Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I'm nervous about trying this...
I finished a whole sock. Cuff down. Looks great. Started second sock, got to the heel and realized that I didn't do enough heel rows on the first sock. I'm using real sock yarn instead of worsted weight so I was pretty excitable and anxious to get it done and misread my hash marks and instead of 32 rows I only did, like, 17.

So, I thought I'd finish the sock I'm working on, which is done correctly, and then frog the first sock back to just before the heel and start over. I watched Amy's video about inserting the needle into your destination row before frogging which was a big help but I'm nervous about doing it.

Has anyone done this with a sock? I use dpns by the way and don't have a cable needle with size 3 points so I can't put the stitches on a cable needle. Am I whistling Dixie to try this?
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
What I would do is just pull out the stitches until you're almost where you want to be. Then pop out one stitch at a time and insert your needle.

Picking up a destination row on thin yarn is not as easy as with thicker yarn, and often you'll end up picking up on different rows and then doing a lot of futzing with it.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Thanks, Ingrid. That's exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. I'm worried about just messing the whole thing up (with the obvious accompaniment of coarse language, of course ) But, if I do end up frogging the whole thing, the worst thing that happens is that I get the pleasure of knitting the whole sock over again, right?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Exactly. We're not working with chisels and marble here.

Stitches that have been knit don't want to run and come undone. They usually stay put long enough for you to slip a needle in.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
But, if I do end up frogging the whole thing, the worst thing that happens is that I get the pleasure of knitting the whole sock over again, right?
You have a great attitude about it. Isn't it nice that socks don't really take that long?

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Debkcs View Post
You have a great attitude about it. Isn't it nice that socks don't really take that long?
Amen, sister! I love socks. Such a sense of accomplishment and awe in turning a heel. I get the same feeling every time.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Just an update to let you know that my frogging was successful. Hubby watched me last night and couldn't believe what I was doing. I didn't even get frustrated which is a major accomplishment!!!

Ingrid, your suggestion worked perfectly. Thank you, thank you.

The best thing about this is that I'm already at my favorite part of the sock to knit!!