Old 03-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
Chel
Turning the Heel

I also stopped buying my cat litter at Wal-Mart. It seemed it lacked the ingredient that made it clump tightly.

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by VictoiseC View Post
oh my god! So I'm right! I can't believe it, I didn't pay attention better and it took me quite a while, we just went and bought a whole bunch at Walmart and then I saw they (we're talking TWO cats here also not just one finicky) wouldn't touch it, sometimes they just walk away. Yet when I get the more expensive one here inthecity they EAT IT! ah hah! Thanks so much for sharing this info coz this is important. I hate to tell you this but this really good pet store around the corner from me here in the city, they carry great stuff (pet food humans could eat, no byproducts) this employee told me that byproducts well, some companies actually use dead cats & dogs. How about that?

Sorry if you haven't heard that but she was adamant it's true.

And yeah, pasty is the exact word, the Walmart chicken is really almost grayish and pasty, looks awful. I'm not shopping there ANYMORE. Thanks again, god! I hate they underestimate our animals health!
I've heard it was roadkill. You know the DOT does collect it. They have to do something with it, right? Ugh.

Kelly
Old 03-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

{/quote} Dogs and cats can't digest that crap, they don't need it! No wonder my dog was such a Fart Monster before I switched him over to a cleaner food. [/quote]

That's hilarious. Well sort of! A couple years ago I started giving my two cats raw or sometimes cooked a wee bit, chicken livers and also I buy some cheap shrimp every other week. They flip out over that food and I noticed my girl of 14 improved tremendously, her coat got shinier and she had more pep. I do that regularly. I have a book on making pet food and it's such darn good stuff but I am so lazy to do all that. I try once in a while, maybe I'll try harder some more.

My DH decided to take the bull by the horns, he's wrote Fancy Feast (owned by Purina) today to try and get an answer if they have a special grade for Walmart. Will keep you posted. I'm going to try and return it to Walmart coz I bought a huge bunch of the rotten stuff.

I tend not to smell the cat food, but oh boy, maybe I should start.
I went out and bought a bunch of nice food today...Science diet and this fantastic stuff... Weruva, have you tried it? Yeah it's expensive but I love em to death... Weruva has such cool stuff, Mideast Feast, Grilled Tilapia, Chicken Soup and it's real pieces of fish and they just went crazy over it today. I think they were starving coz they wouldn't eat the Walmart stuff.

Okey doke.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Hamalee... yeah I knew all that crap was in there. by products

Roadkill!!!! What's DOT? oh, dept of transportation right... Well roadkill's better than chicken beaks and sick cows!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #15
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Yeah I have noticed it doesn't taste the same.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #16
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
Yeah I have noticed it doesn't taste the same.
wouldya say beer or wine with it Mason?

Here is the reply I got today from Purina/Fancy Feast:

Thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.

The situation you encountered is an unusual occurrence and certainly not typical of our products. We appreciate you bringing your comments to our attention. They have been noted and are being reported to the appropriate individuals in our Company.

We are at a loss to explain why your pets did not enjoy the product from this particular package. Please know that there have been no changes in the formula, quality of ingredients or method of manufacturing this product. The same formulation is shipped to all stores.

We are most anxious to restore your confidence in our products. Thus, we are mailing a complimentary coupon for your use. Also, to help make up for some of your inconvenience, we are including several high value discount coupons we hope you'll use the next time you purchase Nestlé Purina PetCare Company products.

Again, thank you for visiting our web site.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #17
jamiejeans
Knitting the Flap

My cats are on a special prescription diet, so I can't say from personal experience. BUT my mother swears that the Walmart Fancy Feast is lesser quality than the Fancy Feast she's bought at other stores.
I would not doubt that Walmart has lower quality cat food despite the item being a national name brand. Many of these big chain stores do this sort of thing. They are capable of buying such large quantities that the manufacturers can run an entirely seperate lower quality production line. Same goes for Home Depot. Many of their home repair items, particularly the plumbing items, are made with cheap plastic "innards" when the same item sold at a plumbing supply company has copper and brass "innards". My husband is a plumber and warns people to never buy things like faucets, etc, at Home Depot and Lowes because its an inferior product despite the name brand on the package.
I've also noticed that other items bought at Walmart are lower quality than items bought at my grocery store. For example, my paper towels at Walmart are thinner than the same brand at my grocery store.

Check out my neglected blog for finished objects and other humors:
www.squawkergirl.blogspot.com

My website: http://jamiejeanjewelry.com
MY ETSY:
http://jamiejeanjewelry.etsy.com
jamiejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #18
knitgal
Working the Gusset

This is interesting. I live in Canada and I don't buy my cat food at Walmart (we do have them though), but I used to feed my cat Fancy Feast and she loved it. One day she just sort of stopped eating it. She just wouldn't eat. At this point I was reading a lot about what is in cat food and I switched her to a grain free natural food. I didn't think anyone else had noticed a difference in Fancy Feast, or I never thought of it. It's strange because she would literally prance to her food bowl when the FF was in it, but then eventually she just stopped eating it all together.
On a separate note- My parent's cat died from eating the tainted pet food. It was very sad and they didn't know what it was at the time.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:31 PM   #19
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Oh! I meant to add to my earlier post that when we feed the cats, our dog always comes and helps herself to licking the spoon. Every time. She never misses a chance for a quick beef lick.

But I would say about 6 months ago I had bought a batch at stupidmart and I went to feed the boys and my dog came, as always, and I held it down for her to lick and she looked at it, smelled it and walked away!! Can you even picture that! A dog turning her nose at a free lick of food. That opened my eyes quite quickly. My one cat did turn his head a few times when I fed it to him, but he did eat it.

It's just not right that people can do this to innocent creatures.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #20
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Originally Posted by bailsmom View Post
...I went to feed the boys and my dog came, as always, and I held it down for her to lick and she looked at it, smelled it and walked away!! Can you even picture that! A dog turning her nose at a free lick of food. That opened my eyes quite quickly.
I definitely use my dogs as food tastiness barometers. If they won't eat something I've made or pull out of the fridge I don't even try. Straight into the trash can!

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote