Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #21
princess
1st Leg of the Journey

sunshine, i appreciate your comments. I never said i wanted a newer car though, i clearly stated an older honda(reliable, not necessarily uber cool) would make me perfectly happy. And reliebility is sometimes an issue with the vibe, but i deal with that as it happens.

and i CANT afford a car loan because im up to my neck in student loans!!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #22
princess
1st Leg of the Journey

truble, you dont know me so please dont judge me.

i payed for half of my first car, i payed all my gas and car insurance too, and still do (only part of the insurance now because it went up )

and i am completely offended that you would compare me to paris hilton. I said my parents owe me, i didnt say i have to have everything i want. So if your 17 year old cant make payment on his rent one month you will abandon him and let his credit get tarnished and eviction threats? my parents would step in and help, that is what i mean when i say "owe"
Old 03-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by princess View Post
for some reason quoting wont work for me so i will just have to name names :P

knittingnat, i understand what you are saying, but what none of you realize is that i have to pinch pennies too. When i HAVE to buy clothes, i get them at a consigment shop. I have a small budget for groceries, very small. I have at times thought of going to the schools food bank, but have decided that there are probably people who need it a little more than me, so i deal with my ramen everyday. I work 25 hours a week in addition to full time school. I know there are plenty of people who work more and have more on their plate, but i struggle with school so its a hard balance for me. And with the little time i have left i volunteer since i cant afford to donate to charity, i tutor english to foreign students, i volunteer at the local hospital, and last semester i did an after school tutoring program for the local middle school. I know what its like to not be able to make a credit card payment, i know what its like to struggle, maybe not as much as others here, but i have an idea. I dont understand why this one fact about a car is causing me to become this spoiled brat in everyones eyes and it really upsets me, yes im "lucky" but not enough to deserve all this.

im sorry i ever posted this thread

Princess, doing all of this in addition to school and work is amazingly wonderful and you should be proud of yourself. Your selflessness is inspiring. But, it makes one wonder why you care about a car? Do you understand? You, more than a lot of people, see what not having much really means. That's why it's confusing as to why you feel it's so necessary to feel comfortable in your car. I understand the break-in period with a new car, but not the "feeling that's it not mine" sort of thing. I am sincerely not trying to be rude or to upset you. I don't think anyone is. But you did post this thread and we're just giving opinions not critiques on you personally. We get that your disappointed, but we can't figure out what you were hoping for instead.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #24
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

If the car is not reliable that is a completely different issue and one I'm sure you can discuss with your folks. Maybe thank them immensely (sp?) than bring up the issues with it and ask them to help you figure out a plan to get something else. Don't keep it inside - they'd want to know.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #25
truble2301
Ribbing the Cuff

and i am completely offended that you would compare me to paris hilton. I said my parents owe me, i didnt say i have to have everything i want. So if your 17 year old cant make payment on his rent one month you will abandon him and let his credit get tarnished and eviction threats? my parents would step in and help, that is what i mean when i say "owe"
I am sorry you're offended. The second half of this comment of yours, though, is completely twisting what I said.

If you want to go back and define what you mean by "owe," that's entirely your privilege. I took the word at its usual definition.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

You're 19. Give yourself a few years, a few kids, a few job disappointments, a few extra bills that you didn't ask for, a few new friends, maybe even a few husbands and you'll soon understand that having a blinging car isn't what makes your life happy. Right now it seems like a big thing, life will show you it isn't. Alot of us wish the only thing we had to worry about right now was whether our cars were cool. Some of us have health issues, kid issues, financial issues, parent issues (elderly parents), death of spouse issues, loss of home issues, I could go on and on.
You can't be to blame, you are young.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #27
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

for some reason quoting wont work for me so i will just have to name names :P

knittingnat, i understand what you are saying, but what none of you realize is that i have to pinch pennies too. When i HAVE to buy clothes, i get them at a consigment shop. I have a small budget for groceries, very small. I have at times thought of going to the schools food bank, but have decided that there are probably people who need it a little more than me, so i deal with my ramen everyday. I work 25 hours a week in addition to full time school. I know there are plenty of people who work more and have more on their plate, but i struggle with school so its a hard balance for me. And with the little time i have left i volunteer since i cant afford to donate to charity, i tutor english to foreign students, i volunteer at the local hospital, and last semester i did an after school tutoring program for the local middle school. I know what its like to not be able to make a credit card payment, i know what its like to struggle, maybe not as much as others here, but i have an idea. I dont understand why this one fact about a car is causing me to become this spoiled brat in everyones eyes and it really upsets me, yes im "lucky" but not enough to deserve all this.

