Old 03-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
photolady

LEft handed knitting
Help. PLEASE!
I need to learn how to knit left handed.

I saw the continental knitting vid here, and didn't get much from that.
How do I teach a lefty how to hold the needles, cast on, knit, and purl?
Do they mirror me?
I need to know how to do left handed knitting, myself, in order to teach them.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
flutterbudget
Casting On

My grandmother was left handed and she taught me to knit when I was very young. I forgot most of it and am re-learning now, but she did not do it like the continental video. She held the yarn in her left hand but she worked the stitches from the right needle to the left one. So, I'd guess it's basically mirroring what you would do. I'm sure there are other methods also, though.
flutterbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flutterbudget For This Useful Post:
photolady (03-12-2008)
Old 03-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I recently taught at a workshop at my job, and though several people were left handed, I taught them 'right handed' knitting. I also taught another lefty to knit a while back.

The lefties all made a point that they couldn't knit 'my' way because of their left-handedness, but they all learned quite well.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes many lefthanded people were taught by righties, either English or continental. Show her how you knit and see how she does with it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
photolady (03-12-2008)
Old 03-11-2008, 04:58 AM   #5
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

I've taught many left-handed people how to knit.. (children included) and I just teach them the right handed way. I can help them better.. and both hands are working together and have important roles in knitting.

It's a little awkward for both left and right handed people.. but, it's an easy skill.. it's not one that requires STRENGTH..

I just taught a left handed friend how to knit a couple of months ago and I even asked her if she wanted to 'try' to figure out what I was doing 'right-handed' and reversing it left-handed.. and she totally wanted to learn how my way.. she's a teacher (school) too and she agreed with me.. that both hands are working together and she said that it's not a difficult skill to learn to poke a stick in a hole and wrap yarn around it. :D

She has already learned how to do many, many different skills as a knitter.. she's done a lace scarf, a basketweave scarf, working on a cabled scarf right now, and several other knitting skills. She will be moving soon and is learning as much as she can while we are in the same location.
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iwouldratherbeknitting For This Useful Post:
photolady (03-12-2008)
Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
psquidy
Turning the Heel

This comes up all the time. I've taught two left handed people how to knit and I just had them do it the same way I do. And they actually do better than most. You have to use both hands when knitting. It doesnt' matter what the persons prominant hand is.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
o0Sparrow0o
Casting On

I am a lefty and I knit right-handed. I did not have any trouble learning. No more than you usually have learning something new. I tried knitting left-handed, i.e. mirror of right-handed, but it was so much trouble having to transpose all the patterns that I gave it up very quickly! The Continental method and the English method are both right-handed knitting, the difference is in how you hold the yarn.

There is a tip on how to learn left-handed or mirror knitting at the bottom of the knit video page.

Last edited by o0Sparrow0o : 03-11-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: This might help...
o0Sparrow0o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to o0Sparrow0o For This Useful Post:
photolady (03-12-2008)
Old 03-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
While many left handed knitters do just fine knitting right handed there are some resources out there.

http://learn-to-knit.com/
http://leftoutknitter.com/

The biggest problem I've seen with actual left hand knitters is that they are hard to teach unless they can find someone else who knits left handed. There is a woman at our LYS social knitting group who knits left handed and we were learning some new techniques and she struggled trying to figure it out in reverse.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
photolady (03-12-2008)
Old 03-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

My daughter is a lefty and when learning to do a chord on her guitar she sits opposite her Dad and simply mirrors him. She likes to go with her strengths adn that is left-handedness. Works for her beautifully.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:28 AM   #10
truble2301
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by CountryKitty View Post
My daughter is a lefty and when learning to do a chord on her guitar she sits opposite her Dad and simply mirrors him. She likes to go with her strengths adn that is left-handedness. Works for her beautifully.
Exactly how I learned! I'm a lefty and mirrored a righty. Sure, my process looks a little odd to right-handed people, but theirs looks odd to me. The only things I've had to really work on a bit are SSK vs. K2tog and kitchnering. Other than that, no big deal. I can knit righty, but it's extremely awkward and clumsy and the gauge is inconsistent. I do disagree that knitting righty is just as easy for a lefty to learn as knitting lefty, but I understand that there just aren't too many lefty teachers out there either.

This web site has a pattern for socks knitted left-handed and includes instructions and a diagram for left-handed kitchnering that is just wonderful. I finally could do it correctly! http://knittingleft.com/index.php?ma...9e0d8dc64496c8
truble2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to truble2301 For This Useful Post:
photolady (03-12-2008)