle (I am using a 24" Addi) it will be hard to determine if your knitting is twisted on the needle. BE SURE, before joining, that your cast-on stitches aren't "spun around" or "twisted around" on the needle!

If anyone doesn't know what I mean by comments 1) or 2)...please feel free to PM me and I will help you.

To all knitters!

Don't be dismayed if some of us are done with swatching and are casting on. We will wait up for you! It will take some time to finish STEP 1 of the BODY...which is, after casting on...knitting the K1/P1 ribbing for umpteen inches! I am knitting the size 40"...so my BODY ribbing is 16"! Believe me, that will take days!

We won't progress to the next step until everyone meets us there, at the end of the BODY ribbing for however many inches your size needs. OK? I will just work on another project til everyone is ready to begin the body's "Next Round" (see note below):

We all need to be together for the "Next Round" step of the BODY of Tempting II, as pasted below:

Next Round: Break yarn, place next 12[14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 22] sts on waste yarn; rejoin yarn, work 60[66, 74, 82, 88, 96, 108] sts, break yarn; place next 12[14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 22] sts on waste yarn; rejoin yarn, work 60[66, 74, 82, 88, 96, 108] sts (to end of round). Do not break yarn. Set aside and make sleeves.

No one will begin "Next Round" til all of us are done with the gruesome task of knitting 13"-18" of Body ribbing!
So, if anyone is an ultra fast ribber...have another project ready to work on while you are waiting for the rest of us to catch up!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Doodknitwit (03-02-2008), knittingymnast (03-02-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #82
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Well, I finially ordered some yarn today. Main Street Yarns in GA said they had Calmer on sale for $9 per skein, only when I called the gal in the store said they only had one color really---some pink. Pink? No pink. So I kept looking. They said they may order some more Calmer and sell it at that price.

I consulted with DD about other color options and she liked plum, and several others might do, but I couldn't find any of them in the USA at a low price. Then last night I looked at the GA yarn store's site again and the site said they had 6 skeins of Vintage. I thought the gal might have considered it 'pink' even though it isn't (we hope). So I had DD look at the color and she liked it.

When I called them this morning (morning here but 1 pm there) she said yes they had the Vintage at $9 and they were going to order some more Calmer and sell it at $10.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm hoping the color will be nice in person. Since shipping was free if you ordered over $50.00 worth, I bought 2 skeins of some Cascade Superwash that I hope will go with the hat DH made for our DGD. It will all ship tomorrow. Goodie, goodie. It sounds like a lot of you have yarn in hand or on the way. Exciting!
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #83
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
Well, I finally ordered some yarn today....
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm hoping the color will be nice in person.
Well, if my opinion counts for anything I LOVE THIS COLOR you got!
Very classy, very subtle, very nice! And, the color will complement many colors of skirts, jeans, capris, slacks, or shorts she might have in her closet!!

Thanks for sharing! Way to go Merigold! You scored a good price, too. Calmer typically sells for about $12 per skein. Close-out or discontinued colors can sell for $6. So you did good! Ya hafta get the color DD will wear!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
MerigoldinWA (03-02-2008)
Old 03-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #84
mimi
Knitting the Flap

ArtLady, your Knit-Along is really growing now. By last count we are:
ArtLady, Merigold, KG, IndyGirl, Silegose, Knit2btied, Ilove2knit, Doodlknit, Mimi. I may be making two of these because my daughter-in-law liked the pattern, and she is choosing a color in calmer that she likes. (One at a time, however).

My yarn should come tomorrow, and the best part is, that my boss is going fishing on Wednesday so I will be all alone in the office with nothing to do . . . . any ideas?

OTN: Cashmere and silk cowl, Baby Heart Blanket.

In my mind: Natural Malabrigo for a jacket,

Queued: Booties and Cap, still trying to find a pattern for my malabrigo jacket.

I am Mimi on ravelry too.
mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #85
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by mimi View Post
ArtLady, your Knit-Along is really growing now. By last count we are:
ArtLady, Merigold, KG, IndyGirl, Silegose, Knit2btied, Ilove2knit, Doodlknit, Mimi. I may be making two of these because my daughter-in-law liked the pattern, and she is choosing a color in calmer that she likes. (One at a time, however).

My yarn should come tomorrow, and the best part is, that my boss is going fishing on Wednesday so I will be all alone in the office with nothing to do . . . . any ideas?
Nope, no idea whatsoever!!

Yeah, if I like the fit of this top, I might make several in different colors and different yarn types. It looks like it will go well under suit jackets, cardigans, etc. Sometimes I get tired of wearing blouses and shirts under my suit jackets and cardigans. I like the idea of sleeveless tops that are not lingerie-looking.

And YES, we have 9 participants so far! You listed them correctly!

We have 3 maybes: lelvsdgs, samsam, and knitmama.
They posted comments, but I'm not sure they are commited to this KAL.
They might be too busy with another KAL.

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #86
Indygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Hi Indy!

Be sure to knit your swatch. It will be important to the overall sizing and the yardage used. For example, if you are knitting looser than 'correct gauge'...you may run out of yarn before you're done.
Artlady, I replyed to this once. I don't know what happened to it Anyway. I sure will check the gauge. I'm having eye surgery in the morning. I guess I'll not be casting on until maybe tue. sometime. Thanks for the reminder and all the help.

Knit on Good Women!

I am still working on my 'Something Red'...a top-down raglan cardigan.
Body is done, first sleeve is 4" in length. (Sleeves are also top-down.)
But, as I told knit2btied...I'll cast on for Tempting II on Monday morning.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #87
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

GROUP HUG for Indygirl!!!! Best of luck on the eye surgery!
We'll see ya later next week! Take care!!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Indygirl (03-02-2008)
Old 03-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #88
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
Yes, Indy, hope all goes well for the surgery! I think if I weren't a coward I'd be jealous of new eyesight for knitting! (smile)

knit2btied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knit2btied For This Useful Post:
Indygirl (03-02-2008)
Old 03-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #89
silegose
Knitting the Flap

Indy... I hope all goes well for you. Take it easy once your home!!

Ok.. Here is a question. When casting on that many stitches is it better to do the knitted cast on or the tail?

happy

FO: simple cable

http://silegose.blogspot.com/

silegose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #90
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
I don't know the knitted cast on. (I'm not that coordinated) I do know that you will want some stretch with the cast since the top is ribbed. Does the knitted cast leave enough stretch?

knit2btied is offline   Reply With Quote