Old 02-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

The Other Boleyn Girl
Has anyone else read this book or plan on seeing the movie that opens this Friday? I have read the book (as well as all the others by Philippa Gregory) and am so excited to see this movie I can't stand it!! Also I love Natalie Portman - I watched a little clip of the movie, and it seems like she will be a great Anne. Oh, I can't wait for Friday!!

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I haven't read the book yet, but I'm dying to! I really wanted to read it before the movie came out, but that just wasn't possible with all the reading I had for class. I absolutely LOVE movies like this and I can't wait to see it either. I think the casting looks good and that the costumes look great.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
I loved the book and will be going to see the movie.
Knitgal. I think it will almost be better to see the movie first. There is so much detail in the book, I can't imagine how everything will be portrayed in the movie. I am really looking forward to it though.
Right now I am reading The Virgin's Lover and have read The Boleyn Inheritance and The Constant Princess but The Other Boleyn Girl is definitely my favourite.
sue in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

For some reason, I really don't like Philippa Gregory's books. I should, because I love reading about the historical periods she writes about, but I just can't get into them. I might see the movie, though, because my mom loved the books.

One thing that's bothering me from the previews: couldn't they have gotten a red-haired actor to play Henry VIII?

If you liked her books, you might like the book The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir. It is non-fiction but it is so well done it feels like reading a good novel!

Rebecca
Old 02-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

i LOOOOOOOVE PG's books, but I had no idea there was a movie!!!! I hope they follow suit with the rest of the books in that cycle.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
AnnArrogance
Ribbing the Cuff

I read The Other Boleyn Girl and LOVED it! I've read all of her "Tudor" books--The Constant Princess, The Virgin's Lover, The Boleyn Inheritance, and The Queen's Fool, and it's easily my favorite. Although I loved The Constant Princess, too. I can't WAIT to see the movie, even though I know there's no way it'll be as good, and from the commercials I can already tell that they're going to be taking some liberties with the story.

I tried reading a couple of Philippa Gregory's other, non-Tudor books, though, and I HATED them. The two I read were more like really crappy, somewhat disturbing romance novels. Blech. I think I'll just stick to her Tudor titles. She seems to be able to balance the history/romance/intrigue elements well in those.

AnnArrogance

OTN: Arm-Warmers (still--major SSS!), Henry Scarf for DH, Socks for DH
March FO: Feral Fair Isles Dog Sweaters, 2 pairs of socks, Koolhaas Hat
Queue: 2 Feral Fair Isles Dog Sweaters, Ice Queen, Palindrome Hat, Sweet Dreams Throw, more socks, Fitzmaurice Sweater, Hardy Sweater
AnnArrogance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
BethLaf
Casting On

it looks to be a great period piece movie, the dh wants to see it too, so thats a good thing too :D
BethLaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
Lindsey H
Knitting the Flap

I read all of PG's Tudor books, except for the Constant Princess, last summer. I love them all. I love big books, especially historical fiction. I had no idea they were making a movie. After reading them it was really fun explaining to dh some of the the characters in the movie Elizabeth. He is usually the one explaining historical events to me. BTW Elizabeth and Elizabeth the Golden Age (I think those are the correct titles) are very good.

For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential. -- Hans Asperger
Lindsey H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by AnnArrogance View Post
I tried reading a couple of Philippa Gregory's other, non-Tudor books, though, and I HATED them. The two I read were more like really crappy, somewhat disturbing romance novels
Were these the Wideacre stories?? They were disturbing; I am forcing my way through the last one just to finish the series.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 AM   #10
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
I haven't heard of this one! Sounds interesting though, I may have to read the book (er..once I finish the 2 I have going now...lol).

On another note, however, anyone who likes the historical books should read Alison Weir's "Innocent Traitor" the story of the Lady Jane Grey. It's a wonderful book that is more fact than fiction despite it being labeled a fiction book.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
AnnArrogance (02-24-2008), KnitClickChick (02-21-2008)