im sorry i ever posted this thread
I don't think you should be sorry for posting, i think you got some different opinions about the matter. You can't always expect a pat on the back from everyone, life is more complicated than that, IMHO. There have been a few controversial threads about issues far more complicated and everyone expressed their opinions, as long as it wasn't offensive. I never suggested you are a spoiled brat, i just pointed out that this car is a great gift that you should appreciate. Obviously, you're a hard working person that definitely knows what money is. You can't always rely on your parents for help, because they're your parents. My parents can't afford themselves many things and i will never ask for help. I argue with my mother how much will she put into my birthday present . Sometimes written posts sound differently than the writer meant, that's why i tried to re-read my posts, but i see you got offended anyway. I'm sorry you feel this way. This forum has helped me on many different occasions with good advice and a friendly shoulder and i think you shouldn't be afraid to post, but always re-read your posts, just to make sure you've written what you meant in the clearest way you could.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #28
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
My first car which my mom did supply was a 1979 station wagon ( i started driving it in 1992) with a tailgate. That's right like a pick up truck. I swear you could fit at least 8 of my closest friends in that thing, it was cream color and it was my grandmothers before it became a second car for my family. You could only put 1/4 tank of gas in it because otherwise the tank would leak and the speedometer did not work, you guessed how fast you were going. But all in all it was a way to get from point A to point B. Not a great looking vehicle by any means but it still meant some freedom. I know how you feel but eventually you will be able to drive the one car that you want and feel cool again but for now this is it and just be thankful it's not from 1979 with a tailgate. LOL.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #29
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

third, i still see it as "moms" car. As a hand me down i dont think i will ever be able to call it mine. Its just always been "her" car and i will always see it that way, and i want it to feel like "mine"
I know im being spoiled, and ungrateful its just that im super disappointed by the whole mess. I was so excited to inherit it, and now its a mess of problems and just hasnt settled with me very well :/[/quote]

So above is part of your original post where you say that the car will never feel like it is yours b/c it was your moms...well, if you sell the Vibe to buy another used car, how is that anymore yours? It was someone elses first, maybe even 3 other peoples first. Also, you can't get mad at everyone else for implying you are spoiled when you yourself said " I know I'm being spoiled and ungrateful." I have to admit your financial situation and that of your parents is of no concern to me. If they can afford to give you a car that's great for you. I'm really sorry you don't like the car and seem to feel it's such "a mess" that your parents GAVE you a car. I felt the same way at 19 when I BOUGHT an 82 plymoth reliant 2 door 2 tone car from the neighbor and OMG it had am radio only and no a/c, had to roll the windows down and actually put the key in the door to lock and unlock it !! I used to park 3 miles from my destination and walk. Not sure what you expected us to say in reply to your post.... you have a nicer, newer, free car than many of us are paying loans on and complaining about "the whole mess." I get that life sucks at times and the definition of "sucks" varies for everyone.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #30
photolady

maybe she doesn't like the car because her mom was the driver.
maybe it just feels "icky" to be driving mom's car.

who knows?

Princess, I hope you get what you want.
You're blessed with having youth, and vitality, and the whole world ahead of you.
Enjoy life, and make that car you want one of your goals. You'll be really happy when you achieve that goal.

Princess, I know what it's like to be in an area of town where everyone is spoiled. It drains you. Hopefully, when you graduate, you can move to a side of town where it doesn't matter what type of car, what size house, what kind of clothes, you have, matters. Get away from those types, and live amongst real people, who appreciate all they have, and aren't eaten up with pride.

Closed Thread