Old 03-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
Questions about Tunisian Crochet
I am a knitter who would love to learn to crochet. Since there are no classes in my area, I have to try to learn via the 'net. :( I watched some videos on NexStitch and gave it a whirl. When I saw the Tunisian Crochet videos, I thought I would try it (since my attempts at traditional crochet were pitiful). I REALLY like Tunisian Crochet and so far have only tried the simple stitch. Here's my problem: My left hand edge is sloppy looking. The rest of my stitches look pretty good. It's just the left hand edge that looks sloppy and uneven. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Mike
Working the Gusset

I would guess that you are either not pulling through only one loop for the first stitch all the time or when you're picking up your loops you aren't picking up the same on that last loop (which is like a half loop because you only pulled through one on the hook).

I don't have much to look at. Most of mine are fur and static has felted the one straight Tunisian fur I have. But I do remember thinking the one I did from Annie's really needed the fringe to clean it up.
You could do a SC border to clean it up if it's just the way the method comes out.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by knitpurlgurl View Post
I am a knitter who would love to learn to crochet. Since there are no classes in my area, I have to try to learn via the 'net. :( I watched some videos on NexStitch and gave it a whirl. When I saw the Tunisian Crochet videos, I thought I would try it (since my attempts at traditional crochet were pitiful). I REALLY like Tunisian Crochet and so far have only tried the simple stitch. Here's my problem: My left hand edge is sloppy looking. The rest of my stitches look pretty good. It's just the left hand edge that looks sloppy and uneven. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!
Check out this site:http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com...an_crochet.php
See if it helps
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
There is a guy that comes to our social knitting sometimes and he mostly does Tunisian crochet. Here's his blog.
http://www.ayarnifiedlife.blogspot.com/

He also has some other Tunisian crochet links.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

Hi knitpurlgirl,

The problem you're having is not unusual I think, I had it too. Easlily overcome with a slight change in how the last stitch is done. Pick up your work and look at it while you read the next bit, hopefully it'll help make what I'm saying clear. There are three vertical threads in that very last stitch of the row. At the end of each row when I stick the hook into the last stitch of the previous row, instead of putting it between the VERY last two of the three threads (leaving just one thread to form the edge), I put it between the first two of the three, which leaves 2 threads to form the outer edge of the stitch. That firms up the stitch considerably.

I hope that's clear enough for you to follow.
knitpurlgurl (03-08-2008)
Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
jacquiw
Casting On

There is a Tunisian crochet group on yahoo with lots of links and files you can check out and they give a lot of help.Kim Guzman has wonderful patterns and tutorials on her site.Nextstitch is good to, thre are some tutorials on You Tube as well.I am self taught (before the internet) and have done a lot of things. Don't give up, experiment, experiment ,experiment and don't ever be afraid to ask for help. I love Tunisian and originally worked out how to do it as i wanted to make hubby a sweater and he didn't want it to look crocheted and I couldn't knit. So I made up a pattern in Tunisian knit stitch . I would suggest if you are keen 101 Tunisian stitches book if you can get it .Happy hooking!
jacquiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
cheley
Working the Gusset

Hi Knitpurlgurl. Are you still looking for a video??? Go to General Knitting, check out "What kind of cast on" (posted by me) Look at "Helen of Troys" you tube videos, on the sidebar is a couple wonderful Tunisian Videos....Good Luck
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
BonnieBj
Ribbing the Cuff

Tunisian crochet
What Country Girl says is correct. Make sure that whewn you insert your hook into the last stitch you can see 2 vertical threads to the left of your hook and then continue as usual.

Any book about corcheting that covers the various techniques should have a chapter on Tunisian/afghan crochet. Also crochet stitch dictionaries. Some are better than others. Check your bookstores and then try to find the same thing at Amazon.com. You'll save tons of money that way. I would recommendDonna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet as it has a very nice section on learning the technique itself for both left and righ-handed folks, as well as projects and a stitch gallery. The color illustrations are really great. Also a number of years ago Leisure Arts put out leaflet 2501 - An Afghan Stitch Sampler, which has 52 different stitches plus all sorts of opther info about the technique. You might be able to find it on the web.

I do a lot of Tunisian because it is kinder to the hands than regular knitting and crocheting. And the finished work looks so good! Glad to help if I can.
BonnieBj is offline   Reply With Quote