Old 02-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

I think I'm anemic...Update with interesting twist ending (lol)
As the title says, I think I'm anemic. I've been awful tired for the past few weeks, been having annoying headaches, and some lightheaded-ness when standing up or bending. I'm going Wednesday morning for a blood test, and I'm at the point where I'm really hoping it is anemia because then at least I'll know why I feel so crappy, and I'll be able to do something about it. For the past week or so, I really have not been at top form. Everything just seems to be overshadowed by the fact that I'm just beat.

(And why does it seem that every other time I post here, I'm venting? I guess this is just a safe place or something, so thanks for listening to me. )

Last edited by PCwombat : 03-13-2008 at 09:18 PM.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
mwhite
Instepping Out

Daughter has just been diagnosed with anemia. She's having to really increase her iron intake with foods like liver. I would think that protein rich foods like peanut butter and beans would help, too. Hope you'll find out and get to feeling better soon. No fun being tired and worn out all the time. You deserve a "Poor Baby"! Mary
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
PCwombat (02-26-2008)
Old 02-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
heavenlyevil
Casting On

I hope that's all it is and you get it cleared up fast. I'm stuck with it for life and the longer it goes an the more wearing it seems to get.

Graham crackers are a great source of iron, even better when you add peanut butter. Apricots too. People never think of things like that for some reason, but there are lots of iron-rich foods. Reading labels at the bulk food store is great for discovering stuff like that.

One last tip: don't have any calcium (including dairy) within 4 hours of taking iron or you won't absorb any of it.
PCwombat (02-26-2008)
Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
I hope your test goes well and it is something simple and easily treated like anemia. I had it when I was a kid, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
PCwombat (02-26-2008)
Old 02-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
laptop_knitter
1st Leg of the Journey

I've been anemic for a while, I just take iron supplements because I find it hard to remember to eat the iron-rich foods. Hope you feel better soon.
laptop_knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laptop_knitter For This Useful Post:
PCwombat (02-26-2008)
Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I hope your test goes well and they find out what's causing your problems.
I've been anemic for some time, I won't go into details of why. My doctor told me to take my iron pills with orange juice or some other high vitamin C drink because vitamin C helps the absorption of the iron. Good luck with everything.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Spinach and kale are also good for anemia and if you can get organic produce, even better.

The more food sources you get your iron from, the better off you will be. I know that the supplements are given out by doctors and touted to work well, but there is a reason all these foods have the nutrition we need.

Also, ask your doctor, if you are anemic, if you need to increase your Vitamin C. It helps bind iron to the red blood cells.

BTW, in the 'old' days, we gave "iron shots", they hurt like crazy, be glad those days are, for the most part, gone.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
PCwombat (02-26-2008)
Old 02-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

I'm always borderline anaemic - it's a pain but when I dip into anaemia it's easily sorted. I had to stop being vegetarian after 7 years because I just wasn't getting the iron (due to other dietary restrictions), and have been a lot better since. I hope they find the cause and you can get it sorted :-)
PCwombat (02-26-2008)
Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
nonni
Casting On

Both my brother and I have been anemic at different times in our lives and we have both been diagnosed as celiacs. For my brother his anemia went on for years, until they finally tested him for celiac disease. When you're anemic all you want to do is just feel like your old self again. It's good you're getting on top of it so quickly.

Nonni
nonni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonni For This Useful Post:
PCwombat (02-26-2008)
Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

Mini-update.

So, I went to the Health Center today, and I found out that they don't do blood tests there. Basically the appointment was the nurse asking me my symptoms and doing the whole weight/throat/ears/blood pressure/listening stuff. She thinks it is possible I'm anemic, but I could also have hypothyroidism. Eh, who knows, hopefully it's something with an easy enough fix. Friday morning I go to the lab to give blood. And then, I get to wait however long for the results. :-\

Well, I'm slowly getting there.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote