Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
knitting_4_baby
Casting On

Binding off.. where am I going wrong?
I need to bind off the first two stitches and last two stitches of the next 8 rows to make a decrease in my knitting. Now I've bound off the first two stitches no problems, but when I come to binding off the last two stitches, I am knitting right up until there is only 1 stitch left on my left needle, pulling the 2nd to last stitch over the last stitch on my right needle, then knitting my last stitch and pulling the 2nd to last stitch over this stitch, but this gives me a bind off of the 3rd and second stitch, leaving a gap and the very last stitch still on my needle! I can't break the yarn because I need to turn around and continue knitting. Does anyone know where I am going wrong and what I should be doing? Hope my explanation is clear enough, but don't hesitate to ask if you don't understand what I have done!!!
knitting_4_baby is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
MMario
Turning the Heel

personally - when told to bind off the last x stitches of a row, I just do it as the first x stitches of the NEXT row.
knitting_4_baby (02-28-2008)
Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Many directions will say BO 2 sts at each side, but that really means BO 2 sts at the beginning of the next 2 rows because you can't BO as you're doing the end of a row.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
knitting_4_baby
Casting On

Ah ok! So if I need to decrease by 2 at each end of the knitting, would I need to bind off 4 stitches on each row instead of 2? I'm making leg holes for a wool soaker and so need the two leg holes to be the same. Basically, I started with 42 stitches, and after 8 rows of binding off 2 at each end, I need to end up with 10 stitches on the needle. For my first row, I only cast off two stitches at the beginning. Should I re-do the row and cast off four?

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
MMario
Turning the Heel

The alternative - knit until 2 stitches remain on the left needle. pass the last stitch over the first stitch on the left needle. Return the last stich knit to the left needle and pass the remaining sitch over that stich then slip the single stitch back to the right needle.: turn and bindoff the two stitches at beginning of next row. so yeas, essentially binding off 4 stitches at beginniing of the rowl
Old 02-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
knitting_4_baby
Casting On

Ah great, thanks!! I've just tried several rows like this and it seems to be working!! Will post a photo once I am done! (It is my first knitting project :-))