Old 02-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Kaillech
Casting On

Wooden vs. Metal vs. Plastic needles
Hey everyone. I'm new to knitting but after figuring out the knit stitch last night and sort of mastering it, I'm finding that I like it and may well prefer it to crochetting. What I'm curious about is the different needle materials. For crochetting I use metal hooks as that's what I was given. With knitting it's sort of the same. I was given a starter set which are Boyle 8s. They're metal and I have to say that I'm not overly fond of the metallic click while working. So I've been thinking about trying different needle types. I've read a bit about the stickiness of bamboo and pretty much nothing about plastic ones at all and I'm curious about the opinions of those here. Which type do you prefer? Do you have a recommendation for a beginner? Does the needle material really matter?

My knitting and reading blog

Kaillech on Ravelry
Kaillech is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

It's all a preference. I learned on plastic. Currently, most of my single point needles are plastic. I have one pair of aluminum, but I don't like them because of the clicking noise (drives me crazy) and one pair of bamboo, which I love.

My first foray into DPNs and circular needles was with bamboo. I like them and will use them, but if given a choice I will use Harmony wood needles or aluminum as the points are more pronounced. Bamboo doesn't let the stitches slide as easily for me as I knit on the tight side.

I've never used plastic DPNs or circulars.

I've been using aluminum DPNs for socks and recently invested in a set of Harmony wood needles to see if I would like them better. I love them and will be buying more in different sizes.

It can get expensive, so if you have a friend or family member that knits and uses a different kind of needle, ask to borrow them to try it out before you buy.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

I like plastic and wood needles best. I don't like the feel of metal needles. My stitches also tend to slip off of metal needles; they don't have enough cling.

The one problem I've found with straight plastic needles is that if they are too long they sometimes bend because they aren't as sturdy as other materials.

As for wood needles, I love the way they feel. My only fear is that I'll break one!

Rebecca
Old 02-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
It really boils down to personal choice. I prefer metal needles.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

I prefer bamboo or wooden needles. They seem to be easier on my hands and my tension is medium so the sts slide off easily without sticking. I started with metal/aluminums and the clicking sound is disturbing to my cats and husband....far be it for me to disturb either of these two deities! Anyway, Clover is my choice of knitting kneedles! Mary
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
bambi
Working the Gusset

I have aluminum needles and bamboo needles. I like them both for different projects. The stitches sometimes slide on metal but sometimes the bamboo are too clingy. I guess it depends on the yarn type, too.

The only pair of plastics I had snapped with a project on them. Not cool.

Bambi
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
My favorites are a few nylon ones from the 70s, but they're only in the larger sizes. Generally I prefer the metal ones; some have a coating on them so they're not as slippery if you have slippery yarn. I have a couple bamboo, they're okay, but I like the metal better.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
My one experience with plastic needles was terrible. They stuck to the yarn, and I felt as if I were fighting a war the whole time I used them. I went back to the store and purchased metal of the same size and switched to finish the project.

I like wood and bamboo or metal for mine...

knit2btied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
Needle types
I prefer metal needles myself. I have used plastic and broken 3 pair so I have half a set left, I have also used the bamboo but the yarn doesn't seem to slide as easily. But if you don't like the clicking bamboo is the way to go. I heard somewhere if you slide wax paper over the bamboo needles the yarn will slide easier and you can use sand paper if there is a part that sticks more than another on the needle. Good Luck in your experimenting.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
I love bamboo needles and recently bought a set from ebay. Very good price and they are great. I also love my Addi circulars.
sue in canada is offline   Reply With Quote