Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Walmart Fancy Feast cat food: anyone notice a difference?
We buy Fancy Feast in the city (New York) and then also upstate at a Walmart. It's half price at Walmart, 65 cents to 75 cents in the city and only 45 cents or womething at the Walmart but

I've noticed a lot of it, the chicken in particular doesn't seem as nice and what's worse my cats won't touch it lately. It looks pretty awful. Do you think Walmart could have a special ... inferior grade made for them? hmmmmm

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

OK, that's weird. My cat loved, loved, loved the FF trout flavor but one day wouldn't eat it. She also quit eating the other flavors. We did buy some food at Walmart because we were there and they had the flavors she liked.
I just bought some more cans at Publix (supermarket here) and now she's loving it again. I was hesitant to buy anymore but figured I'd try it. I wonder if you are right? I know some companies will produce a lesser grade of product for some items but I wasn't sure they'd do it for food items.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by VictoiseC View Post
I've noticed a lot of it, the chicken in particular doesn't seem as nice and what's worse my cats won't touch it lately. It looks pretty awful. Do you think Walmart could have a special ... inferior grade made for them? hmmmmm
I've heard of companies making cheaper versions of their products exclusively for Wal-Mart, like electronics and computers, for example. They'll even give the ones that go to Wal-Mart different model numbers or particular serial numbers. I haven't heard of food companies making cheaper versions of their food for Wal-Mart, but judging from the quality of the produce and meat I've seen at my local Wally World, it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
Ramona from Sensual Knits

FO:
Several dishcloths

annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Nothing Walmart does to cut costs surprises me. I wouldn't buy pet food there. I was lucky that what my dogs eat wasn't among the recalled pet foods last year.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by annomalley View Post
I've heard of companies making cheaper versions of their products exclusively for Wal-Mart, like electronics and computers, for example. They'll even give the ones that go to Wal-Mart different model numbers or particular serial numbers. I haven't heard of food companies making cheaper versions of their food for Wal-Mart, but judging from the quality of the produce and meat I've seen at my local Wally World, it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
That's true. I don't buy much from walmart anymore. I used to shop there a lot, but I hardly ever do anymore. I only go for like 2 specific things that I can't find anywhere else. Their stuff just keeps getting worse and worse... that's how they keep lowering prices.

I Publix.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Oh oh oh! Me me me!! I noticed a HUGE difference between walmart and Petsmart FF Tender Beef cat food a few months ago. The walmart's is dryer than the Petsmart. The Petsmart cans have a lot more 'juice' in them than walmart does. It seems more pasty, I think that's the word I'm looking for. My cats will eat either one so I don't think where I buy it it is any different. I only say that because my Max is the most finickiest cat on this planet and if he doesn't like something he won't touch it, he'd rather starve. But I would imagine that anything is possible, since these companies can poisen our animals without informing us of changes so, yes, I wouldn't put it past them.

But walmart is closer than Petsmart and sometimes so I do buy it when I'm there. Or should I say when they have any left. They always seem to be out of the Tender Beef flavor. So I do buy most of it at Petsmart.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

oh my god! So I'm right! I can't believe it, I didn't pay attention better and it took me quite a while, we just went and bought a whole bunch at Walmart and then I saw they (we're talking TWO cats here also not just one finicky) wouldn't touch it, sometimes they just walk away. Yet when I get the more expensive one here inthecity they EAT IT! ah hah! Thanks so much for sharing this info coz this is important. I hate to tell you this but this really good pet store around the corner from me here in the city, they carry great stuff (pet food humans could eat, no byproducts) this employee told me that byproducts well, some companies actually use dead cats & dogs. How about that?

Sorry if you haven't heard that but she was adamant it's true.

And yeah, pasty is the exact word, the Walmart chicken is really almost grayish and pasty, looks awful. I'm not shopping there ANYMORE. Thanks again, god! I hate they underestimate our animals health!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
beachgoddessme
Casting On

YEAH, AND HAVE YOU NOTICED THE SMELL? MY CAT IS PRETTY GOOD ABOUT EATING, I SWITCH AROUND FOR HER, FANCY FEAST BEING ONE OF HER STAPLES,BUT NOW SHE WONT TOUCH IT EITHER. THIS IS GETTING SCARY!! YOU DONT KNOW WHAT TO FEED YOUR CATS ANYMORE!!
beachgoddessme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by VictoiseC View Post
oh my god! So I'm right! I can't believe it, I didn't pay attention better and it took me quite a while, we just went and bought a whole bunch at Walmart and then I saw they (we're talking TWO cats here also not just one finicky) wouldn't touch it, sometimes they just walk away. Yet when I get the more expensive one here inthecity they EAT IT! ah hah! Thanks so much for sharing this info coz this is important. I hate to tell you this but this really good pet store around the corner from me here in the city, they carry great stuff (pet food humans could eat, no byproducts) this employee told me that byproducts well, some companies actually use dead cats & dogs. How about that?

Sorry if you haven't heard that but she was adamant it's true.

And yeah, pasty is the exact word, the Walmart chicken is really almost grayish and pasty, looks awful. I'm not shopping there ANYMORE. Thanks again, god! I hate they underestimate our animals health!
Okay, now that's just plain gross. I can't even wrap my brain around that concept. I hope to God she's wrong, ugh. But now I'm going to Petsmart today and not Walmart just in case she's right.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
It might not be dead cats and dogs specifically, but it is low-quality animal meat that can't be sold to humans: sick cows and horses, knuckles, bones, ligaments, chicken bits and pieces, etc. And in dog food they throw a lot of wheat gluten and corn byproducts as fillers.

Dogs and cats can't digest that crap, they don't need it! No wonder my dog was such a Fart Monster before I switched him over to a cleaner food.

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote