Old 03-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
More questions from a newbie crocheter
Okay, I think I got the sc down. I started practicing the dc, but have some questions:

1.) Will you always end up with less stitches than you started with in your foundation chain?

2.) I keep decreasing at the end somehow... I think I am having a hard time seeing the last stitch. I am chaining 3 at the end of each row, so that's not the issue. When I count my vertical bars or my stitches, I keep decreasing one every row. I end up with a piece of work that looks like a semi-circle. Do you think it is the last stitch that I am not seeing clearly? How can I remedy that?

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It probably is the last st in the turning chain of the row before. You should only end up with 1 less st than the foundation chain if you're doing sc, and most patterns take this into consideration - chain 21, sc 20 sts. Maybe you should use a large hook so the sts will be bigger and you can see them easier.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
It probably is the last st in the turning chain of the row before. You should only end up with 1 less st than the foundation chain if you're doing sc, and most patterns take this into consideration - chain 21, sc 20 sts. Maybe you should use a large hook so the sts will be bigger and you can see them easier.
How many stitches less than your foundation chain will you have if you dc?

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
Mike
Working the Gusset

Instead of thinking of your foundation chain as all chains and skipping, think of it as chaining the amount you want and then doing the required chains for your turn. So you ch1 for sc, ch2 for hdc, ch3 (or ch2 depending on how you learned) for dc, ch4 (or ch3 depending on how you learned) for tc, ch 5 (or ch4 depending on how you learned) for dtc.

So if you're doing dc and you want a row 20 stitches, ch20, ch3, turn and put your first dc in that 20th chain.
In reality you ch23 and skip 3 to put that first stitch in.

What I do to mark that last stitch of a row on a stitch type I have problems with is before I make the chain(s) to turn I put a marker around the loop on the hook. Make the required chain(s), put another marker around the loop on the hook, wrap the hook (if required), put the hook in the stitch below it with the maker. Complete the stitch. Then you can remove the marker from the row below.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
knitpurlgurl (03-09-2008)
Old 03-09-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
Mike
Working the Gusset

You can also make your foundation chain long and then "untie" any extra chains you have hanging off the end when you get that first row of XX stitches done.

That's what I do when I want a blanket XX inches and am not sure how many stitches it will need. I make a long chain and stitch until I'm a little longer than my desired length and pull out any extra chains left over.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
aztec_judy
Ribbing the Cuff

KnitPurlGurl ... when working with dc, double crochet ..
say it says to chain up 23 turn and dc into the 3 stitch from hook and work across ..

you will be working in 20 stitches.. an will always do the ch 3 for a turning chain at the end of the row. ok ... (I do a chain 2 cause I don't care for the hole at the end of a row.) but to each her own way. OK !!!

the very top loop of that chain 3 IS a stitch ok !!! that is possibly where you are missing the stitch. it is where we all miss it. OK

I hope this helps you out ..
aztec_judy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aztec_judy For This Useful Post:
knitpurlgurl (03-09-2008)
Old 03-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

I find it helpful to place a stitch marker in the top of the turning chain. Then I can always find the correct stitch for that row.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bjc1050 For This Useful Post:
knitpurlgurl (03-11-2008)
Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
Little Audrey
Ribbing the Cuff

All the suggestions here are good; however, none of them would have worked for me when I had this same problem! I was pulling a stitch too tight; sometimes it was the first stitch in the chain, sometimes the "turning" stitch(es). If the first row of sc turned out the correct number, the second row would be one short .... You might try to leave your first chain and last/turning chain stitches loose & see if that helps you "find" them when working the sc into them. Hope it helps!
Little Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Audrey For This Useful Post:
PamJ (03-16-2008)
Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
aztec_judy
Ribbing the Cuff

if ya'll would read what she is saying .. she has single crochet ..
its the DOUBLE CROCHET She is having problems with !! NOT sc .. but DC ... ok ...
aztec_judy is offline   Reply With Quote