Old 03-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
outdoordrea
Knitting the Flap

M1F/M1B equivalent to knit/purl?
I'm doing some increases within a ribbing pattern (one stitch increase on each end of a row), and am wondering if the M1F/M1B is in any way equivalent to a knit or purl stitch? In other words, I'm looking for an increase stitch to use as a knit or a purl stitch within my ribbing pattern. TIA.

*ETA: How do I determine which side of the work/row gets a M1F versus a M1B? I found the videos that explain how to do each on a purl stitch, btw.

Last edited by outdoordrea : 03-10-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Adding another question
outdoordrea is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
cam90066
Working the Gusset

M1F or M1B can be worked on either RS or WS (there are vids for both K and P versions). The 'F' and 'B' refer to how you pull up the strand so that it's twisted (to prevent a hole). If you do the inc on the K side you K into the F or B depending on the angle you want. Same for P.

cam
Old 03-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
outdoordrea
Knitting the Flap

Another question along the same vein...since in order to M1F/M1B, you must first have a stitch on the right needle (continental style), my question is does it matter that the increase is not the first stitch?

Also, I'm confused about the slant label, meaning M1R slants the stitch to the right, although in the picture (on this site), it looks like M1L/F slants to the right -- increasing on the right hand side of the work. What am I missing?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Yes, you need to be at least one st in from the edge to do the lifted sts. (As I mentioned in your previous thread I don't like doing them on the edge for seaming purposes.) BTW, whether you knit cont or Eng isn't a factor.

The L/R, F/B can be confusing. For right slant, make sure the lifted st is twisted (back/left leg to the front)...work thru the front. For left slanting, st should sit the same as your other sts but is worked thru the back.

Some add'l static images here. Follow versions below pics (so no hole).

cam
Old 03-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
outdoordrea
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by cam90066 View Post
Yes, you need to be at least one st in from the edge to do the lifted sts. (As I mentioned in your previous thread I don't like doing them on the edge for seaming purposes.) BTW, whether you knit cont or Eng isn't a factor.

The L/R, F/B can be confusing. For right slant, make sure the lifted st is twisted (back/left leg to the front)...work thru the front. For left slanting, st should sit the same as your other sts but is worked thru the back.

Some add'l static images here. Follow versions below pics (so no hole).

cam
How would you choose to increase 1 stitch on each end in a ribbing pattern for seaming purposes (just curious at this stage, as I've already knitted 8 inches)?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
cam90066
Working the Gusset

I don't do edge incs and would opt for the M1 versions in a rib application. If you prefer to do the inc on the sel st, then you could do Kfb as it'll be in your seam and you don't have to be concerned about the 'bar' at the base impacting your st pattern.

cam
outdoordrea (03-10-2008)
Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
outdoordrea
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the suggestion on kfb, Cam. I've been doing those (I found the video for kfb on a purl stitch, too), and it's making the whole thing a lot easier to keep to the ribbing pattern.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
cookie48193
Casting On

M1F
I am doing some new stitches. M1F is among them but I think the same question would apply to to KRL and purl increase. Once I do the increase, should I also Knit or purl the next stitch and count it as if it were part of that increase?
cookie48193
cookie48193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
Welcome to KH!
I may not exactly understand but the increased stitch counts as just that, the extra stitch. The stitch that you use for the increase, say for the KRL or KLL, isn't part of the increase.

Counting these stitches only becomes a problem in a few patterns where is isn't clear whether the instructions are including the original stitch in the count or not (sometimes this happens in lace patterns). Usually you can figure this out by counting the number of sts across the row and seeing if it adds up to the sum you expect.