Old 03-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
noejusti
1st Leg of the Journey

"No Dye Lot" striping in my work!- gotta vent.
So I am making "Snowflakes on Red" sweater from Patons "Big Chill" pattern book- it is a whole bunch of fairisle patterns that are really cute Nordic-styled sweaters. This is my first fairisle project and I got through it really well. Using Red Heart "Soft Yarn" in seafoam and cream for the snowflake patterns, which is surprisingly soft. I finished the back piece and realized that there is a visible color change from where I added in the new skein of yarn after the armhole shaping! It's No Dye Lot! And it is Red Heart yarn! It's not supposed to do that! Now I have to rip out 33 rows. I am very upset. And I gave up chocolate for Lent, so I can't even cheer myself up with that.

V.

noejusti is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
There was a thread a while ago that all of the traditional no dye lot yarns are now in that kind of state. One person mentioned that no dye lot now means no matching...

Sorry it goofed up your project!

knit2btied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

What a pain! I've never used "no dye lot" yarn, but those words scare me none the less. I'm sorry that happened to you!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
How big of an area is it that is different. I just learned of a new technique (from Silver) where you cut out the bad spot and graft it back together instead of ripping out the whole thing. If it's not too big a spot you may be able to do that.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
noejusti
1st Leg of the Journey

rippit!
The area about halfway up the armhole and all the way up to the shoulders (about 33 rows) is slightly a different shade. My husband says you can only notice it when the light hits it a certain way, but it still bothered me. I ripped it out. And I ran a red lifeline a couple of rows below where I had joined the new yarn, ripped down to that lifeline, and then did a technique I had learned from the Rowan denim yarn- I knit two rows with the new yarn, and then two rows with the old yarn, and two rows of the new yarn, until the old yarn ran out. I can still notice the difference in color shades. I will see how it goes from there. Maybe it will work itself out in the laundry? (I thought this yarn was colorfast) It is a good thing that it is the back of the work and I have long hair, so it shouldn't be that noticeable. And hopefully, the eye will be drawn to the bottom of the sweater where the fairisle snowflakes are. I just hope this doesn't happen on the front or the sleeves.

V.

noejusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
hocns
1st Leg of the Journey

IMO, "no dye lot" is synonomous with "cheap". I have never come across a beautiful yarn that has no dye lot.
hocns is offline   Reply With Quote